R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've been chasing lightweight rifles for 40 years. Finally ended up with a Kimber. If you really want a rifle that CAN be scoped and still keep the weight under 6 lbs they are a bargain. And I have no complaints with the potential accuracy of mine.

But I've also came to the conclusion that it is about 1 lb too light. Something right around 7 lbs scoped seems to be the perfect balance of carryability and shootability, at least for me.

Out of the box a Tikka T-3 will do that. So will a Rem 700 or Savage in an Edge stock. My current go-to rifle is a Winchester 70 EW in an Edge. At 7 1/4 lbs is right on the edge of being heavier than I want. But close enough.

For the money Tikka wins though.

I was wondering if you were going to say that. I'm pretty intrigued by the Tikka, as of late, myself... I shoot left hand, so that's even 1 more reason to try one out... However, I'd probably just end up buying another righty....

I don't think I would put the Tikka in the same class as truly light weights like the Kimber, NULA, or Barrett. It would still be a fine light weight rifle but I think I would choose a long action caliber since the action is going to be long anyway.

What about the Tikka superlite? The specs on them say 6 pounds..

Yes,but the Montana,NULA,and Barrett are 5 lbs. You can be at 6 lbs with scope and mounts.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by ChipM
Weatherby Ultra lightweight. 5-3/4 lbs bare. A little higher on the price range but no worse than a Kimber MT Ascent

Absolutely second this one.

I purchased a Savage 16 Light Weight Hunter the other day. They come in .308 at 5 lb 10 0z. They are stainless.

Have you shot it yet? I would like to hear your evaluation when you get a chance.

I had my 7-08 model 16 LWH re-stocked by Todd Bettin with one of his carbon stocks. With a 3-9 Accupoint, it weights 6.4#. I finally got it out last week. Once it was sighted in, it put 2 shots into same hole that I thought I pulled it off the paper. Unfortunately after those 2, I set the zero on the turrets and replaced the caps. In the process I spun them inadvertently, so I didn't get any "real" groups. I'm pretty sure from what I've seen, I won't be messing with handloading any 162 ELD-M. I'll stick with the 120 Ballistic Tip factory loading.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out of the Kimbers, Mountain Guides and Ti short actions I like my Forbes best. It just fits me. Great trigger,stock and shoots awesome out of the box w/no messing around. 6lb 3oz scoped with a 13oz scope. I should have bought more! Fingers crossed Barrett does it right.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The majority of the lightweight rifles are to pricey for me. What works for me is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact in 308......weighs in about 6 3/4 lb. scoped. Can't argue with the accuracy using factory Hornady Whitetail ammo.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
NO question for my use....
Model 70 Featherweight, Short Action...
2 x 7 Leupold scope on top...

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Weatherby Ultra lightweight. 5-3/4 lbs bare. A little higher on the price range but no worse than a Kimber MT Ascent

Okay, ya got me.. definitely choice number two...

have handled a few, and admit I really really liked them..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cv540
Remington model 7 is a sleeper.

Pretty much need to drop it into a lightweight stock, but if you do it sure does make a nice handy rifle.

I received a Model 7 SS 7mm-08 as a College grad present. Used it plenty, but as I obtained other rifles it sat more and more. Dropped it into a Brown FS stock a few years back and it's quickly become one of my favorites. Completely changed the handling characteristics and dropped nearly a pound.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'll take a M70 Featherweight. May not be "lightweight" by today's standards, but they are the "rightweight" for me. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
NO question for my use....
Model 70 Featherweight, Short Action...
2 x 7 Leupold scope on top...

I have this exact setup (SS 308) in a McMillan Edge stock with PT&G Al bottom metal, but I consider it a midweight, not a lightweight.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

With its thin barrel configuration (as originally offered), it should continue to stay asleep IMO!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Winchester featherweight in 7-08 or 308

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by southtexas
I'll take a M70 Featherweight. May not be "lightweight" by today's standards, but they are the "rightweight" for me. smile

Pre-64 M70 Fwt in McM Edge stock and Lyman 48WJS. 6lbs, 13oz as shown. 7lbs 6oz with Montana sling and 5 cartridges. Light enough, and feels good in the hands...

