-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
darrenk75b turned me onto the Bat action screws when I halfway hogged out my Kimber screws and they are the best thing going for a heavy handed guy such as myself/yourself. Give them a look.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good to know about the Bat screws... I chit you not, the rear screw would not budge, fresh out of the box. Rounded off two hex bits, then the screw head. It took drilling the head off to get the stock off and out of the way and 10" Vice grips clamped on uber-tight to turn the SOB. The threads on the screw were buggered looking... Action threads looked good, thankfully. Mighta been a good one to send to NY, and some guys roll that way... I can accept my mag box tweaking went to heck, but that rear screw - that was all Yonkers. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Good to know about the Bat screws... I chit you not, the rear screw would not budge, fresh out of the box.

Should have talked nicer to it.

The Bat screws have a DEEP hex and it is WAY tight compared to the Rem/Kimber crap. Got em on a few and will have em on more.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was! All the way home I was calling it Sweet Stuff... Now - LilGF....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Quality Control must be so lax to allow these rifles to head out the door. A supervisor in QC should be kicking azz in order to shape them up. I still think it is the best buy for my purposes but this is just plain carelessness in the final assembly and inspection departments.
I asked a question recently on the Handgun section about QC with their autos and a few piped with problems too. It should be embarrassing to them when you seldom read about a problem with Sako/Tikka and even BACO Winchesters.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about the 6.5 Creedmoor Hunters? Any problems with them?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Quality Control must be so lax to allow these rifles to head out the door.

This is normal for Kimber.

They either hire bad people or employees get disgruntled with management and will sabotage a line.

Last edited by SU35; 11/24/16.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by LRG
Ended up at 6# on the nuts with the Leupold VX3i and Talley lightweight mounts.
[Linked Image]

I broke it in and got the scope somewhat dialed yesterday with some factory 129gr Hornady SSTs. It was raining and snowing like crazy, so I just wanted to get it close in order to test out some reloads. Called this close enough.
[Linked Image]

Then last night I built my first hand loads with the Barnes TTSX 120gr, COAL of 2.720". and 39-43gr of IMR4350 with WLMR primers.
[Linked Image]

Obviously the gun likes 41gr and hates 39!

I wouldn't draw a single conclusion with that one good group -

Your others are all really bad. If there is a node, it's not much of one at the good group and is too narrow. I'd be a bit leery. YMMV....

I'd shoot again multiple times at distance too -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Saw some new Kimber Montana's in the LGS recently with a big tag on the trigger saying "MOA Guarantee"..
Guess they were just kidding?

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Upon closer look, mine had a lot of pressure right at the shank. I had to sand down through a layer of cloth to get full float. Did a full bedding, tang to lug with JB Quick. Did some shooting to sight in over the hood of the rig with a box of Hornady American Whitetail 129 IL. Not uber, 3-shot 1.25, 4-shot cool 1.5", 4-shot hot 1.75". Wasn't calm but fairly steady wind.

Are my comments meant to degrade? NO, absolutely not. It's a production rifle, I happened to get one with a couple things to overcome. I very much like this rifle. Other than the material chosen for the follower, I think it's excellent engineering. It's not the first mag well I have bent to hell, LOL. The trigger is very good.

I really dig the stock! It's light, slim, straight yet rounded, smooth uniform texture, without checkering or ridges and incredibly firm. To me, it is the final evolution of classic Kimber hunting stock lines and I would not change it in any way whatsoever...

I just don't get the "light rifle needs a light scope". To me, this light of a rifle allows one to use a burly scope and still have a light rifle package. Balance is great with the SWFA 6x. Can you believe people are bitching Lapua is going small primer? As if Lapua doesn't know WTF?

On to handloads and hoping for consistent, three-shot MOA groups fired in succession (without a bunch of cooling time.) Absolutely love the cartridge and very glad I upgraded from the Hunter I was looking at. This is a featherweight, I expect some work to get accuracy and sure as hell didn't buy it based upon a hangtag.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I just don't get the "light rifle needs a light scope". To me, this light of a rifle allows one to use a burly scope and still have a light rifle package. Balance is great with the SWFA 6x. On to handloads and hoping for consistent, three-shot MOA groups fired in succession (without a bunch of cooling time.) Absolutely love the cartridge and very glad I upgraded from the Hunter I was looking at. Can you believe people are bitching Lapua is going small primer? As if Lapua doesn't know WTF?

agreed

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I mean I like it so much I took it to bed with me last night....

--- Kid Rock 2022

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Nrut
Saw some new Kimber Montana's in the LGS recently with a big tag on the trigger saying "MOA Guarantee"..
Guess they were just kidding?

Not really. You can't fault a manufacture due to someone's shooting ability (or lack thereof with a light rifle).

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The moa guarantee is with premium factory ammo and a very skilled shooter.

The more I think about it the more the 6.5 Creed makes sense. Having brass options now really sweetens the deal. Might go 100gr TTSX at 3200 for the wife during the rut, and 143s during alpine season.

Decided to go with the Leupold 6x42, as I've got a pile of them with M1 turrets. Have one with a CDS and dots, might use that one too, or put that one on my Montana 300wsm.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want one of these for my daughter in the 6.5 creed but I think I will go the kimber hunter route..

Last edited by 79S; 11/26/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
You would think Kimber would see these threads and make corrections so guys don't have to go through this process to get these rifles to fit the stocks correctly.

They know about the issues, they're just in denial. It does appear that the number of bad guns has diminished quite a bit from the good old days, but still... you'd think they'd do a better job of checking their guns before they left the factory.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Show's potential.... I cleaned up my bedding job and verified free-float. Fits great! It's a joy having a quality stock this stiff. I know they've been out for years but this is my first...

Short version:
I did some pretty random testing today using Nosler 140 CCs. Nothing shot bad IMO for how windy it was. The star of the day was IMR4451 producing 3-shot trifectas at 0.36" and 0.63" after it calmed down. Will continue working with this combo.

I'm pleased.

--- Kid Rock 2022

L
LRG Offline
L
Originally Posted by GregW

I wouldn't draw a single conclusion with that one good group -

Your others are all really bad. If there is a node, it's not much of one at the good group and is too narrow. I'd be a bit leery. YMMV....

I'd shoot again multiple times at distance too -

Oh I definitely wouldn't consider this the holy grail of loads. I should have specified that this was shooting under the tonneau cover of my truck with some rolled up towels as a rest. From getting the gun to needing copper loads ready to hunt was 3 days, so I was a bit pressed for time. I'll get on a proper shooting bench this week. That said, I'll take .4xx" at 100 yards any day from a very lightweight hunting rifle.
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Additional sub-3/4MOA 3- and 4-shot groups outa mine today. Not all of them, but enough to keep it interesting.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Followup on the $40 7/16-28 brake. It arrived. I drilled it out, just the absolute far end needs it. Used a 9/32" drill for .017" overbore and reamed a bit too for good measure. Seems to clear just right. Fit is not absolutely flush but within a hair oversize. Perfectenough. Have not used a brake before. Hoping for a bit less muzzle jump. New 12x going on for load testing. Stock in the paintshop. Awaiting bullets and mag box. Trigger adjusted down to very light. 100% glad I went with the upgrade from the plastic stock. Will try for a better pic later.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-ss-silver-sku860101028-13070-31419.aspx
[Linked Image]

Blasted it and the TG, will coat eventually. The brake is flush to the touch now.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 11/30/16. Reason: plus pic

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.