Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So after a fun 2 day antelope hunt last year, my buddy Rick and I booked a combo mule deer/antelope hunt with Bear Track Outfitters in Buffalo, WY. The owner, Pete Dube, has run the lodge for about 30 years, and is now in the process of selling to TJ Tavegie (who never stops smiling). Our "guide" for this trip was Mark Wilson, whom most of you in the 307 know of....

Friday September 30 we flew into Buffalo and saw some antelope right on the short drive to the lodge:

[Linked Image]

After checking in with Pete and TJ, making sure our rifles were still dead nuts on, we decided to check out the local microbrewery, Clear Creek Brewing. It didn't suck that they brew a nice IPA and the Ryder Cup was on....

[Linked Image]

Typical funny story when we're hunting with Bear Track: Opening morning we scouted a bit, and were in the truck glassing. Mark's looking to the left up in the hills with the spotting scope on a decent 4x4. I'm fence bitch, and Rick is in the back. Ryder Cup is on XM radio. All of a sudden, a buck pops up over a little draw about 80 yards in front of us. Now, this is soon after we didn't bail out fast enough after a real stomper and he didn't stop until he was over in the next county. So I'm yelling "buck, buck", Mark is yelling "where", and Rick is thinking I said "f@#k, f@#k" because the Americans missed a putt...

Realizing that Rick gave up his right for first shot because of his attention deficit, I bail and proceed to shoot offhand, right over the buck. My eardrums are now ringing due to my failure to throw in the ear plugs... I drop to a sitting position and as the buck is trotting over a rise, nail him as he's quartering away. The 130 grain VLD drops him and paralyzes his back end. Have to put in a finishing shot and even though I can't hear a single frickin thing because damn, those Vias brakes are LOUD, I'm like, "what the H E double hockey sticks did I just do?"

[Linked Image]

Turns out my eyes didn't deceive, and I had a dandy 6x5 with nice brow tines!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The "loudenboomer"...

[Linked Image]

End of Day 1, a few local Black Tooth Brewery beers were enjoyed...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Day 2 started off nice with a beautiful sunrise splashing across the Bighorn Mountains. We were fortunate to catch a rainbow, which seemed to be good luck:

[Linked Image]

So, knowing that Rick is shooting a .270, which goes with a rainbow like peas and carrots, I tell Mark we gotta find out what's at the end of that damn thing...

[Linked Image]

Sure enough, there's a nice 4x4 up the draw about 330 yards distant. In typical Hoosier fashion, I'm running the rangefinder because Mr. Wyoming Hunting Guide left his rangefinder in his frickin golf bag... By the time Mark gets on the deer, Rick pulls the trigger and down goes buck #2. Rick and I pose for the "rainbow shot", as I'm explaining to him that shooting a rainbow mule deer with a .270 will make him most certainly famous on the Campfire...

[Linked Image]

Now, I'm not much of a cameraman, but as we got up to the top of the ridge, I snapped a pick and think this shot was money...

[Linked Image]

Rick and Mark go to look over the ridge for the end of the rainbow so he could stick the muzzle of the .270 into it. They didn't find it...

[Linked Image]

Rick ended up with a nice buck with a really cool tine, real nice for his first mule deer:

[Linked Image]

Lunch time was up soon

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So now we're on to antelope hunting, which being northeast of Buffalo, we had a little work to do as the resident herds had moved south about two weeks prior.

And here comes the "if you hunt long enough, you see some things that make you go "huh""...

We were on and off goats for a few hours, then as it gets to be late afternoon, out of nowhere we find a single buck only 160 yards away. Rick gets set up on him and takes a quartering away shot at 200 yards. Now, he's shooting that 270 with a Nosler Trophy Grade factory 130 grain Accubond. Hits the buck, it goes right down and doesn't move. We get up to it and find this:

[Linked Image]

Bear in mind, this is the entry wound. No exit wound was found... We didn't mind, we had speed goat number 1 down!

[Linked Image]

So as the day draws to a close, we are treated to a very cool sunset shining on a darkened sky:

[Linked Image]

Panorama style:

[Linked Image]

End of day 2:

[Linked Image]

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Day 3 starts off with a forecast for rain setting in that morning. I am without a speed goat and am now back in the fence bitch seat. Being that pickings are pretty slim, and I want some antelope summer sausage, we search for quite a while and finally around mid morning find a couple does and a small buck. They went over the rise, but as we were backing out, we found another average sized buck laying on the hillside XXX yards away. I say XXX because I now can't range anything over 300 yards away because my POS Sig Kilo 2000 all of a sudden stopped ranging at distances over 300 yards. It took me several attempts, but I finally got the range. In case you're wondering, Big Game Guide Wilson's rangefinder was still in his frickin golf bag....

