Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Crossarm; sandbag front rest at 500 yards with 7mm Mashburn Super. 162 Amax IIRC.. Rifle weighs a shade under 8 pounds.

[Linked Image]

270 M70 FW; 300 yards prone, fore end supported in left hand and no rear rest.Seems like I need more support beyond 400 so am likely to use crossarm with rear rest. Bipods are an open question since I use them very little until very recently.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/22/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Crossarm, with a Crown Royal rear beanbag and (this is important for me) the Harris bipod preloaded forward. Have shot many small groups like that.

However I'm pretty sure my prone position is fairly incorrect. Workin' on it, that's the fun of this stuff after all! My 7 WSM Kimber is my bullshit detector. I have to be on my game to shoot that one to its potential.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It is much harder to shoot heavy recoiling rifles at long range in field positions that the light kickers; that is a certainty.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's all in my RIGHT hand, in the case of my Kimber. Not the fore-end/left hand. If my trigger control is good and hand pressure is consistent I shoot small groups. If not I pull flyers to the right.

I don't know the "truth" of whether or not it's better to control the fore-end for everyone. I do know that for myself, I'm best off minimizing my points of contact with the rifle. Grabbing that fore-end adds a whole other point of potential mayhem from ME. Where I've found consistency is in preloading the bipod forward and in right hand position and trigger press and follow-through.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My hunting shot first choice is prone with a tight sling and my left hand on my back pack.
Below are some groups shot that way a few years apart at our Friday morning 500 yard practice sessions at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club.
7.5 pound M70.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

While the tight sling is preferable, I couldn't use it on this years Coues buck as I could not elevate the muzzle enough after I rotated the butt into my shoulder pocket...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot some 100 yard and long range groups yesterday experimenting. I can't really say I have anything definitive from testing. It may be that all rifles are different smile

I shot my light Creedmoor. 100 yard groups varied. I used the tight sling along with a forarm hold with the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bipod, and a rear bag. Best was 1/2" and worst was .8"

I then abandoned the sling and just used a tight forearm hold. It shot about the same. I shot a group with this method that was great at 760:

[Linked Image]

I also shot my "light" .300 Winchester with the 208. I used a tight sling and the forearm hold as with the Creed. Groups were not good. I then shot a group simply off of the bipod while squeezing the rear bag and it went 1/2".

I dialed the 710 yard target and did the same (bipod with left hand on the rear bag) and shot an awesome group. Just made a big black mark that just kept getting blacker...

[Linked Image]

I guess a guy just needs to experiment to see what works.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
473 members (1Longbow, 160user, 30378, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,001 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.