Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking about purchasing a lightweight bolt rifle, probably in my long-favorite caliber of 308 Win. I'd appreciate any first-hand input on the brand(s) of rifles you'd recommend: Sako 85 Carbonlight? Kimber Mountain Ascent? What others are out there that are in the same weight range that should be considered?

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Montana, hands down. Although mine is a 270, I'd be just as happy if it was 243, 6.5 Creed, 308.....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
John,I would rule out the Sako on a light weight rifle simply because of the scope mounting issues. There are no light weight scope mounts for Sako except the Leupold Ringmounts and they have to be in the last 1/3 of the dovetail before they will tighten on the dovetail. This leaves you trying to pick a scope with a tube long enough or with eye relief long enough to have a good sight picture when mounting without having to adjust your head.

After that the top picks for me would be
1. NULA
2.Barrett Fieldcraft
3.Cooper Excalibur
4 Kimber Mountain Ascent or Montana

The NULA is $3500 and I have no idea how long on delivery. The action won't be stainless if that matters to you. The stock is thicker in the wrist than on a Kimber and I prefer the Kimber 3 position safety.

The Barrett Fieldcraft looks promising but it's basically an unknown right now. If anyone can do one right however Barrett should be able to.

The Cooper is a bit heavier than the rest but it does come with a 1/2 MOA guarantee. The non bolt locking safety turns me off and is the reason I haven't bought one. They do have an all stainless version.

The Kimber may require a bit of work to get it perfect. You may have to bed it,and worse case replace the barrel. It has the best stock of any I listed and the ergo's are the best IMHO.The good news is that even if you replace the barrel and have it bedded by a competent smith,you are still at the price of the next lowest priced in the list,(unless you go Ascent). Kimber has been producing good rifles as of late so it's also a good chance it will be perfect as received.

I own a Kimber Montana and I will be buying the Barrett next year.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 11/12/16.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Love the Montana but can't like the Ascent. The stock feels like a Hoque overmold with that camo on there.

The Barrett could very well be killer but a Montana with a PacNor is gonna run close in price. I could see the 7-08 and .308 taking advantage of the 3" mag box as would a .260 but the .243 and 22-250 don't really need it.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll second the Montana.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Second RHClark. Fieldcraft for me. The pillar got boogered while I was bedding my Montana and luckily live 7 miles from Barrett Firearms loaned me a Fieldcraft.

Just started thread about it.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Tikka T3 Superlight in 308
McMillan EDGE stock
Tikka Ringmount

Stupid simple.. and I kick myself for not going this route myself smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Kimber. Nothing else comes close.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
My choice would be a Winchester Featherweight.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Weatherby Ultra lightweight. 5-3/4 lbs bare. A little higher on the price range but no worse than a Kimber MT Ascent

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]
.308, 6lbs 1/4oz. as pictured

[Linked Image]
bare rifle

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nula
Montana
T3 superlite
In that order.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been chasing lightweight rifles for 40 years. Finally ended up with a Kimber. If you really want a rifle that CAN be scoped and still keep the weight under 6 lbs they are a bargain. And I have no complaints with the potential accuracy of mine.

But I've also came to the conclusion that it is about 1 lb too light. Something right around 7 lbs scoped seems to be the perfect balance of carryability and shootability, at least for me.

Out of the box a Tikka T-3 will do that. So will a Rem 700 or Savage in an Edge stock. My current go-to rifle is a Winchester 70 EW in an Edge. At 7 1/4 lbs is right on the edge of being heavier than I want. But close enough.

For the money Tikka wins though.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 270 Montana. It goes 6 # 1 oz as shown.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChipM
Weatherby Ultra lightweight. 5-3/4 lbs bare. A little higher on the price range but no worse than a Kimber MT Ascent

Absolutely second this one.

I purchased a Savage 16 Light Weight Hunter the other day. They come in .308 at 5 lb 10 0z. They are stainless.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ringman

I purchased a Savage 16 Light Weight Hunter the other day. They come in .308 at 5 lb 10 0z. They are stainless.

Have you shot it yet? I would like to hear your evaluation when you get a chance.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine are:

1) Weatherby Ultralight in 30-06.
2) Kimber Montana in 7-08
3) Tikka Supperlight in 308
4) Winchester Featherweight in 7x57
5) Remington Mountain Rifle in 260

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Have you shot it yet? I would like to hear your evaluation when you get a chance.

The one I bought is a .223. I got it to have it rebarreled to .300 Blackout because I was tired of fooling with the Ruger American. Really glad it's gone. smile I bought a 17 1/2" 8" twist barrel for $69 bucks. A special for this month is no shipping cost.

