Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago....
My partner and I have used a wheelbarrow numerous times to pack elk. It works fine as long as you don't have any uphill. It's better than a game cart on narrow, rocky trails where 2 wheels are too wide.

Some years ago, I shot a spike a couple miles back. I pushed my wheelbarrow up there and loaded up the meat. I'd only gone a few hundred yards when one of the wooden arms broke. I jury rigged a splint with a limb and started off again. I got another hundred yards when that broke. Anyway, I ended up backpacking it and the wheelbarrow is still there, tucked away in some 100 year old mining junk left from the past.

moral: a wheelbarrow works but DO NOT use a cheap, K-Mart version.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wheelbarrows are underrated.

I left a hunt to get some supplies in Durango some years ago, stopped to check out an area I was interested in along the way. Killed a buck there, then had the epiphany, "Oh oh, Now What?"

I remembered a little rental shop back down the road. The wheelbarrow made pretty short work of the haul-out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had help with some, but I've packed about 30 elk out by myself:

Some on a packframe. Had to spend the night with a hind quarter once in the Whitefish range in NW Montana. Just me, my rifle, the quarter of meat, and a book of matches.

A couple on a kids plastic toboggan, the toboggan didn't fare too well.

One bull 1/2 at a time in a wheelbarrow. I shot him about a mile up a Forest Service road, behind a locked gate. Luckily the road was dry and it was mostly downhill.

I've pulled several out, 1/2 at a time, on a thick sheet of plastic from Cabalas.

A couple more, 1/2 at a time, just over the snow.

I killed a spike bull one year fairly high on a mountain in the Madison Range south of Ennis, MT. The side of the mountain was snow covered so I tried to drag him down to the flats where I could easily get my horses. The slope was so steep that each time I started to drag him he would get moving too fast for me to keep in front of him, so I would step aside and he would slide 30-40 yards down the hill then pile up against a tree. After several times of doing that, I decided to get him sliding, then I just hopped on and rode him down until just before he would hit a tree, when I would jump off. I continued doing that all the way to the bottom of the mountain where my horses could pack him out in quarters.

One year I was able to pull a cow elk down off a mountain almost all the way to my car, but the last 200 yards was uphill, so I had to cut her in half for that. Then I had to split the halves to get her into the back of my Subaru.

For about 20 years I had a couple of horses, and they carried out my elk every year. I miss having horses now every elk season.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have packed out many of them At 70+ I can still get the job done. Last year I packed out a spike by myself, an easy hike 1.4 miles down a nice trail. Got help on two this year, the first bull being the largest but only 2+'miles out. The second was 4 miles out and on a good trail. Made 5 total trips between the two. A great year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Wheelbarrows are underrated.

We used to use 'em to pack in our camp back in VA, and then pack out deer. You can do two bucks at a time. You can put a heavy load of camp gear in a good wheelbarrow, and live like a king. Coleman stove and lantern, folding chairs, steaks, pork chops, taters & onions, beer, you name it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Last years "by myself pack out". The middle daughter was with me the week before and we packed her's out on our backs. She is a work horse and a good hand to have along. We even helped a couple of 70+ year old guys pack a bull out the day before we pulled hers out.

She wasn't along this trip so it was up to me. About a mile down a gradual incline. Just needed a little come along help to crest the incline into the pickup.

Brad couldn't have said it better, "if you're going to be dumb, you better be tough", lol.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can remember as a kid just starting, sitting in a saddle freezin my azz off and thinking "I aint ever doing this again". Been back out there every year since for almost 40 years now. Yes, being dumb and having a short memory does have it's advantages!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I ever get to slide one out in a sled whole, right into the truck, I'm taking pictures too.

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Ha, ya, the conditions were just right is all I can say. The pack frame was with me just in case I couldn't get it done. Hardest part was trying to run the come along and get her onto the lip of the endgate by myself but I got it done. That otter sled paid for itself right there. A Vietnam era casualty sled works good as well. Brought a spike out whole once on one of those, but I had help with that one.

I shot my cow elk this year in very steep country and as is the case 95% of the time, I was solo. Took me about 2 hours to quarter it out and hang it in a nearby tree. Country was so steep, that when I took the quarters off one side and had to roll it over, it kept going down hill. Did not stop for about 30 yards. Packed out my gear, backstraps and tenderloins the first trip by the time I got to my quad I was exhausted. Estimated I had to go straight up approximately 1,500 ft. Two more trips later, I could barely move. Ibuprofen kept me going.

Hope to do it all over again next year.

I prefer life in the fast lane, but I am married to a speed bump.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A couple years ago I read a story by Jim Zumbo. He said he shot an elk that went down in a patch of really thick brush. It took him 3 hrs just to turn it over to gut it. My thought was that there couldn't have been a better time for gutless field dressing.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sheepdawg
Ibuprofen kept me going.

That about sums up my trip this year too.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
CENTERSHOT -
I think you are good and nuts too along with most of these members.
So glad to hear from hardcore sportsmen and women.
Last bull I packed out was in six miles took my old legs over
3 days. I out lived my horses and then llamas so was on my own.
Two days after home bought a single mule.Now pack in and stash
supplys for scouting.Return each trip backpack hunting till meat
on the ground,go home for old griz mule. Lots of fun.
Works great for hunting alone. It used to really bother me that
a lot of folks take shortcuts but let them have their machines.
There was an old indian that returned an old Model A to Burro
Bill in Death Valley during the depression. At returning the
broke down auto for demand of his burrows back he left a note
"Ford No Good,tires all gone,bring back my mules". Thanks folks
for you finding value in some burden.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A couple years ago I read a story by Jim Zumbo. He said he shot an elk that went down in a patch of really thick brush. It took him 3 hrs just to turn it over to gut it. My thought was that there couldn't have been a better time for gutless field dressing.

I have had two go under logs while sliding down a steep snowy hill. The first one I did upside down under the log on my side. The second required a much larger younger man to get him where he could be cut up. Getting old isn't for the weak of heart.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by sheepdawg
Ibuprofen kept me going.

That about sums up my trip this year too.

Don't discount this, my knees and toes tell me it works. From my experience, don't mess with tablets. Get the crystals at GNC. However, if you are running bone on bone, probably won't help much.

I take approximately 2grams a day, which is above Arthritis Foundation recommendation.
Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.arthritis.org/living-wit...l/vitamins-minerals/vitamin-c-amount.php

Last edited by battue; 11/20/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Funny, 2 grams is my dose when I'm hunting in the mountains, and yes it works. Along with Voltaren gel.

Never heard of the crystals though, may have to check those out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Meloxicam 7.5mg is my drug of choice if needed.

Jeff probably just takes a puff. grin

Addition: If I don't get enough sleep, then guaranteed I'm going to hurt the next day. When you age-up, sleep is your mechanic.

Last edited by battue; 11/20/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've packed out the deboned meat of three elk, in a backpack, by myself. Two were cows and they each took three trips. One was a bull and it took four trips including the cape and antlers. The longest pack was a cow and it was 5 miles. But I haven't done that in this century.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I've packed more out by myself than I've had help with. The cow I shot this yr I was able to drive my tk to but I didn't have a come-along and I still had to quarter her out.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.