-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lastround, the short actions are pretty sweet!

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sooo I HAD a 6.5 Hunter on hold at one LGS and handled a 6.5 Montana at another.... I ditched the K-Hunter! Should be shooting it by the week's end. Yippee! A bit much for halibut but sure glad I have been influenced in this direction.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
LRG Offline
L
Originally Posted by claybreaker
Originally Posted by LRG
Semi-newbie here. Been around since 2014, but as a lurker. This post inspired me to pull the trigger on a gun that I've been watching for a couple months. They sound incredible, and I can't wait to get it!

Pretty good first post... Congrats on the new tube.

Thanks!

Picked up the gun on Thursday. It is shockingly lightweight. 5#1oz on my scale.
[Linked Image]

I've only owned a few hunting rifles, but this one has a significantly higher quality feel to it than any others. The only thing that matters to me is how it shoots, though.

Tomorrow should be the day for the break in shots. Waiting on the scope. VX3i 3.5-10x40. Hoping to be at or under 6# hiking up a mountain.

Forgot to throw a bone to Whittakers. The gun (and bonus brass) showed up in two days. Almost unheard of!

Last edited by LRG; 11/20/16.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Picked mine up. Very nice.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm trying to decide if I need one myself.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
For my application, hunting windy mountaintops with 2-600yd shots, it's kinda a no brainer. I like the threaded barrel too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I musta got a heavy one 5lb 2oz! Might ditch the thread protector to lighten it up. LOL I feel like an elitist. Got bases coming tomorrow, nothing local for it but Leupold STD and that's a not good enough for me. laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Any whispers of left handed Kimber rifles in the pipe line?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Might ditch the thread protector

How much needs to be cut off to lose it?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dear New Kimber,

Please consider un-goatphucqking your sporting rifle final assembly department.

Today, while attempting to start from the start with my spanking new Montana, I hit a deadend. The rear takedown screw was so phucqk'd that it would not unscrew, lefty-loosy. Pretty certain there's an engineering term for this - it was technically no longer a screw in function, pinned?, more of a screwing that totally ate the chit out of two Allen bits before stripping to circular worthlessnessisss without the least, nada, no movement whatsoever.

Please consider shipping your 2016 uber-threaded-muzzle 84M Montana 6.5 Creedmoors as a kit. Please include the 1/4", 9/32" and 5/16" (M or 19/64" may be better) drill bits (cobalt with Montanas, HSS with Hunters), a cordless drill and a big, I mean the largest full-size pair of Vise Grips (or, using your oft-mentioned marketing terminology, an "American Made" (though this does not specifically infer USA, cute) equivalent if available). These are needed for disassembly.

Also, it would be uber to include a 1/4"-22 tap and replacement rear takedown screw as they're needed for subsequent reassembly. Otherwise guys will have to scavenge parts from their Remington 700s to make their new Kimber riffles usable. That additionally necessitates grinding the Remington screw's head diameter and the additional tooling to accomplish such. I believe this 84M Synthetic Rifle Kit can still come in under the fantastical MSRP of $1427. BTW: your Hunter magazine assembly looks much like a Mossberg rifle I saw at a LGS yesterday prior to selecting the Montana.

Thank you,

Guy with a new New Kimber rifle

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ahh, it'll be ok. Receiver threads are AOK, the screw was buggered. The red loctite stuff was irrelevant. Musta been a cross-eyed Yonkeranian. Fit is very good, si Miguel, el stocko brueno, Si porque $400 mas de la Hunter. I doubt it'd benefit from bedding compound. The pillars are visible on the underside, covered by paint above. The pillars are not loose. Not 100% certain but I think the mag box is bound. Will look at it later when I don't have to beat the phucqk out of it to get it apart. Maybe chill a bit. Plastic follower? Did not anticipate that. Happy still? Yah, I dig this little rifle! But I'm fairly jazzed up on a caffeine shot... Gawd I hope this thing will shoot. LOL

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Might ditch the thread protector

How much needs to be cut off to lose it?

