Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
HTRN, you'll curse the day you start messing with a Sharps. cry........nothing like em though buddy.

Thanks EE and WCH, it was my pleasure.

And hell yeah KW, that's four down so far this year, all with black powder, lead and iron sights too. cool

Trump Won!
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by gunner500
I hunted my tail off in South West Arkansas over the last day in a half, hunting was brutally thick, the sawbriars didn't disappoint.

I was fortunate enough to level the sights of my new Shiloh 40-65 on three deer, three shots, then three rode home with me.

Deer #1, Doe, 88 yards, clean broadside double shoulder shot, DRT, complete penetration.

Deer #2, Doe, 30 yards, extremely hard quartering away shot, raked and penetrated ribcage on left side, bullet exited right front center shoulder, 30 yard death run, complete penetration.

Deer #3, 5pt buck, 105 yards, full front on chest with a slight leftward front cant, bullet entered left center chest and exited right ham, DRT, complete penetration.

I had a damn blast and was blessed to have this hunt. smile

Bullet was a 416 gr Lyman flat nosed greaser at 1285 fps with KIK 3F Holy Black.

With over 4 feet of penetration on this buck, I'd gladly point this rifle at a Bison with complete confidence.

You suck.

wink

grinToldja! grin

LOL, Thanks 4ager, and BWAHAHAHA Big Jim. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Kurt71
[Linked Image]
Huh what was that noise? did I hear a shot?? smile
Hey Gunner I asked for blood and I see you did well!! Very good.

You bet, there's your blood Kurt, that little 416 gr flat nosed greaser is a missile buddy, I sent ET and Sharpsguy a pic of the deer stacked up like cord wood, the little Shiloh and a 45 cal. single action revolver was in the pic too.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gosh darn, I just now remembered that a local 100 yard range is open at night. I might actually get something loaded & tested for this weekend - besides a boring 7mm-08. smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
gosh darn, I just now remembered that a local 100 yard range is open at night. I might actually get something loaded & tested for this weekend - besides a boring 7mm-08. smirk

Yes, forget that smokeless for awhile Tex, get it on with your Sharps buddy, that being said, a damn pre-64 243 FWT rifle fell in my lap yesterday. shocked

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Kurt71
Don't cut the .40-65 short for Bison. I know a feller that had a Bison hunting ranch and he had a cow fence jumper. He took his .40-65 and dropped her with one shot on the spot.

That's great news Kurt, I'll see how this 40 of mine will do one day soon, I don't believe I'll be disappointed.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kurt, I had a half dozen rounds loaded with the 403169 in my cartridge belt, but didn't use them. They are not as accurate as the 385 grain paper patched load in my rifle, so I went with the the most accurate load.

Gunner, I'm having the buck mounted, and I AM proud of him, but a pretty mount he ain't gonna be. He had been fighting, and had two tines broken off his left side and one off his right side. Kinda ugly, but he is proof positive that a 40 caliber Sharps and paper patched bullets do hit with authority. I think that 40-65 of yours proved to be every bit the equal of this 40-70 and doesn't give up anything to it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I just got back from a weekend deer hunt on a friend's ranch in west Texas. Both my host and Gunner wanted me to shoot my 40-70 Sharps as I had never taken an animal with a 40 caliber rifle. I was able to get a shot at a decent 10 point buck at 131 yards, and the 40-70 put a 385 grain round nosed paper patched bullet through and through the buck on a high shoulder shot. 69 grains of KIK 2f pushed the bullet to 1285 fps, and I was frankly surprised at how loud the sound of the bullet hitting the deer was. The deer went down RIGHT NOW, and if I had reservations about using the 40-70 or the 40-65 on game prior to this, I will tell you that the forty caliber rifles with the right bullet will definitely get the job done.

Amazing how a high shoulder shot knocks em down isn't it. It hits and or shocks the spine. Even with my tiny 300/221 and 900 fps bullets.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Kurt, I had a half dozen rounds loaded with the 403169 in my cartridge belt, but didn't use them. They are not as accurate as the 385 grain paper patched load in my rifle, so I went with the the most accurate load.

