-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well then try a different bulllet! Grin...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have, lately been using 64 gr Noslers and 62 gr TBBC's with fine results.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fairness,I've shot every boolit cited and a LOT that ain't. Hint.

The 75 Swift S2 is a fickle bitch and a boot in the balls,as Precision goes. It's an easy pass for that reason,along with the fact it has huge bearing surface,doesn't obturate for schit and it's QC is horrid.

Pass the 21" 1-8" 223AI and 75A-Max smooches over all others,if only because I've got ALL the T-shirts.

My 22-250AI's will reap 3500fps in 24" guise with 75 'Max,but there is NO fhuqking way a Creed' or SALAMI will come close with 80's. Hint.

I hear through The Grape Vine,that moly keeps a bore happier...longer. Hint.

You've been led to water................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
If I remember right I'm loading 33 grains of RL15 for 3,250-3,300fps.

That's with the 75gr. A-Max.

Travis

that's were my numbers hit with the same charge.. right at 3300 fps....

its also the same place with an 80 grainer.... just a little more pressure I am assuming...

24 inch barrel on my Ruger 77...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Big Stick

The 75 Swift S2 is a fickle bitch and a boot in the balls,as Precision goes. It's an easy pass for that reason,along with the fact it has huge bearing surface,doesn't obturate for schit and it's QC is horrid.

Pass the 21" 1-8" 223AI and 75A-Max smooches over all others,if only because I've got ALL the T-shirts.

My 22-250AI's will reap 3500fps in 24" guise with 75 'Max,but there is NO fhuqking way a Creed' or SALAMI will come close with 80's. Hint.

Stick, I know you have used the 75 Amax a lot on deer size critters at longer ranges, how does it perform at closer ranges? I shoot a lot of deer under 100 yards due to the topography of the areas I hunt.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Can we just take a second here since it's Easter for Christ fugkin' sake?

I'm all for being a loony and if you want to call your 22-250 AI the .22 Creed Pussy Killah, by all means, order a custom reamer and get after it. You want to shoot cottontail with the 26 Nosler? You have my blessing. I give not a fugk.

But the 22-250 is the .250 Savage necked down. That birthed one of the GREATEST cartridges the world hath seen. Years later, guys AI'd it. Great. More powder, more faster. I get it.

Years later, it got necked up to 6.5 in an effort to address mag constraint issues. Awesome. Great round. Let's neck it down to 6? Absolutely. Makes sense. the 6 has higher BC bullets than the 25 with less recoil than the 6.5's and the ability to runner lighter bullets at higher speeds.

But now... we're gonna go full circle... and claim that the fugking 6.5 Creedmoor case necked down to .224 is some sort of magic?

IT'S THE SAME FUGKING CARTRIDGE.

By all means use it, but you're shooting a 22-250AI and that ain't going to yield 3,500fps with an 80gr Hornady.

Clark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llgY3VBwTAo

This is what your post reminds me of, funny but truthful.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm getting 3800+ with both 75gr AMAXs and 70gr TSXs in my 22-6mm AI. Haven't pushed beyond that velocity but no need to lean on it any harder just to be able brag. Barrel is an 8-twist Bartlein finished at 28.5".

The thick necks of Hornady brass (W-W is pretty hard to find at the moment) make it sort of a pain in the arse to load for but it was never going to be my most practical rifle.

Haven't shot anything with it yet but that will change in a week or two.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The 75 AMAX at 3,800 fps should be a real BOMB... shocked

Post mortem photos should be interesting... wink

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thinking about your 70 gr. TSX at 3,800 fps reminded me of my experience with the .240 Wby. Check out the 80 gr. TTSX performance at 3,600 fps on a WT doe.

Although different calibers, some info may be applicable to high speed .22's, several bullets were tried. Bullet performance, .224/.243 may not be that different, especially at similar velocities.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8311560/1

DF

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Can we just take a second here since it's Easter for Christ fugkin' sake?

I'm all for being a loony and if you want to call your 22-250 AI the .22 Creed Pussy Killah, by all means, order a custom reamer and get after it. You want to shoot cottontail with the 26 Nosler? You have my blessing. I give not a fugk.

But the 22-250 is the .250 Savage necked down. That birthed one of the GREATEST cartridges the world hath seen. Years later, guys AI'd it. Great. More powder, more faster. I get it.

Years later, it got necked up to 6.5 in an effort to address mag constraint issues. Awesome. Great round. Let's neck it down to 6? Absolutely. Makes sense. the 6 has higher BC bullets than the 25 with less recoil than the 6.5's and the ability to runner lighter bullets at higher speeds.

But now... we're gonna go full circle... and claim that the fugking 6.5 Creedmoor case necked down to .224 is some sort of magic?

IT'S THE SAME FUGKING CARTRIDGE.

By all means use it, but you're shooting a 22-250AI and that ain't going to yield 3,500fps with an 80gr Hornady.