I can say this, when you get a G.A. Precision Extreme Hunter 6.5 SAUM all set up and dialed in, shooting a bedded animal at 300 yards is fun! He never moved:

[Linked Image]

And then we were done. Had to celebrate a successful hunt with a Black Tooth Brew and a selfie:

[Linked Image]

ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sounds like a blast,
and that's one helluva entry,,,ouch

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That evening we got some nice weather from Mother Nature:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As luck would have it, Oregonmuley had already tagged out and hauled ass back home, so we enjoyed a nice steak dinner with Sendero Man. This place cooked up just about the best steak I've ever eaten:

[Linked Image]

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Day 4 found us shooting a few whitetail does to thin the population out, and allowed me to break in the new lightweight 6.5 SAUM. Those 130 JLK's get to 500 yards pretty fast! No pics as I'm not much for taking pictures of head shots...

The new stick, sans scope:

[Linked Image]

Day 5 found us on our way home from a fun trip, and thought I'd leave you all with a nice shot of my home race track...

[Linked Image]

ALDO LEOPOLD
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats looks like you guys had the time of your lives...

Public landowner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work. GREAT mulies.

My Sig Kilo 2000 took a dump on me too in the fog this year. really disappointed in it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Looks like you had a great time! Love the Buffalo/Sheridan area was just out there last weekend and weather was great! I'll be back in the spring!

Been having a little trouble with my Sig Kilo also. Love it when it works though

Last edited by JerradPelzer; 11/11/16.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great stuff Marty, really some nice pictures!!! Congrats to you both, really like the muley bucks you guys got. I will hopefully get one of those next year when I'm in the 307. I'll be burning up 7 preference points on a unit just south of where you hunted.

Sure wish timing had been better, sorry I missed you and Sendero Man at the Winchester!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice hunt guys. Also, nice work supporting the local brewery.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry I did not meet up with you while you were here, Mark is an even better friend then he is a guide. Glad y'all had a Good trip

P.S. Clear Creek Brewery got into a legal matter over names. Clear Creek Distilleries brought suit to them if they did not change their name. So Clear Creek Brewery is now Mishap? Brewing co.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great post Marty and NICE mule deer, love the character points!

Fun reading along with uber pics!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good story and great pictures! Glad that you had a good time here in Wy. Kinda wanted to cross the hill, and say hello to some of you fellers. But, it wasn't in the cards this year. Maybe next.
Congrats on a safe,successful hunt. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a great time - and nice critters!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great stuff!

Aside, I've never seen a LRF that didn't have issues in fog including my Leica.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Great stuff!

Aside, I've never seen a LRF that didn't have issues in fog including my Leica.

Thanks Brad,
As an aside, I took it out several times after in bright sun, partial clouds, and full cloud conditions and it did the same thing. Just must have gotten a bad one...

ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great story and pics. It looks like you guys had a blast.

Details on the light weight 6.5 SAUM please, It looks dandy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Great post Marty and NICE mule deer, love the character points!

Fun reading along with uber pics!

A BIG +1 laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
looks like a great time, Marty! Congrats! Dang, after shooting my pards GAP Extreme hunter, I can't imagine how loud that thing must be without ear pro!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That's what it's all about. Your hunt was the kind that we all dream about and only occasionally get. Thanks for sharing.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Awesome pics, story, and critters. Sounds like an awesome time!

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great write up and pics! Congrats on some fine animals and great choice of beer!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just saw this thread Marty. Good stuff all the way around!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nicely done. Congrats! You're accomodations in WY far outpace mine... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like you all had a blast.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice wright up Marty. It was good to meet you, again.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Nice wright up Marty. It was good to meet you, again.

And by the way, this guy here guided two Florida guys to a couple of monster muleys!! Pics of those would be awesome!

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntr
looks like a great time, Marty! Congrats! Dang, after shooting my pards GAP Extreme hunter, I can't imagine how loud that thing must be without ear pro!

Chip, I can recommend NEVER doing that! 😉

ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Marty,

Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for the write-up, something I'm terrible at (which makes me appreciate others that much more).

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am out of country right now. See about it in a week.. Got two pot winner so he next week also. I might have to get some ok from the men in the pics first...

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So here are some of the bucks that wyowinchester guided his hunters to:

First set is father and son who I've seen every time I've been out at Bear Track. They shot these right at last light in the rain on day 3:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Week 2 saw him guide another father/son combo to some more excellent bucks:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And just for reference, he was my guide 3 years ago when I got my first mule deer:

[Linked Image]

ALDO LEOPOLD
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Those are some great mule deer!

Public landowner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
As luck would have it, Oregonmuley had already tagged out and hauled ass back home, so we enjoyed a nice steak dinner with Sendero Man. This place cooked up just about the best steak I've ever eaten:

[Linked Image]

That's my wife and my favorite restaurant in Buffalo.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell of a hunt! Congrats!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nicely told and photographed. Sounds like you really enjoyed the time out there. Cool looking mule deer buck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (338Rules, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 2UP, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,474
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.