Everyday Hunter
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Another vote for Kimber Ascent in .270. Had mine out for the first time this morning. 5lbs, 15oz empty. Carries like a .22... Hope to blood it over the next two weeks.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
T3x Superlite for Me, make mine a .300 Win.......Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My M85 Sako Finnlight 260 rem 1.5-5X VX3 with sling and ammo 6 pounds 13 ounces, I swapped out that scope for a 1-6 VX6 firedot and it is in at 7 pounds even-less ammo.
My M85 Sako Finnlight 308 win 3-9 VX2CDS is 7 pounds 1 ounce with ammo and sling.

I use leupold rings, and for the scopes I use, no issues. They are a couple/few ounces less than 2 piece optilocks. Both guns shoot almost anything under 1 moa. Great trigger, good ergonomics, easy to find a consistent accurate load and no drama. I am real happy with mine, I trust them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington 700 carbine.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Satterlee Titanium Mauser.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Terryk
My M85 Sako Finnlight 260 rem 1.5-5X VX3 with sling and ammo 6 pounds 13 ounces, I swapped out that scope for a 1-6 VX6 firedot and it is in at 7 pounds even-less ammo.
My M85 Sako Finnlight 308 win 3-9 VX2CDS is 7 pounds 1 ounce with ammo and sling.

I use leupold rings, and for the scopes I use, no issues. They are a couple/few ounces less than 2 piece optilocks. Both guns shoot almost anything under 1 moa. Great trigger, good ergonomics, easy to find a consistent accurate load and no drama. I am real happy with mine, I trust them.

Finding a scope and ring combo is a lot easier with the short actions.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
Montana, hands down. Although mine is a 270, I'd be just as happy if it was 243, 6.5 Creed, 308.....

Word.

I have a 243 and 270 but want a Creed or 22-250 next.

The eastern Montana (walk-around)lightweight setup.

[Linked Image]

It is shooting like a fiend lately.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Love my Kimber Montana 84M in 308 Win. Light, handy, extremely accurate.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have always liked Remington M600 carbines, there is a Colt Light Rifle in 30-06 for sale in my area that is really nice also.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by John_Havard
I'm thinking about purchasing a lightweight bolt rifle, probably in my long-favorite caliber of 308 Win. I'd appreciate any first-hand input on the brand(s) of rifles you'd recommend: Sako 85 Carbonlight? Kimber Mountain Ascent? What others are out there that are in the same weight range that should be considered?

Given some of the lightweight rifle threads, we first have to define "lightweight"..........

6 1/2 lbs or less all up--Ultralight.

7 lbs or less--Lightweight.

7 - 7 1/2 lbs--normal sporter.

7 1/2 to 8 lbs--dont walk to far from the truck.

Over 8 lbs--hire a gunbearer..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a stainless Savage lightweight in 223 and love it. I haven't had it long. One of the first loads I developed gave me a 3/4 inch 3 shot group. The trigger is great. The magazine latch is a bit cheesy, but it flat out works. $425 after the rebate (that is still going I believe) The gun is very well balanced. It feels good in the hand and on the shoulder. It's a bargain.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My next one will be either a Kimber Montana or Adiondack in 6.5 Creed or .308. Don't think you can beat either one for the price of a true lightweight.

Only lightweight rifle I own is my WW Model 70 Featherweight XTR in 7x57. Of all my many hunting rifles, it's my favorite, and quite a bit lighter than the rest.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/12/16.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Montana.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My votes go to Kimber Montana or NULA/ULA . I am not a .308 fan, but other calibers in these brands have served me well. I have a Pre-64 Winchester FWT in 270 Win, but it is not in the same category with regard to weight.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
1. NULA
2. Rem Model 7

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've been chasing lightweight rifles for 40 years. Finally ended up with a Kimber. If you really want a rifle that CAN be scoped and still keep the weight under 6 lbs they are a bargain. And I have no complaints with the potential accuracy of mine.

But I've also came to the conclusion that it is about 1 lb too light. Something right around 7 lbs scoped seems to be the perfect balance of carryability and shootability, at least for me.

Out of the box a Tikka T-3 will do that. So will a Rem 700 or Savage in an Edge stock. My current go-to rifle is a Winchester 70 EW in an Edge. At 7 1/4 lbs is right on the edge of being heavier than I want. But close enough.