Clark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llgY3VBwTAo

This is what your post reminds me of, funny but truthful.....

Blue steel baby....

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LBP

Stick, I know you have used the 75 Amax a lot on deer size critters at longer ranges, how does it perform at closer ranges? I shoot a lot of deer under 100 yards due to the topography of the areas I hunt.

Not Stick here, but got my first Amax kill recently at 40 yards. I aimed to break the long bone in the upper leg and that's what it did. Wreaked it, then wreaked the onside lung. He didn't go far. 223, 75 grain Amax @2900fps

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 117LBS
Originally Posted by LBP

Not Stick here, but got my first Amax kill recently at 40 yards. I aimed to break the long bone in the upper leg and that's what it did. Wreaked it, then wreaked the onside lung. He didn't go far. 223, 75 grain Amax @2900fps

Did you get an exit, or recover the bullet?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by 117LBS
Originally Posted by LBP

Did you get an exit, or recover the bullet?

Had three small exits, but the bullet had mostly fragmented. He went down quickly and bleed out internally, but the entrance in the hide was small(maybe 30 cal) and he didn't leave a blood trail, not that one was needed. I mostly use behind the shoulder shots but I wanted to test the limit of this bullet first time out.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Good information

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Lester,

My son just poked a doe at 116 yards with the 75 AMAX launched at 3150 MV from a 223 AI. The bullet entered the shoulder and broke the big bone below the scapula the went in the rib cage and wrecked the top/front half of both lungs, then exited the ribcage breaking one rib and then broke the other shoulder bone. fragments were stuck in the off shoulder and between the shoulder and hide.

the deer managed to run about 40 yards and left no blood but it wasn't necessary in this case. honestly, the boy hit it a bit too far forward only getting a piece of the lungs and none of the heart and the deer still died quickly.

If hit behind the shoulder I have no doubt I would have gotten an exit. I have no issues using the Amax for deer from what I've seen, even if only a sample of one

Last edited by Dude270; 11/26/16.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think I'll give them a try.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I can only tell what I have seen. My 8 twist 22-250 does 3375 with Sierra 80's but this is from a 28 inch barrel. It would likely do a bit more but accuracy is good here. I load IMR 4451 which has produced the best accuracy of anything I've tried in this rifle. By the way, I have seen no evidence of significant case stretching. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

75 Amax at 3500 via 22-250 Ackley at 210 yards:

[Linked Image]

That's the entrance. Muther f'er still ran off a couple hundred yards......finally found him crawled under a log, breathing his last.

I quit using them after that......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
75 A-Max 3150fps initial launch,15yds away...impact velocity greater than a 3500fps launch of same impacting at the 210yd line. Nary a wiggle,step or doubt. Same as per always.

Sadly shot that spout out and it's now a 18" 270 for 105's. Oh well...I go through lotsa barrels.

[Linked Image]

I've not personally seen that boolit(75 'Max) fly into much more than 100 Bucks and nobody has ever had to launch a second. The kids alone have killed dozens with same.

I know of one 22-250AI that's killed (3) Dall Rams over 40" with 75A-Max and is prolly held in esteem,while bordering bein' Famous to boot.(grin)

Can only know of Bulls(Elks and Caribouski's),Bucks,Bears,Woofs and Sheeps swatted with same. Everyone holds it in the highest regard and are shooting it as THE mainstay projectile,in all platforms that'll stabilize same. 223AI's and 22-250AI's obviously.

Tough to get giddy about the 70X or 70GMX,as the 62X's steals the monomettle show. Pun be intended. It has the best blend of integrity to BC/mass...the 70X is a piss poor design,which left aero form on the table,to soothe Krunchenticker confines. Great shame.

[Linked Image]

The 62TSX serves well in Self Shuckers,but I default the 75 Hornie HPBT there,as a Utilitarian Meat And Taters Load. It's unwavering in it's relative abilities.

[Linked Image]

I suffer a 22-250 SALAMI 1-7" Mike Rock greater than VS and shy of MTU,draped in an A5 with all the trimmings,yada,yada,yada. Bottom left. On a .473" Donor and talking .224" bore sizing,I'm 22-250AI or bust...due 223AI fast twist splendor. prolly a 223AI in the frame too.(grin)

[Linked Image]

MUCH prefer the 22-250AI over the SALAMI and a Swift 75gr S2 Famous Buck here,launched from same. 1-7.7" Krieger. Sound rifle,but pass the 75 A-Max.

[Linked Image]

Easy for me to say...I shoot it all and everyone that shoots one of mine,builds to follow suit,with the 75 'Max as THE mainstay..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You've posted some spectacular photos, but that last one stands out. Everytime I see it I think If someone asked what hunting was about, all you'd have to do is show them that pic.

Last edited by jackmountain; 11/27/16.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.