Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm scratching my head right now looking at a broken Talley Steel Fixed Ring. I have a custom 300 Wby built on a Montana Rifle action with a Leupold VX6 3-18 scope. Replaced the Leupold rings and bases last year in favor of a more reliable and stronger set. Purchased the Talley set up after much research. Set up has performed great for the past year and around 100 rounds fired. Quick check at the range today before going out and I couldn't touch paper. Noticed the front ring was loose and found the lower screw sheared off. Rings were lapped, installed per Talley torque specs (30 in-lbs lower, 20 in-lbs upper) with locktite, and torqued with a Seekonk torque wrench. Do I throw the entire set up out and find a more reliable set up or is this a freak occurrence? Carried in the mountains but no drops or falls, mostly sat in the safe or shot at the range.

Brad Watkins Custom Knives
www.facebook.com/watkinsknives/
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bullwhacker
I'm scratching my head right now looking at a broken Talley Steel Fixed Ring. I have a custom 300 Wby built on a Montana Rifle action with a Leupold VX6 3-18 scope. Replaced the Leupold rings and bases last year in favor of a more reliable and stronger set. Purchased the Talley set up after much research. Set up has performed great for the past year and around 100 rounds fired. Quick check at the range today before going out and I couldn't touch paper. Noticed the front ring was loose and found the lower screw sheared off. Rings were lapped, installed per Talley torque specs (30 in-lbs lower, 20 in-lbs upper) with locktite, and torqued with a Seekonk torque wrench. Do I throw the entire set up out and find a more reliable set up or is this a freak occurrence? Carried in the mountains but no drops or falls, mostly sat in the safe or shot at the range.

They are buying screws in bulk and the quality is just not there. I have had numerous issues with their screws, I have had one issue with screw locks not being machined correctly which scratched the crap out of a Swaro AV scope at the time.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Replace the screws and carry on. Search for American made screws online. Had a similar problem with Leupold screws a couple years ago

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
They are buying screws in bulk and the quality is just not there.
Is there any other way a manufacturer buys screws ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Call and speak to Chris @ Talleys on Monday and explain the situation. He will take care of you in very short order. 803-854 5700
Ask if those are Chinese screws and let us know how it goes.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
They will send you a bag of the entire set of screws. They have done so more than once for me. Never broke one, but stripped several heads (both allen and torx). One I buggered up so bad, I had to drill the head off, and then just take the ring the rest of the way apart and the rest of the screw comes right out.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Blackheart

There is this small matter of quality , maybe they can call the folks at DNZ and ask them where they get their screws.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the comments. I do know there is a huge variation in screw or bolt quality between foreign and domestic. I just hope this wasn't a calculated cost saving decision for Talley. I also understand that even the best screws will have a minimal failure rate. This is what I was trying to determine. Is this a one off failure or s systemic problem with this manufacture. I will call Talley tomorrow and see how they will make it right. I can't replace the broken screw because the screw failed at the point flush with the threaded base. I can't get anything on it to remove it and it does have locktite on it.
Ultimately I would probably replace this screw and continue to use if this rifle if it wasn't going on any big trips, but this is one of my "big trip" rifles. There is no warranty available that would make you feel alright with a failure midway into a multi thousand dollar hunt with no access to repair or replace. Failure like this isn't acceptable.

Brad Watkins Custom Knives
www.facebook.com/watkinsknives/
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

There is this small matter of quality , maybe they can call the folks at DNZ and ask them where they get their screws.
Unfortunately you can't guarantee quality parts no matter who or where you order them from today. I know. I build guns for a living. I get parts from some of the top names in the business and I still get junk sometimes.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Replace the screw.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I build guns for a living.

LMAO.

Do they come with a free kghunt?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I had 2 sets (screws) go tits up and saw 2 more fail on others rifles. So I quit using them.

If you said anything negative about Talley, especially the LW's on here several years ago, you would be considered a heretic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get parts from some of the top names in the business and I still get junk sometimes.

Most likely they were all the common cold-rolled and punched type. The very best quality fasteners are the ones where every
process involves machining , including precision milling of the Torx drive facets in the head.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

I had 2 sets (screws) go tits up and saw 2 more fail on others rifles. So I quit using them.

If you said anything negative about Talley, especially the LW's on here several years ago, you would be considered a heretic.

I will not touch them ever again

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Starman
I get parts from some of the top names in the business and I still get junk sometimes.

Most likely they were all the common cold-rolled and punched type. The very best quality fasteners are the ones where every
process involves machining , including precision milling of the Torx drive facets in the head.
I wasn't talking about screws so much as sights, extractors, stop plates, barrel bushings etc...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

618 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,308
Posts18,449,130
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.