1/2" strong. Would be about 21 3/8"+ chopped and cleaned up.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, Lil'GoatPhucqker is coming together. Pushing 7 1/4lbs fully loaded with leather sling and SWFA 6x! Liking it plenty. Caveats: mag box was bound up tighter than heck. I've not followed if that is common to the model? Once unbound, I scuffed out some of the textured paint and can see the top of the pillars. Probably will skim bed. Plastic follower is so cheapass'd.

[Linked Image]

Not too many 7/16"-28 brakes available on the cheap. Here's a SS one for $40. Note, it's .220" nominal, needs the end drilled out to at least .020" over bullet dia... Ordering it.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-ss-silver-sku860101028-13070-31419.aspx

--- Kid Rock 2022

L
LRG Offline
L
Ended up at 6# on the nuts with the Leupold VX3i and Talley lightweight mounts.
[Linked Image]

I broke it in and got the scope somewhat dialed yesterday with some factory 129gr Hornady SSTs. It was raining and snowing like crazy, so I just wanted to get it close in order to test out some reloads. Called this close enough.
[Linked Image]

Then last night I built my first hand loads with the Barnes TTSX 120gr, COAL of 2.720". and 39-43gr of IMR4350 with WLMR primers.
[Linked Image]

Obviously the gun likes 41gr and hates 39!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well, Lil'GoatPhucqker is coming together. Pushing 7 1/4lbs fully loaded with leather sling and SWFA 6x! Liking it plenty. Caveats: mag box was bound up tighter than heck. I've not followed if that is common to the model? Once unbound, I scuffed out some of the textured paint and can see the top of the pillars. Probably will skim bed. Plastic follower is so cheapass'd.

[Linked Image]

Not too many 7/16"-28 brakes available on the cheap. Here's a SS one for $40. Note, it's .220" nominal, needs the end drilled out to at least .020" over bullet dia... Ordering it.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-ss-silver-sku860101028-13070-31419.aspx

What did you do to unbind the magbox?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higbean

I told him last week to make sure I approved of the paint job so when I bought it from him I didn't have to pay him to paint it again.

His reply?

"Rainbow it is!"

Ouch. Just might of had it coming.

Hey! This is a 6.5CM thread. Take the 270 talk somewhere else.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Calvin

Mine was bound up too. I simply filed the bottom tabs of the box where contact was being made with the stock.

I bedded my action over the weekend, and opened up the barrel channel slightly, as the barrel was making contact right at the transition of the shoulder.

Can't wait to get it back on paper post bedding to see how it shoots.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Keep us updated!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by darrenk75b

Mine was bound up too. I simply filed the bottom tabs of the box where contact was being made with the stock.

That's exactly what I do too, except I use a dremel tool. Pretty simple process. I take about an 1/8" (maybe less) off the two in the front and one in the back.

Getting another from Kimber won't solve the problem. It will be the exact same size they ship with the rifle.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You would think Kimber would see these threads and make corrections so guys don't have to go through this process to get these rifles to fit the stocks correctly.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by darrenk75b

That's exactly what I do too, except I use a dremel tool. Pretty simple process. I take about an 1/8" (maybe less) off the two in the front and one in the back.

Getting another from Kimber won't solve the problem. It will be the exact same size they ship with the rifle.

Well, says embarrassed Boomber, I ground a little off the tabs mentioned, sanded/scuffed out a bit of excess paint texture in the action and barrel channel then re-assembled. There's contact out to the chamber's end but floated beyond. Mag box was just a hair loose and figured I was golden... The stock is only about 1/8" thick down there so I didn't hog on it... Smiling and happy despite the rear takedown screwing I moved on to find the lands and max magazine COL and noticed the rear-end of the plastic follower was hanging up? WTF? It would not handle one, let alone four rounds... So I started dic'ing with the box. Just a little - then a little more and then more and more! Hence the need for a new magazine well/box! grin It took two calls and special managerial approval to get them to sell me one but luckily it's on the way along with a new screw... So - I now wonder what was the matter with the follower after the tab trim? Maybe I gorilla handed it and tweaked it during the grinding or somehow had it cocked upon assembly? Slacked off today and did other things but hope to shoot it soon, and in about a week, make a repeater out of it.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

102 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 20 invisible), 1,160 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,476
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.