I was wondering if you were going to say that. I'm pretty intrigued by the Tikka, as of late, myself... I shoot left hand, so that's even 1 more reason to try one out... However, I'd probably just end up buying another righty....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70
My votes go to Kimber Montana or NULA/ULA . I am not a .308 fan, but other calibers in these brands have served me well. I have a Pre-64 Winchester FWT in 270 Win, but it is not in the same category with regard to weight.

donsm70

Not quite, but as JMR40 stated earlier there's a happy medium when it comes to weight, balance and shootability and I'll tell you, at 6.5 pounds, my old 270 fwt is damn hard to beat.... The Tikka and Montana are damn intriguing though when it comes right down to it...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Remington model 7 is a sleeper.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I was wondering if you were going to say that. I'm pretty intrigued by the Tikka, as of late, myself... I shoot left hand, so that's even 1 more reason to try one out... However, I'd probably just end up buying another righty....

I don't think I would put the Tikka in the same class as truly light weights like the Kimber, NULA, or Barrett. It would still be a fine light weight rifle but I think I would choose a long action caliber since the action is going to be long anyway.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I don't think I would put the Tikka in the same class as truly light weights like the Kimber, NULA, or Barrett. It would still be a fine light weight rifle but I think I would choose a long action caliber since the action is going to be long anyway.

What about the Tikka superlite? The specs on them say 6 pounds..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy to chase ounces on a rifle, but don't forget all the other schit you carry too. Swapped the bag on my pack, switched from a sleeping bag to EE quilt with a different tent and saved almost 7#.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kimber Montana. Hands down.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

What about the Tikka superlite? The specs on them say 6 pounds..

Yes,but the Montana,NULA,and Barrett are 5 lbs. You can be at 6 lbs with scope and mounts.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I had my 7-08 model 16 LWH re-stocked by Todd Bettin with one of his carbon stocks. With a 3-9 Accupoint, it weights 6.4#. I finally got it out last week. Once it was sighted in, it put 2 shots into same hole that I thought I pulled it off the paper. Unfortunately after those 2, I set the zero on the turrets and replaced the caps. In the process I spun them inadvertently, so I didn't get any "real" groups. I'm pretty sure from what I've seen, I won't be messing with handloading any 162 ELD-M. I'll stick with the 120 Ballistic Tip factory loading.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out of the Kimbers, Mountain Guides and Ti short actions I like my Forbes best. It just fits me. Great trigger,stock and shoots awesome out of the box w/no messing around. 6lb 3oz scoped with a 13oz scope. I should have bought more! Fingers crossed Barrett does it right.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The majority of the lightweight rifles are to pricey for me. What works for me is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact in 308......weighs in about 6 3/4 lb. scoped. Can't argue with the accuracy using factory Hornady Whitetail ammo.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
NO question for my use....
Model 70 Featherweight, Short Action...
2 x 7 Leupold scope on top...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Okay, ya got me.. definitely choice number two...

have handled a few, and admit I really really liked them..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cv540

Pretty much need to drop it into a lightweight stock, but if you do it sure does make a nice handy rifle.

I received a Model 7 SS 7mm-08 as a College grad present. Used it plenty, but as I obtained other rifles it sat more and more. Dropped it into a Brown FS stock a few years back and it's quickly become one of my favorites. Completely changed the handling characteristics and dropped nearly a pound.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take a M70 Featherweight. May not be "lightweight" by today's standards, but they are the "rightweight" for me. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
NO question for my use....
Model 70 Featherweight, Short Action...
2 x 7 Leupold scope on top...

I have this exact setup (SS 308) in a McMillan Edge stock with PT&G Al bottom metal, but I consider it a midweight, not a lightweight.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

With its thin barrel configuration (as originally offered), it should continue to stay asleep IMO!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Winchester featherweight in 7-08 or 308

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by southtexas
I'll take a M70 Featherweight. May not be "lightweight" by today's standards, but they are the "rightweight" for me. smile

Pre-64 M70 Fwt in McM Edge stock and Lyman 48WJS. 6lbs, 13oz as shown. 7lbs 6oz with Montana sling and 5 cartridges. Light enough, and feels good in the hands...

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

I'm somewhat in this camp. I like a rifle that's about 7# all up. Maybe just a whisker lighter.
The JC Higgins 51L ((Husqvarna/Hi Standard) is pretty sweet in this regard and a very good shooter. If you drop it in a McM it's the berries. I have one in 7x57 and one in '06. The handling is excellent. Almost too light in the McM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have one of these that I bought from Wes 7x57 here in 30-06
will group Fed Blue Box 150 gr. into 1/2 in. if you give the
thin barrel time to cool.
I sent it to Hired Gun here for Cerakote externals
Micro-Slick internals mounted a New Leupold FX-3 6x42
with a GERMAN #4 reticle
I have about $1450 all in for this total set up
AMRA

Molan Labe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cal74

Pretty much need to drop it into a lightweight stock, but if you do it sure does make a nice handy rifle.

