Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
On a couple occasions a few years ago, packed out myself. At 65, I still hunt solo, but I have friends to help if I harvest one.
And the last couple years, I've hunted more forgiving terrain and closer to home. Its way more now, that I just enjoy being out there, and never had expectations of great wall hangers, just some meat in the freezer.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I failed to mention and give "much" credit to my wife, who has packed elk quarters out. Most of these were short packs(most under a mile), but give her much credit for doing it. Just last year,she packed (only about 600 yrds.),a front quarter of a young 6x6 bull I lucked into. And, she did that with a "bum" knee that she's been fighting for two years now! We don't hunt was hard as we once did,hunt closer to the vehicle, and use the Polaris Ranger when we can, but we're still hunting!!!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Wife quit helping a couple of years ago after packing a bull quarter in thick brush kept yanking her off her feet. Now I do it myself. I hope to pack out a cow next week, might even go for a calf since they are so tender.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
I do. Had help this year but we both tagged out at the same time around four miles in so the selfish bastard wouldn't help me pack my elk.

Between drinking all of my beer and playing Tiddlywinks with those bear, I'm surprised you had time to pack an elk out.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That wasn't tiddly winks, it was grab-ass.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by centershot
I do it every year... if you're going to be dumb you'd better be tough.

Amen.......short memory helps also.

Kind of like child birth...

All but a handful of elk i've shot, i've had to pack out solo.

Every time I shoot one I swear I'm done with them, then a month later I'm making plans to go again.

It aint that bad..in hindsight.

Sounds just like me! I talked myself into another trip in a couple weeks! Every elk that I ever shot has come out in a pack. Ain't fun, but it sure feels good after you do it!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
That wasn't tiddly winks, it was grab-ass.

Kind of hard for me to tell, with all the bugling going on.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is how I prefer to pack elk out, I even help my buddies with theirs!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've packed out a few smaller elk solo. Nothing to be worried about.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
Taking notes Rock Chuck. Thinking those are for me soon.

If you're looking for someone to help with the investment, let me know.

Seriously.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

This year's pack out...

[Linked Image]

Nice!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

This year's pack out...

[Linked Image]

That chunk of blaze orange on the skull is a really, really, good idea.............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That chunk of blaze orange on the skull is a really, really, good idea.......
Years ago, my BIL's father owned a small business. He and several of his employees were deer hunting. He was sitting and watching a patch of quakies when he saw a buck walking through. He could clearly see the head and antlers as it moved between the trees. He got ready and when it appeared again, he was just about to touch one off when he thought he saw a glimpse of orange. He held off and saved an employee's life. The guy had shot a deer and was packing it on his back. The head was hanging over his shoulder with his head behind it's neck. The glimpse of orange was his hat.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got mules and a wife who wrangles. The packing out is actually the funnest part. Cold beer and the dogs get 2 come with.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tuff
I have multiple times. Furthest was 7 miles from the truck. This year was only a mile. I would rather pack solo then cut one up solo. They are just a pita to butcher in the steep stuff by yourself a lot of times.

What he said.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have packed two out alone. One was 1.75 miles and 2200 ft higher then the truck in super steep terrain. The other was 80 yds. from the truck on flat ground. So if you go by averages it was not bad, first came out over 2 days, Last one in a little over 2 hours........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This years bull I packed by myself. I was able to cheat by killing it in a road system closed to motorized access. About 2 5/8 miles all up hill to get my cart up to the Elk, the hard part. Then two easy downhill rolls back to the truck. It took all day to do it myself, But I was able to do it. Just put the last packages in the freezer after processing it in the shop.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm looking forward to the day that I get to do that.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Gutless method is key. Look it up on YouTube.

I've done several solo pack-outs and it's not so bad if you have the right gear and know what you are doing. That being said, it also pays to be in shape. I have a weighted vest and climb stadium stairs as part of my training. Our neighbor made a comment about me "being the retard (poor word choice, I know) always walking on the road...you know we have cars for a reason?!?"

He's a Texan and hunts from a 4-Wheeler. Guess who kills stuff and who doesn't?

If you are going to do it, get your butt in shape a couple of months in advance. If you are successful, your future self will thank you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Last two elk were packed out solo. This years was little over a mile from the road, at least it was mostly down hill. Still took over six hours from the time of the shot until I was finished.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.