Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have been looking for a new truck to replace my 2000 Super Duty. I was going to get a loaded up F150 since they are rated to tow upwards of 11,000# and I never haul more than that ever, anymore. I can't seem to let go of this truck so I put a deposit down on a new Tacoma to use as a daily driver. They are $7000 cheaper than a 1/2 ton Ford or Dodge and I can keep both by doing this. Haven't bought anything other than a US named vehicle in about 13 years.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You'll love it Dennis....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GregW
You'll love it Dennis....

+1.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed with both of the above posters. I was always a Ford truck guy , then I bought a 09 Tacoma 6 years ago. I love the truck, don't do much hauling with it but it fits my needs perfectly. Mine has almost 190k miles on it , replaced the battery , rear leaf spring (recall) headlight bulbs and just last week rear U joints. Not bad for the mileage, i don't abuse it but I do use it for a truck. If its 2feet of snow between me and the hunting camp I'm going. You can't go wrong with a Tacoma, i have friends with the same trucks 300 -350k miles no real problems.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think you did the right thing. The new F-150's can be equipped to tow a lot, but the problem is payload capacity. You can pull the trailer, but not put anything in the truck other than the driver. Which doesn't get mentioned a lot. And the ones rated to tow much over 8000 lbs are unicorns that usually have to be ordered. Most of the Tacoma's will tow 6500 lbs, not really that much less than most 1/2 tons.

I traded a 2002 F-150 for a Tacoma almost 10 years ago. It has been the best truck I've ever owned. I'm approaching 174,000 miles with no problems other than normal stuff like brakes etc.

When I bought the Tacoma I no longer needed a full size truck. But that was 10 years ago and things have changed. Last spring I started looking at F-150's and Tundra's. We don't tow over 4000-5000 lbs, but needed the interior room. But I just couldn't part with the Tacoma. Instead of trading for a new 1/2 ton I decided to buy a used 2014 F-150 and keep the Tacoma.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, you forgot to tell us... Options? Colors?

It's all in the details... ya know ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a tough time finding one I would be happy with. They found me a Magnetic Grey Metallic (charcoal grey). By the time I got home they called to say that someone bought it before they could get it. They called me a couple a more times with two other trucks they found (I want a 6-speed). The trucks they called me about had moonroofs etc. I don't want that crap.

The manager called me back and said he was able to get Toyota to take special order at the production line and get the one I really wanted.

TRD- Off-road, Quicksand and typical options. No freaking moon roof either!

6 week wait though.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What do you have against a moonroof?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Best thing about a Taco - they're like go karts.

Easy to park, drive and you can fit them down some trails that would have a full size looking for a paint job.

When I had mine - I'd run that sucker down ATV and Snowmobile trails on the property to cut wood and deliver feed etc.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K1500

I know on a 2007 Camry the moonroof drain lines will come off of where they hook up to the drain port and have you googling for days to figure out why your carpet is soaking wet and smelling sour.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D

You don't live in Phx do you??

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Care to share roughly what you're paying?

I was half considering a new truck this year, have a 3/4 diesel I'll keep so don't need to worry about hauling/towing.

Really liked the thought of a GMC Canyon, but a person could get into a F-150 XLT for low 30's that's pretty well equipped (quad cab) along with 0%.

Toyota's I looked at were quite a bit more and the GMC/Colorado's were quite a bit more with no incentives and no zero percent.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

You don't live in Phx do you??

No, no I don't. That does explain it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by cal74
Care to share roughly what you're paying?

I was half considering a new truck this year, have a 3/4 diesel I'll keep so don't need to worry about hauling/towing.

Really liked the thought of a GMC Canyon, but a person could get into a F-150 XLT for low 30's that's pretty well equipped (quad cab) along with 0%.

Toyota's I looked at were quite a bit more and the GMC/Colorado's were quite a bit more with no incentives and no zero percent.

If you want an XL trim F150, you're right, you can get into it in the 30s. I priced out a Lariat trim with 4x4, super crew, 3.5 ecoboost and a few other things. It was well into the 40's even with a good deal. The Tacoma was $10,000cheaper with similar equipment. I tried building several different trucks. Using the XLT trim ,2.7 ecoboost, very few nice options and couldn't get a real price below about 39K. I think the Tacoma figured out to be $6000-$7000 cheaper than I could get an F150 for.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few months back when I was looking, you could indeed get an XLT in this area for low 30's after all is said and done. That wasn't including taxes, etc. Maybe they were super cabs and not quad?

Have the dealer line you up with a Katzkin re-upholstery under 1500.00 and a guy would be good to go (in my opinion)

Haven't looked in a while as I figured I was/am going to wait another year or two.

I'm intrigued by the new Ranger coming back, rumor of a 5 cyl diesel option.

Today I'm picking up a '00 Ranger to replace the '87 I just finally had to part ways with. It'll be my run around/hunting truck. Daily driver is a Grand Cherokee and I have a 3/4 Cummins in the garage for when I need to haul/tow anything. One of these days I plan to be down to two vehicles.

In regards to the other topic (moon-roofs). Used to love them as a kid, but on two of the four vehicles we have sitting at my place we never use them and might as well not have them.

Regardless, enjoy the Taco. Think they're nice little trucks, just wish they had the diesel option over here.

Life is just one damned thing after another
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Moon roofs are hot here. They break (my wife's car has had her's replaced and it is acting up again and she only opens it when she wants to ahh the grandkids.

I find out Wednesday if they were able to pull one off the assembly line for me, if not, I am in for a 6 week wait.

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Moon roofs are hot here. They break (my wife's car has had her's replaced and it is acting up again and she only opens it when she wants to ahh the grandkids.

I find out Wednesday if they were able to pull one off the assembly line for me, if not, I am in for a 6 week wait.

NRA Benefactor Member

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish I fit in Tacomas. My dad bought a '13 2wd XraCab, and it's tight for me to drive... driving while wearing work boots is essentially out of the question.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by cal74

In regards to the other topic (moon-roofs). Used to love them as a kid, but on two of the four vehicles we have sitting at my place we never use them and might as well not have them.

I liked mine in my F150, coyotes are used to windows rolling down, but when you pop out of the moon roof with an AR, they usually end up proper [bleep].

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
OP. Be sure to post up some pics and a quick review when you get her. Been contemplating the same thing. TRD,off road,Quicksand. Double cab. I love the power of my 2012 5.7 Hemi RAM crew,but its more of a sport truck. Chaining the front wheels is problematic.I guess wheel spacers will help. Not crazy about the idea. Should be lifted,or at least leveled. Lots of rake. Got a good deal on it new,and have had zero problems. Cant justify the cost of what I really really want. A 2500 Cummins RAM. My first house cost considerably less! Anywho,be sure to give us a quick run down on the new purchase!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,144
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.