I received a Model 7 SS 7mm-08 as a College grad present. Used it plenty, but as I obtained other rifles it sat more and more. Dropped it into a Brown FS stock a few years back and it's quickly become one of my favorites. Completely changed the handling characteristics and dropped nearly a pound.

I have a FS and a KS that I had the dumb luck (or youthful insight) to buy in the 80's. Both are great rifles. Agree with you that the current factory stocks leave a lot to be desired.

-George Washington
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
The majority of the lightweight rifles are to pricey for me. What works for me is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact in 308......weighs in about 6 3/4 lb. scoped. Can't argue with the accuracy using factory Hornady Whitetail ammo.

[Linked Image]

I'd hang on to that one!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Pre-64 M70 Fwt in McM Edge stock and Lyman 48WJS. 6lbs, 13oz as shown. 7lbs 6oz with Montana sling and 5 cartridges. Light enough, and feels good in the hands...

[Linked Image]

Very nice rifle. Mine weigs 6.5 pounds.
[Linked Image]

You can take this one, just the way it is, and hunt the hell out of it. If 6.5 pounds is too heavy, it's a damn good thing they make golf carts to carry your bags... laugh . Unlike many here, though, I consider a "lightweight" rifle anything under 8 pounds... wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't really need a lightweight but by the time you add up scope and mounts, sling and ammo and maybe a bipod it adds up quick.

Why not start out light and go from there provided it's an all day walk around rifle?

My 243 MT is 6.5lbs scoped and loaded.

The 270 MT is damn near 8.5lbs scoped and loaded along with a Harris and sling.
(I wouldn't want it any heavier...)

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
[Linked Image]

You can take this one, just the way it is, and hunt the hell out of it. If 6.5 pounds is too heavy, it's a damn good thing they make golf carts to carry your bags... laugh . Unlike many here, though, I consider a "lightweight" rifle anything under 8 pounds... wink

Yep, that was the impetus for mine. You kept posting multiple pictures, I finally said "OK, I'll try one of those..." Have 4 new-to-me rifles to hunt this year. Kimber Ascent went for a walk yesterday. Hopefully the Pre-64 will get some field time over the next two weeks...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AMRA

I have one of these that I bought from Wes 7x57 here in 30-06
will group Fed Blue Box 150 gr. into 1/2 in. if you give the
thin barrel time to cool.
I sent it to Hired Gun here for Cerakote externals
Micro-Slick internals mounted a New Leupold FX-3 6x42
with a GERMAN #4 reticle
I have about $1450 all in for this total set up
AMRA

I own or have owned a few and been around a few more. 338-06,240 WM, 280's 270's and a 300 win mag, all have shot sub moa but will open as the barrel heats up quick. Really interested in trying a new one with the 22" barrel in standard calibers and slimmed stock. Also have a Mark V 7mm-08 carbine in a B&C Medalist with Talleys and 2x7 leupold goes 6 lb 8 oz and shots sub moa all day.

I want to love the Montana's as my bud shoots one in 7mm-08 and very accurate but like the feel of the Weatherby style stock better.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Orion2000

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice,and I wouldn't have any problem hunting with it,but I wouldn't consider an 8 lb rifle lightweight. There is however no shame in saying that most of us are better shots with an 8 lb rifle and would be better served 90% of the time with one than with a 6 lb lightweight.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
RH,

Agreed. I have a Kimber Ascent @ 5/15. Very pleasant to carry. But, would not want to get much lighter from a shootability stand point.

"At this point in my life" a rifle in the 7.0 to 7.5lb weight range with scope "feels about right" for an all around rifle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rem M7
Rem 700 Mtn Rifle are my 2 favorites.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I don't really need a lightweight but by the time you add up scope and mounts, sling and ammo and maybe a bipod it adds up quick.

Why not start out light and go from there provided it's an all day walk around rifle?

Problem with getting a light, handy rifle...is that it spoils you, and the rest of your rifles feel so very UNLIGHT, and UnHandy.

You are warned.

-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Few understand the logic. But it is sound.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Problem with getting a light, handy rifle...is that it spoils you, and the rest of your rifles feel so very UNLIGHT, and UnHandy.

You are warned.

