Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by southtexas
I'll take a M70 Featherweight. May not be "lightweight" by today's standards, but they are the "rightweight" for me. smile

Pre-64 M70 Fwt in McM Edge stock and Lyman 48WJS. 6lbs, 13oz as shown. 7lbs 6oz with Montana sling and 5 cartridges. Light enough, and feels good in the hands...

[Linked Image]

Very nice rifle. Mine weigs 6.5 pounds.
[Linked Image]

You can take this one, just the way it is, and hunt the hell out of it. If 6.5 pounds is too heavy, it's a damn good thing they make golf carts to carry your bags... laugh . Unlike many here, though, I consider a "lightweight" rifle anything under 8 pounds... wink

Very nice,and I wouldn't have any problem hunting with it,but I wouldn't consider an 8 lb rifle lightweight. There is however no shame in saying that most of us are better shots with an 8 lb rifle and would be better served 90% of the time with one than with a 6 lb lightweight.

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
RH,

Agreed. I have a Kimber Ascent @ 5/15. Very pleasant to carry. But, would not want to get much lighter from a shootability stand point.

"At this point in my life" a rifle in the 7.0 to 7.5lb weight range with scope "feels about right" for an all around rifle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rem M7
Rem 700 Mtn Rifle are my 2 favorites.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I don't really need a lightweight but by the time you add up scope and mounts, sling and ammo and maybe a bipod it adds up quick.

Why not start out light and go from there provided it's an all day walk around rifle?

My 243 MT is 6.5lbs scoped and loaded.

The 270 MT is damn near 8.5lbs scoped and loaded along with a Harris and sling.
(I wouldn't want it any heavier...)

Problem with getting a light, handy rifle...is that it spoils you, and the rest of your rifles feel so very UNLIGHT, and UnHandy.

You are warned.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't really need a lightweight but by the time you add up scope and mounts, sling and ammo and maybe a bipod it adds up quick.

Why not start out light and go from there provided it's an all day walk around rifle?

Few understand the logic. But it is sound.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cv540

Problem with getting a light, handy rifle...is that it spoils you, and the rest of your rifles feel so very UNLIGHT, and UnHandy.

You are warned.

+1, I was a levergun guy for a long time. Bought my first lightweight bolt gun and never went back. The lever guns though not "overweight" feel heavy in comparison.

Sam great point.

It takes a little time to get used to "controlling a lightweight rifle" when shooting but once accomplished, they become a pleasure to carry in the field

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

You are warned.

This! My smoke pole is sub 7#s now. I'm putting together a 375HH can't imagine it "lite" but the thought of packing it up the side if the mountain leaves me feeling tired already.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Satterlee Titanium Mauser.

Do you own one and, if so, how long did it take for you to receive it? He is legendary...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just remember....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 16bore
Montana, hands down. Although mine is a 270, I'd be just as happy if it was 243, 6.5 Creed, 308.....

Word.

I have a 243 and 270 but want a Creed or 22-250 next.

The eastern Montana (walk-around)lightweight setup.

[Linked Image]

It is shooting like a fiend lately.

I agree with these guys. I have an 84M with an 8 twist barrel in 243 and it's a fantastic rifle.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet that's a hummer. In all the light weight world, I'm still wanting a 20" mag contour 243 in a McSwirly with a 6x SWFA up top.

Wouldn't kick a bone stock 243 Montana outta the sack though. Hell, maybe even a 300 WSM for that matter.

Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably have a different answer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You are warned.

I can attest that you are SO right. My first light rifle was a 77 UL in 308. It had 20" bll. It was short, light and a dream to hunt woods.

I've hated heavy rifles ever since.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall

You are warned.

I can attest that you are SO right. My first light rifle was a 77 UL in 308. It had 20" bll. It was short, light and a dream to hunt woods.

I've hated heavy rifles ever since.

Jerry

I took a "break" from carrying my Forbes/Kimbers one day this season and packed a p'64 270 Win. I couldn't believe how heavy it felt!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by John_Havard
I'm thinking about purchasing a lightweight bolt rifle, probably in my long-favorite caliber of 308 Win. I'd appreciate any first-hand input on the brand(s) of rifles you'd recommend: Sako 85 Carbonlight? Kimber Mountain Ascent? What others are out there that are in the same weight range that should be considered?