Gunner, I'm having the buck mounted, and I AM proud of him, but a pretty mount he ain't gonna be. He had been fighting, and had two tines broken off his left side and one off his right side. Kinda ugly, but he is proof positive that a 40 caliber Sharps and paper patched bullets do hit with authority. I think that 40-65 of yours proved to be every bit the equal of this 40-70 and doesn't give up anything to it.

I'll take a big ole beat up bruiser buck any day over a virgin pretty boy buck, your buck was out fighting, breaking horn tips and getting laid before he ran into you and that 40 Sharps. cool

What a way to go.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This whole 40 caliber weekend got me to thinking. I have a Pedersoli Sharps in 40-65 that has been ignored for well over ten years. It was my wife's old silhouette rifle. I dusted it off and rounded up a few paper patch rounds and a dozen or so 400 grain greasers and went to the range. And the thing simply shot lights out. 100 yards, 150 yard ram, 200 meter gong, and my 410 yard swinger were ALL tagged with dead center first shot hits. I swear I don't have another rifle that will do any better, and most won't do as well without some drama involved. The wife was watching the hits through a pair of 10x42 binoculars, and when she said the hit at 410 was a pinwheel I realized that I have been neglecting an over the top hunting rifle for years. Bottom line is, I am going to use this 40-65 a LOT more in the future. This thing is so pleasant and so much fun to shoot, and the accuracy is so good that I would be foolish not to use it. It's almost like having a brand new rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I ever get around to ordering an 1877, think I may just go for a .38-55 or a .40-65. Seems like the lighter rifle compliments the lesser cartridges.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
This whole 40 caliber weekend got me to thinking. I have a Pedersoli Sharps in 40-65 that has been ignored for well over ten years. It was my wife's old silhouette rifle. I dusted it off and rounded up a few paper patch rounds and a dozen or so 400 grain greasers and went to the range. And the thing simply shot lights out. 100 yards, 150 yard ram, 200 meter gong, and my 410 yard swinger were ALL tagged with dead center first shot hits. I swear I don't have another rifle that will do any better, and most won't do as well without some drama involved. The wife was watching the hits through a pair of 10x42 binoculars, and when she said the hit at 410 was a pinwheel I realized that I have been neglecting an over the top hunting rifle for years. Bottom line is, I am going to use this 40-65 a LOT more in the future. This thing is so pleasant and so much fun to shoot, and the accuracy is so good that I would be foolish not to use it. It's almost like having a brand new rifle.

LOL, that's what I'm talking about, 40 cal and near or over 400 grains are badass little meat and bone punches Sharpsguy, I'm going to use my 40 on a Bison, I'll make a handsome bet with anyone I wont find a bullet either. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
If I ever get around to ordering an 1877, think I may just go for a .38-55 or a .40-65. Seems like the lighter rifle compliments the lesser cartridges.

Don't have any '77 experience Tex, but, were I on the lookout for another 40-65, it would be for none other than an excellent 1886...................can you spell SWEET? grin

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I picked mine up today!
A good two years of waiting and wanting just came to an end. Now it looks like I have another belt to make!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a 45-90 I'd love to poke and elk with. Tough waiting for a Sharps, but damned well worth it.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/28/16.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just saw this thread gunner. Good deal!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by htredneck
I picked mine up today!
A good two years of waiting and wanting just came to an end. Now it looks like I have another belt to make!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a longer scabbardgrin, congrats HTRN, that rifle will be a blast to shoot, work up loads for and hunt with.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Just saw this thread gunner. Good deal!

Thanks Ingwe, sure was fun hunting with the little 40.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by htredneck
I picked mine up today!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a longer scabbardgrin, congrats HTRN, that rifle will be a blast to shoot, work up loads for and hunt with.

LOL - that scabbard was just to keep it off the floor. It actually fits a scoped rifle and my buddy wants me to sell it for him.

I am actively looking for components, dies and molds to do just that! Any suggestions for loads would be welcome, as well as any leads for stuff that can be had at reasonable prices!

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.