+1, I was a levergun guy for a long time. Bought my first lightweight bolt gun and never went back. The lever guns though not "overweight" feel heavy in comparison.

Sam great point.

It takes a little time to get used to "controlling a lightweight rifle" when shooting but once accomplished, they become a pleasure to carry in the field

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

You are warned.

This! My smoke pole is sub 7#s now. I'm putting together a 375HH can't imagine it "lite" but the thought of packing it up the side if the mountain leaves me feeling tired already.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Satterlee Titanium Mauser.

Do you own one and, if so, how long did it take for you to receive it? He is legendary...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just remember....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Word.

I have a 243 and 270 but want a Creed or 22-250 next.

The eastern Montana (walk-around)lightweight setup.

[Linked Image]

It is shooting like a fiend lately.

I agree with these guys. I have an 84M with an 8 twist barrel in 243 and it's a fantastic rifle.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet that's a hummer. In all the light weight world, I'm still wanting a 20" mag contour 243 in a McSwirly with a 6x SWFA up top.

Wouldn't kick a bone stock 243 Montana outta the sack though. Hell, maybe even a 300 WSM for that matter.

Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably have a different answer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You are warned.

I can attest that you are SO right. My first light rifle was a 77 UL in 308. It had 20" bll. It was short, light and a dream to hunt woods.

I've hated heavy rifles ever since.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall

You are warned.

I can attest that you are SO right. My first light rifle was a 77 UL in 308. It had 20" bll. It was short, light and a dream to hunt woods.

Jerry

I took a "break" from carrying my Forbes/Kimbers one day this season and packed a p'64 270 Win. I couldn't believe how heavy it felt!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not too many production choices in a 308win that comes out the box at no more than 5 pounds. This rules out most of the rifles noted as favorites throughout the thread. With that said, if I were seeking such a rifle, likely it would be best suited for extreme backpack sheep and goat hunting in most remote mountains, where I'd be willing to sacrifice some rifle shoot ability, to save that extra pound off the base rifle; 5 pounds vs 6 pounds. If this were the case, it boils down to which rifle fits and works best for YOU, not me.

Personally, my cut off is about 6 pounds base weight. Regardless if going fixed sights only, or going light trim scope keeping package under 7 pounds, I greatly enjoy the handling and shoot ability of the rifle, while it is still easy to pack in most any hunting situation. Going below this cut off, takes more joy from my shoot ability than I gain in pack ability. Also personally, the production rifle that fits me the best, is the least finiky, and gives me the least troubles in shoot ability when on the lighter weight end of the scale, is a Sako Finnlight, 6 pound base weight. The new Carbonlight is the same rifle and dimensions, but adds a custom ground pounder type stock, and options for a threaded muzzle. So likely that would be my first choice if my hunting became so extreme that I needed to cut a pound off my preferred Finnlight, while staying box stock production.

What fits and works better for you, same as boots and backpacks, may very well be different.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will add:

Barrett - no experience; but I would be suspect until they are well proven and well vetted.

Mountain Ascent - no experience; but do have experience w/ Montana. Based on that, the word "finicky" comes to mind.

NULA - yes to experience; though in the end, I've reached the conclusion they are just not my cup of tea, they are good rifles. However, Melven can get rather opinionated, and at times come across like course grit sandpaper. But if a NULA works for you, they are well proven.

Lastly, if willing to go up a bit in weight, this would open the door for more production choices.

Last edited by GaryVA; 11/14/16.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. As usual, "need" in this case is much less important than "want". I'll always be hunting with one of my company's recurve bows, but my hunting partner likes to carry along a rifle strapped to his (and sometimes my) backpack in case he sees something beyond bow range that he can't live without.

We bow hunt for moose every year in Alaska and given where we hunt the possibility for wolves or a huge moose out of bow range definitely exists. Hence his desire for a tag-along rifle. We've been using my 308 Blaser (I own two Blaser 308's and both shoot lights out) but all-in it's a bit heavier than either of us want to carry just because.

Agree with everyone that within reason a bit more weight makes a rifle arguably more accurate or at least easier to hold still. It just makes them harder to carry around as a "might use" backup.

This is more a quest to find the lightest 308 I can. I'd love to keep everything under six pounds all up. That's pretty limiting I know but that's my goal. Mainly just because that's what I want (as opposed to need).

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. As usual, "need" in this case is much less important than "want". I'll always be hunting with one of my company's recurve bows, but my hunting partner likes to carry along a rifle strapped to his (and sometimes my) backpack in case he sees something beyond bow range that he can't live without.