Not too many production choices in a 308win that comes out the box at no more than 5 pounds. This rules out most of the rifles noted as favorites throughout the thread. With that said, if I were seeking such a rifle, likely it would be best suited for extreme backpack sheep and goat hunting in most remote mountains, where I'd be willing to sacrifice some rifle shoot ability, to save that extra pound off the base rifle; 5 pounds vs 6 pounds. If this were the case, it boils down to which rifle fits and works best for YOU, not me.

Personally, my cut off is about 6 pounds base weight. Regardless if going fixed sights only, or going light trim scope keeping package under 7 pounds, I greatly enjoy the handling and shoot ability of the rifle, while it is still easy to pack in most any hunting situation. Going below this cut off, takes more joy from my shoot ability than I gain in pack ability. Also personally, the production rifle that fits me the best, is the least finiky, and gives me the least troubles in shoot ability when on the lighter weight end of the scale, is a Sako Finnlight, 6 pound base weight. The new Carbonlight is the same rifle and dimensions, but adds a custom ground pounder type stock, and options for a threaded muzzle. So likely that would be my first choice if my hunting became so extreme that I needed to cut a pound off my preferred Finnlight, while staying box stock production.

What fits and works better for you, same as boots and backpacks, may very well be different.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will add:

Barrett - no experience; but I would be suspect until they are well proven and well vetted.

Mountain Ascent - no experience; but do have experience w/ Montana. Based on that, the word "finicky" comes to mind.

NULA - yes to experience; though in the end, I've reached the conclusion they are just not my cup of tea, they are good rifles. However, Melven can get rather opinionated, and at times come across like course grit sandpaper. But if a NULA works for you, they are well proven.

Lastly, if willing to go up a bit in weight, this would open the door for more production choices.

Last edited by GaryVA; 11/14/16.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. As usual, "need" in this case is much less important than "want". I'll always be hunting with one of my company's recurve bows, but my hunting partner likes to carry along a rifle strapped to his (and sometimes my) backpack in case he sees something beyond bow range that he can't live without.

We bow hunt for moose every year in Alaska and given where we hunt the possibility for wolves or a huge moose out of bow range definitely exists. Hence his desire for a tag-along rifle. We've been using my 308 Blaser (I own two Blaser 308's and both shoot lights out) but all-in it's a bit heavier than either of us want to carry just because.

Agree with everyone that within reason a bit more weight makes a rifle arguably more accurate or at least easier to hold still. It just makes them harder to carry around as a "might use" backup.

This is more a quest to find the lightest 308 I can. I'd love to keep everything under six pounds all up. That's pretty limiting I know but that's my goal. Mainly just because that's what I want (as opposed to need).

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by John_Havard
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. As usual, "need" in this case is much less important than "want". I'll always be hunting with one of my company's recurve bows, but my hunting partner likes to carry along a rifle strapped to his (and sometimes my) backpack in case he sees something beyond bow range that he can't live without.

We bow hunt for moose every year in Alaska and given where we hunt the possibility for wolves or a huge moose out of bow range definitely exists. Hence his desire for a tag-along rifle. We've been using my 308 Blaser (I own two Blaser 308's and both shoot lights out) but all-in it's a bit heavier than either of us want to carry just because.

Agree with everyone that within reason a bit more weight makes a rifle arguably more accurate or at least easier to hold still. It just makes them harder to carry around as a "might use" backup.

This is more a quest to find the lightest 308 I can. I'd love to keep everything under six pounds all up. That's pretty limiting I know but that's my goal. Mainly just because that's what I want (as opposed to need).

John,I'll help you out and trade you my already bedded Kimber Montana 7-08 for one of those Blazers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In that case, get the sub 5-pound Kimber and put an Aimpoint micro on the front bridge. That would be light and handy.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by GaryVA; 11/14/16.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the military T2 version and Aimpoint makes a micro base plate for it to mount directly to the front bridge of my Sako 85. If you check my old posts, been working on getting one made available in the US for some time.

- Clint Eastwood
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,743
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.