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O

I'm somewhat in this camp. I like a rifle that's about 7# all up. Maybe just a whisker lighter.
The JC Higgins 51L ((Husqvarna/Hi Standard) is pretty sweet in this regard and a very good shooter. If you drop it in a McM it's the berries. I have one in 7x57 and one in '06. The handling is excellent. Almost too light in the McM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have one of these that I bought from Wes 7x57 here in 30-06
will group Fed Blue Box 150 gr. into 1/2 in. if you give the
thin barrel time to cool.
I sent it to Hired Gun here for Cerakote externals
Micro-Slick internals mounted a New Leupold FX-3 6x42
with a GERMAN #4 reticle
I have about $1450 all in for this total set up
AMRA

Molan Labe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cal74

Pretty much need to drop it into a lightweight stock, but if you do it sure does make a nice handy rifle.

I received a Model 7 SS 7mm-08 as a College grad present. Used it plenty, but as I obtained other rifles it sat more and more. Dropped it into a Brown FS stock a few years back and it's quickly become one of my favorites. Completely changed the handling characteristics and dropped nearly a pound.

I have a FS and a KS that I had the dumb luck (or youthful insight) to buy in the 80's. Both are great rifles. Agree with you that the current factory stocks leave a lot to be desired.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
The majority of the lightweight rifles are to pricey for me. What works for me is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact in 308......weighs in about 6 3/4 lb. scoped. Can't argue with the accuracy using factory Hornady Whitetail ammo.

[Linked Image]

I'd hang on to that one!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Pre-64 M70 Fwt in McM Edge stock and Lyman 48WJS. 6lbs, 13oz as shown. 7lbs 6oz with Montana sling and 5 cartridges. Light enough, and feels good in the hands...

[Linked Image]

Very nice rifle. Mine weigs 6.5 pounds.
[Linked Image]

You can take this one, just the way it is, and hunt the hell out of it. If 6.5 pounds is too heavy, it's a damn good thing they make golf carts to carry your bags... laugh . Unlike many here, though, I consider a "lightweight" rifle anything under 8 pounds... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't really need a lightweight but by the time you add up scope and mounts, sling and ammo and maybe a bipod it adds up quick.

Why not start out light and go from there provided it's an all day walk around rifle?

My 243 MT is 6.5lbs scoped and loaded.

The 270 MT is damn near 8.5lbs scoped and loaded along with a Harris and sling.
(I wouldn't want it any heavier...)

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Very nice rifle. Mine weigs 6.5 pounds.
[Linked Image]

You can take this one, just the way it is, and hunt the hell out of it. If 6.5 pounds is too heavy, it's a damn good thing they make golf carts to carry your bags... laugh . Unlike many here, though, I consider a "lightweight" rifle anything under 8 pounds... wink

Yep, that was the impetus for mine. You kept posting multiple pictures, I finally said "OK, I'll try one of those..." Have 4 new-to-me rifles to hunt this year. Kimber Ascent went for a walk yesterday. Hopefully the Pre-64 will get some field time over the next two weeks...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AMRA

I have one of these that I bought from Wes 7x57 here in 30-06
will group Fed Blue Box 150 gr. into 1/2 in. if you give the
thin barrel time to cool.
I sent it to Hired Gun here for Cerakote externals
Micro-Slick internals mounted a New Leupold FX-3 6x42
with a GERMAN #4 reticle
I have about $1450 all in for this total set up
AMRA

I own or have owned a few and been around a few more. 338-06,240 WM, 280's 270's and a 300 win mag, all have shot sub moa but will open as the barrel heats up quick. Really interested in trying a new one with the 22" barrel in standard calibers and slimmed stock. Also have a Mark V 7mm-08 carbine in a B&C Medalist with Talleys and 2x7 leupold goes 6 lb 8 oz and shots sub moa all day.

I want to love the Montana's as my bud shoots one in 7mm-08 and very accurate but like the feel of the Weatherby style stock better.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,271
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.