We bow hunt for moose every year in Alaska and given where we hunt the possibility for wolves or a huge moose out of bow range definitely exists. Hence his desire for a tag-along rifle. We've been using my 308 Blaser (I own two Blaser 308's and both shoot lights out) but all-in it's a bit heavier than either of us want to carry just because.

Agree with everyone that within reason a bit more weight makes a rifle arguably more accurate or at least easier to hold still. It just makes them harder to carry around as a "might use" backup.

This is more a quest to find the lightest 308 I can. I'd love to keep everything under six pounds all up. That's pretty limiting I know but that's my goal. Mainly just because that's what I want (as opposed to need).

John,I'll help you out and trade you my already bedded Kimber Montana 7-08 for one of those Blazers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In that case, get the sub 5-pound Kimber and put an Aimpoint micro on the front bridge. That would be light and handy.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by GaryVA; 11/14/16.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the military T2 version and Aimpoint makes a micro base plate for it to mount directly to the front bridge of my Sako 85. If you check my old posts, been working on getting one made available in the US for some time.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have an H-2 and think they're awfully nice. Got mine to compare with an RMR I'd mounted on one of my 500 S&W mag lever guns. However, for my intended purpose on this bolt gun I'll want something with magnification.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Second thoughts, forget the Kimber, get the Carbonlight and use the same plate as mine to mount the micro on front bridge. Would be like mine but pound lighter.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6hH321Q8T4

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an H-2 and think they're awfully nice. Got mine to compare with an RMR I'd mounted on one of my 500 S&W mag lever guns. However, for my intended purpose on this bolt gun I'll want something with magnification.

The .308 I used this year was borrowed. I do know it weighs under five pounds without scope. Going with Talleys and a 3-9X scope it would definitely be under six pounds. If you make your own 1" sling just long enough to strap across your chest so you can fool with your game animal it will add only one ounce. You can get the nylon strapping from the clothe store. I use plastic sling swivels for two reasons. One so they don't squeak and two to keep the sling light. Mine is 34 5/8" from cross screw to cross screw.

By the way I ran 155 grain Sierras. They averaged 2,775 feet per second.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Kimber Montana .308, talley lows, fx-II 6x36, LRD.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Rifles Inc (Lex Webernick) in 7 STW. It's a bit "stiff", recoil-wise, but a pleasure to tote in the mountains in Alaska.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I put together this elk rifle in 1995. A Cliff LaBounty 338-06 rebore of a Walmart 270 ADL. I threw it in a Rem KS Mountain McMillan take-off. It has five elk, a grizzly and a blackie down. A few hogs and a couple of mule deer as well. It just feels dead right when shouldered.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Yup. With a Butler Creek Mountain Sling and four rounds it will go 6lbs 5oz's. I know because I've had mine configured that way in the past, though it currently wears a 2.5-8x36 CDS. Like some here, I actually use it in the mountains, and honestly can say I don't want it any lighter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Gotta go straight duplex. Those LRD reticles add unnecessary weight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Alaska? Lightweight backup Rifle?
Hmmm, model 7KS in .350 mag stuffed with 225 partitions kind of defines Alaska "might need for something" rifle.

-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Gary,

Is that aimpoint youtube on your Sako black bear?

Thanks,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My .308 Kimber Montana has been a solid performer for the last 11 yrs. Accurate, non-finicky, no tweaking needed.
But, if looking for a rifle that would spend almost all of its time strapped to my pack as secondary or backup I'd look at the shorter Kimber Adirondack.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I love my Kimber 308, but mine has a 3-10 B&C reticle. I had aRemngton TI and replaced it with the Kimber.
[Linked Image]

Mine makes it to the mountains as well. I could sell everything else having this one, absolute pleasure to carry.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My choice?

Remington M7 AWR, 7mm SAUM. Topped with a 2.5-8x36 Leupold, it tips at 7#, 1oz.

[Linked Image]

In that picture it wore a Leica 2.5-10x42. I shed 6oz changing scopes.

Hunt Africa while you can
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hey, I want it back! :-)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those 308 Montana's seem a sweet ticket. Plenty of ass and more ammo than you can shake a stick at. All wrapped up in a little package. I'd though long and hard about one but got swooned by a 270 in the classifieds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And factory loaded 155 Lapua Scenars would seal the deal.

Damn........

Who wants my 270?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And factory loaded 155 Lapua Scenars would seal the deal.

Damn........

Who wants my 270?

If its the one from STS45 I will gladly purchase it from you.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sako Finnlight

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
My choice would be a Winchester Featherweight.

