Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking to get one of the Howa 1500 Lightnings off Whittakers in 6.5 Creed. What's the scoop on these? Compared to some other similarly priced options like the RAP, how do they stack up? Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Don't think you can go wrong with the Howa or the 6.5 Creed chambering.

Too bad the deal fell through on the SS Howas or I would have purchased one.

SD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that they shoot good and are a great value at $330, but I HATE the Hogue stocks. I restocked mine with a Vanguard2 stock that I took off another 6.5 Creedmoor that I had bedded in a McM McM Hunter.

I think that in the sub-$400 market, the Howa 1500s and RAR-Predators are equally good shooters and equally poor in other areas. I don't like the Hogue stock on the Howa and I don't like detachable magazines on bolt guns. If you're looking for a rifle to use "as is", I would prefer the RAR-Predator over the Howa 1500.

That said, I'm really particular about having my rifle stocks fit me and for the whole package to have neutral, or close to neutral, balance. Most people aren't as particular about their rifles stocks and would probably not feel as strongly about them as I do. I have also restocked some of my RAR-Predators with laminated stocks from Boyds in their Heritage style. Another thing to consider when reading what I write here is that I am a tinkerer and can't resist modifying rifles that are intended for shooting, rather than collecting, to meet my specific likes.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The stocks can be slimmed.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They're a no brainer and Mtn Boomer does great work at a great price.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So, how much do you charge to redo a Hogue stock from factory specs to Mtnboomer specs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much do the Lightnings weigh?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
How much do the Lightnings weigh?

I think they're around 8-8.5.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Depends Jeff. LOL

To go that far, as the one shown above - it's a bit more than less. I think the new owner is happy with it.

I have tried to stay away from shaping flutes on them as that takes about another hour, and is prone to screw-ups. Then there's clearcoat options... Re-using the fat Hogue buttpad is easy; a flip-flop just more time and a bit less length and weight.... The shaping is truly time consuming ... Green is better than black... There's a lot of pinholes to fill etc. To get real round on the forearms tip like that one above I had to fill a bit with Devcon to make it work. I do find Franklins and Grants very interesting, Jacksons a bit less so, LOL, it really depends on what you'd like. Obviously hesitant to start throwing firm numbers out. Maybe someday but just not there yet.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks!

Whatever time you spent, the end result looks great.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Appreciate it.

Can't beet $330 and only $13 to ship and easy layaway at Whittaker Guns!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The Howa 1500 is the best deal going in a center fire rifle.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Own a couple of Howas, and a Ruger Predator...

Ain't no comparison....

The Howa is twice the rifle in My opinion, even at twice the price...

Thru Whitakers, ain't no comparison whatsoever.....

Got a couple coming this week in fact...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really nice piece of work there Boomer...looks like the time you spent was worth the effort. Makes a Howa worth looking at without thinking about doing a plain vanilla no frills Boyd's something to it...but then hardwheel yard sized wheelbarrows and round point shovels have become high tech tools for me the deeper into geezerhood's list of ailments I get.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
Own a couple of Howas, and a Ruger Predator...

Ain't no comparison....

The Howa is twice the rifle in My opinion, even at twice the price...

Thru Whitakers, ain't no comparison whatsoever.....

Got a couple coming this week in fact...

Posts like this are one of the reasons that this site is valuable!

You got two pretty different perspectives from me and Seafire.

From me, you read that the Howa 1500 and RAR-Predators are "pick-'em" equals, both with flaws, just different flaws.

From Seafire, you read that the Howa is twice the rifle and worth it even if you paid twice what a comparable RAR-Predator would cost you.

We do agree that you're unlikely to find a better price on the Howas than from Whittaker's. While I'm not planning to buy any Howas from Whittaker's any time soon, I am planning to buy one or two of the limited, non-cataloged, run of RAR-Predators when Darrick gets them in from Ruger. These are the non-cataloged RAR-Ps that Ruger made for high volume stocking dealer in 2014 (25-06) and 2015 (260). I was hoping for a 257 Roberts or 6mm Rem in 2016, but my hopes didn't bear fruit.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Anyone know what the barreled action/bottom metal weight of the lightings run? Thinking of picking one up and dropping it in a different stock and am curious if what total weight would be after ditching the hogue.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
KU.

I have two "customs" built on Howa actions and your end product is going to be in the 7-7.5lb range. I can weigh mine again if you'd like.

If you want super-duper light the Howa is not the route to take.

Travis

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Not looking for a fly weight, thinking a 7mm or 300wm so a little weight will be okay. If you have build on a long action you could weigh, I would appreciate it!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a Howa lightning in 308 a while back for a project just to see how it would be. I bedded the action in a high tech specialties stock, Talley lightweights, fixed 6x weaver scope and a lightweight black sling. With 3 rounds in the gun it weighs in at 7.5lbs ready to hunt which for me is about where i like a hunting rifle as a struggle to shoot ultralights as well as I would like.

I had some 150 grain Barnes ttsx loads laying around so i ran them through them in the gun and it shoots about 3/4" - 1" groups at 100 yards with no load tuning at all as all the reloads I have been shooting were for a Remington 700 I had a while back. The potential is there for a pretty accurate rifle if played with more but I am happy with what i have to this point.

I don't particularly like the 2 stage trigger on the rifle but Timney makes a replacement that is good and might be in the rifles future.

Overall I am very pleased with the rifle and would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could just get them to make an 8 twist 223 I would dump my Ruger American in a heartbeat for another one since the gun feeds like butter and handles pretty well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 3,148 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.