If class has anything to do with your decision.....a Featherweight in .308 is classic.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This rifle will be all about function. Looks are of minimal importance. It will receive plenty of punishment strapped to the outside of a backpack when busting brush.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
This topic has given me lots of ideas.. I am now getting prices for putting a rifle togheter.

308Win
Tikka T3 SS
20" factory threaded barrel
McMillan Sako Hunter EDGE
Tikka Ringmount
4x36 Kahles

Should be 6.5-7 lbs

The US in the last 40 years:

Socialism for big corporations and military industrial complex

&

Rugged individualism for the individual.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall

You are warned.

Jerry

I own two Ruger ULs. To me they are ideal in weight and dimensions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still prefer my Remington 700 Mountain Rifles, late 80s early 90s models with Walnut stocks.
Also like the 700 KS as well as the 700 Ti. The Kimber Montana is in the closet but has not been tested in the field.

Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Since you are looking for something for the backpack,I would go with the Kimber Mountain ascent. It will be as light as you will get and plenty tough for the rough country.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How about a husqvarna 1600 series lightweight? They go about 7 lbs with a 4X and leather sling. Much less with an good composite stock.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think a Nula in .284 win would be the cats meow.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by TomM1
How about a husqvarna 1600 series lightweight? They go about 7 lbs with a 4X and leather sling. Much less with an good composite stock.

If you can get one with a good adjustable trigger I like them, a lot!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Kimber Montana 308 has been my do all rifle lately. Carries great, shoots great and the stock fits most people pretty well.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'd go Kimber Montana .308;

*Want shorter... Cut & crown the barrel

*Want Lighter... one of chris's Ti bolt handles from the classifieds & if it has the steel trigger guard you can pick up an aftermarket aluminum one for not much.

You'd be into it for much less than the Adirondack or the Mountain Ascent.

I think 'alaskalanche' (think that is his user name?) has a few threads where he went this route, ie. lightening up an already very light Kimber Montana

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 11/16/16.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Like a couple of folks have mentioned; don't overlook a 6 lug Weatherby MK V. My 7mm-08 stainless carbine w/ 20" barrel, S&K stainless mounts, Diavari 2.5-10x42 in a McMillan Sako Classic standard fill comes in at 7lbs/1oz. Perfect weight for me. The Sako Classic stock transformed the gun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 11/18/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

*Want Lighter... one of chris's Ti bolt handles from the classifieds & if it has the steel trigger guard you can pick up an aftermarket aluminum one for not much.

I think 'alaskalanche' (think that is his user name?) has a few threads where he went this route, ie. lightening up an already very light Kimber Montana

Jerry

Agreed. If you want a short barrel Kimber I wouldn't spend the extra on the Adirondack at all.

Money ahead buying a Montana and chopping it to whatever barrel length you want.

I had my Kimber .308 Montana down to 4 pounds 10 oz. Then I had a front sight installed and QD rings and a peep and am at 4 pounds 14 oz with its 20" long barrel.
[Linked Image]

But I have down what Jerry said above along with cutting 2" off the barrel and fluting the bolt as well as having the action skelotnized. It truly is a sweet little gun.

With QD talley rings and a 3-9X33 Leupy Ultralight its still 5 pounds 11 oz.
[Linked Image]

The trouble is I also have a Kimber Montana in 338-06 with a much better (heavier) scope (VX-6 2-12-42)and still still less than 6 pounds 2 oz and can push 210 grainers faster than I can shoot 165s out of the .308
[Linked Image]

So I find myself only hunting with the 338-06 and the .308 is quickly becoming a safe queen.

In order to resurrect my poor forgotten .308 I am going to have it sent to JES to be rebored to a 358 win and cut to 16". Should be able to get 2450-2500 fps from the 16" barrel with a 200 grain TSX and it'll be my summer carry rifle for bear protection as well as my SE AK deer hunting thumper. At 4.75 pounds likely with a peep on it and just over 35" long it won't be a rifle most folks would want, but it will fill a niche for me better now since I don't see using my .308 anytime soon.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
alaska_lanche, the only thing I'd suggest for sighting your new 358 would be adding something like an RMR or perhaps an Aimpoint Micro instead of just a peep. I've used each on my Bighorn 89's and think they're the cat's ass for close work.

Good input on a light rifle. Thanks for the info!

John

Last edited by John_Havard; 11/18/16.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Jerry

Agreed. If you want a short barrel Kimber I wouldn't spend the extra on the Adirondack at all.

Money ahead buying a Montana and chopping it to whatever barrel length you want.

I had my Kimber .308 Montana down to 4 pounds 10 oz. Then I had a front sight installed and QD rings and a peep and am at 4 pounds 14 oz with its 20" long barrel.
[Linked Image]

But I have down what Jerry said above along with cutting 2" off the barrel and fluting the bolt as well as having the action skelotnized. It truly is a sweet little gun.

With QD talley rings and a 3-9X33 Leupy Ultralight its still 5 pounds 11 oz.
[Linked Image]

The trouble is I also have a Kimber Montana in 338-06 with a much better (heavier) scope (VX-6 2-12-42)and still still less than 6 pounds 2 oz and can push 210 grainers faster than I can shoot 165s out of the .308
[Linked Image]

So I find myself only hunting with the 338-06 and the .308 is quickly becoming a safe queen.

In order to resurrect my poor forgotten .308 I am going to have it sent to JES to be rebored to a 358 win and cut to 16". Should be able to get 2450-2500 fps from the 16" barrel with a 200 grain TSX and it'll be my summer carry rifle for bear protection as well as my SE AK deer hunting thumper. At 4.75 pounds likely with a peep on it and just over 35" long it won't be a rifle most folks would want, but it will fill a niche for me better now since I don't see using my .308 anytime soon.

Who fluted the bolt for you?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup I have already done that to my Browning TI 325 WSM I had with the 18" barrel.

I liked it so much I may go that route again since I have the RMR staying around. smile

[Linked Image]

Of course the weight of the 358 win should be roughly 12-14 oz lighter than what the 325WSM was with the same RMR.

Oh and if you are wondering why I like to start with rifles that are so light is because with just glass and rings and rifle a 5.7 pound rifle can turn into a 6.6 pound rifle by the time I add scope cover, a sling, 12 rounds, and a shell holder to be ready to hunt.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Exactly. Start light, add ammo, sling, sights - it adds up quickly. Hunting the back 40 with 4-wheeler access negates the issue of added weight. But climbing on shank's mare with a backpack and all your gear makes a couple/three pounds saved seem like a big deal.

Last edited by John_Havard; 11/18/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Kimber Montana 308 with it's Leupold VX 111 2.5-8 and mounts weighs 6# 1 oz!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exactly. Start light, add ammo, sling, sights - it adds up quickly. Hunting the back 40 with 4-wheeler access negates the issue of added weight. But climbing on shank's mare with a backpack and all your gear makes a couple/three pounds saved seem like a big deal.

You sure got that right.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey, I want it back! :-)

Not a chance Biebs my friend! smile

Not a chance!

This is my Foul Weather do it all.

[Linked Image]

It did this too!

[Linked Image]

Hey Biebs, I still have 9 full boxes of those 7mm SAUM Factor Premier 160s'. I'm set for a long, long time!

Last edited by rnovi; 11/18/16.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Link to that Saterlee action.

[Linked Image]

Pricing:
> $6500.00

I dont recommend going there. Satterlee has proven time and time again
he is nothing but a total PITA to deal with...and dont go foolishly defending him because
you have never ordered a rifle or action from him...the list of disgruntled customers is long.
In any case SA never made those Ti actions....they are left over old stock fromthat failed
business called Taconics.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Like a couple of folks have mentioned; don't overlook a 6 lug Weatherby MK V. My 7mm-08 stainless carbine w/ 20" barrel, S&K stainless mounts, Diavari 2.5-10x42 in a McMillan Sako Classic standard fill comes in at 7lbs/1oz. Perfect weight for me. The Sako Classic stock transformed the gun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Still the best all around rifle for hunting I ever ever seen!
AMRA

Molan Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Link to that Saterlee action.

[Linked Image]

Pricing:
> $6500.00

I dont recommend going there. Satterlee has proven time and time again
he is nothing but a total PITA to deal with...and dont go foolishly defending him because
you have never ordered a rifle or action from him...the list of disgruntled customers is long.
In any case SA never made those Ti actions....they are left over old stock fromthat failed
business called Taconics.

You guys take things way too seriously.....LOL. smile

I threw it up as a spoof. You'd have to be a bit touched to part out over $6k to save a few ounces on an action.

This one is light enough for me. Otherwise buy a Kimber.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/19/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Rifles Inc. Strata, .284 Win with PGT bolt and long box; Swaro Z3; the stock now "Kryoned" by me after many hunting dings.

140-gr TTSX with R17 and OAL at 2.98", 3170 fps; .5 MOA to 400 yds. Have used it on mule deer, whitetail (one at 500 yds) and black bear.

6.3 lbs as is.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 11/23/16.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 72 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.