Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I hunted my tail off in South West Arkansas over the last day in a half, hunting was brutally thick, the sawbriars didn't disappoint.

I was fortunate enough to level the sights of my new Shiloh 40-65 on three deer, three shots, then three rode home with me.

Deer #1, Doe, 88 yards, clean broadside double shoulder shot, DRT, complete penetration.

Deer #2, Doe, 30 yards, extremely hard quartering away shot, raked and penetrated ribcage on left side, bullet exited right front center shoulder, 30 yard death run, complete penetration.

Deer #3, 5pt buck, 105 yards, full front on chest with a slight leftward front cant, bullet entered left center chest and exited right ham, DRT, complete penetration.

I had a damn blast and was blessed to have this hunt. smile

Bullet was a 416 gr Lyman flat nosed greaser at 1285 fps with KIK 3F Holy Black.

With over 4 feet of penetration on this buck, I'd gladly point this rifle at a Bison with complete confidence.

Trump Won!
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Congrats on the Arkansas hunting success!
I have a Winchester High Wall coming in 40-65 and have been wondering for the past two days about the question you just answered! That being does the 40-65 have what it takes for a bison...

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks HTRN, I believe wholeheartedly it will take Bison with aplomb, I have long known about the effectiveness of 40 cal and 400 grains in smokeless rifles, glad to see it bodes well in the 40 cal Sharps too.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a friend that says bullets cast using 25:1 and a 410655 mold come in at 410 grains, and that is all he uses with his 40-70 straight sharps. He has taken three elk with it, one that was at 350 yards and he got full penetration.

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats!

We're trying to sleep here?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by htredneck
I have a friend that says bullets cast using 25:1 and a 410655 mold come in at 410 grains, and that is all he uses with his 40-70 straight sharps. He has taken three elk with it, one that was at 350 yards and he got full penetration.

Fantastic news HTRN, in my humble and amateurish opinion, an elk is every bit a tough as a Bison, I've noticed a Bison is kinda built like a flounder, very large and expansive, but not to terrible thick across.

A Cape Buff on the other hand is built like a damn tank, THOSE sombucks are indeed very tough, thick and hardy.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Congrats!

We're trying to sleep here?

Thank You Dan, and yes, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, back to sleep ;]

We'll all awaken soon for a good spell, it's deer season, time to stock freezers.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just got back from a weekend deer hunt on a friend's ranch in west Texas. Both my host and Gunner wanted me to shoot my 40-70 Sharps as I had never taken an animal with a 40 caliber rifle. I was able to get a shot at a decent 10 point buck at 131 yards, and the 40-70 put a 385 grain round nosed paper patched bullet through and through the buck on a high shoulder shot. 69 grains of KIK 2f pushed the bullet to 1285 fps, and I was frankly surprised at how loud the sound of the bullet hitting the deer was. The deer went down RIGHT NOW, and if I had reservations about using the 40-70 or the 40-65 on game prior to this, I will tell you that the forty caliber rifles with the right bullet will definitely get the job done.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't ever doubt the lethal of nature of big chunks of lead at pedestrian velocities. Ask the buffalo. Ask the chief looking down on Billy Dixon. Ask the survivors of the Northern War of Aggression.

First time this was so glaringly apparent to me involved a hog that moved about 12" after the shot....vertically. Second was an armadillo that disappeared in a cloud of chunks and spray. I believe.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The same guy has a Shiloh Roughrider in 45-90 with the half octagon - half round barrel that I have been lusting after for almost as long as I have a Hiagh Wall. Once the High Wall is in my hands next week and I realize it is no longer a dream, a Shiloh is next on the list.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats on your successful hunt.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That's cool Gunner! Well done. Sounds like lot o' meat for the larder!!!

Congrats!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great !!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
I hunted my tail off in South West Arkansas over the last day in a half, hunting was brutally thick, the sawbriars didn't disappoint.

I was fortunate enough to level the sights of my new Shiloh 40-65 on three deer, three shots, then three rode home with me.

Deer #1, Doe, 88 yards, clean broadside double shoulder shot, DRT, complete penetration.

Deer #2, Doe, 30 yards, extremely hard quartering away shot, raked and penetrated ribcage on left side, bullet exited right front center shoulder, 30 yard death run, complete penetration.

Deer #3, 5pt buck, 105 yards, full front on chest with a slight leftward front cant, bullet entered left center chest and exited right ham, DRT, complete penetration.

Bullet was a 416 gr Lyman flat nosed greaser at 1285 fps with KIK 3F Holy Black.

With over 4 feet of penetration on this buck, I'd gladly point this rifle at a Bison with complete confidence.

You suck.

wink

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

You suck.

wink

grinToldja! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
[Linked Image]
Huh what was that noise? did I hear a shot?? smile
Hey Gunner I asked for blood and I see you did well!! Very good.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Don't cut the .40-65 short for Bison. I know a feller that had a Bison hunting ranch and he had a cow fence jumper. He took his .40-65 and dropped her with one shot on the spot.

Last edited by Kurt71; 11/15/16.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I just got back from a weekend deer hunt on a friend's ranch in west Texas. Both my host and Gunner wanted me to shoot my 40-70 Sharps as I had never taken an animal with a 40 caliber rifle. I was able to get a shot at a decent 10 point buck at 131 yards, and the 40-70 put a 385 grain round nosed paper patched bullet through and through the buck on a high shoulder shot. 69 grains of KIK 2f pushed the bullet to 1285 fps, and I was frankly surprised at how loud the sound of the bullet hitting the deer was. The deer went down RIGHT NOW, and if I had reservations about using the 40-70 or the 40-65 on game prior to this, I will tell you that the forty caliber rifles with the right bullet will definitely get the job done.

Good dooins!!
Hey do you remember what I said about the 403169 ????????:)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Glad yo bled your 40 too Sharpsguy, and bleeding it on a nice 10 point is even better, can't wait to see the mount of your buck.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Don't ever doubt the lethal of nature of big chunks of lead at pedestrian velocities. Ask the buffalo. Ask the chief looking down on Billy Dixon. Ask the survivors of the Northern War of Aggression.

First time this was so glaringly apparent to me involved a hog that moved about 12" after the shot....vertically. Second was an armadillo that disappeared in a cloud of chunks and spray. I believe.....

I'm learning DD, and I'm a BELIEVER too.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
HTRN, you'll curse the day you start messing with a Sharps. cry........nothing like em though buddy.

Thanks EE and WCH, it was my pleasure.

And hell yeah KW, that's four down so far this year, all with black powder, lead and iron sights too. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Originally Posted by 4ager

You suck.

wink

grinToldja! grin

LOL, Thanks 4ager, and BWAHAHAHA Big Jim. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Kurt71
[Linked Image]
Huh what was that noise? did I hear a shot?? smile
Hey Gunner I asked for blood and I see you did well!! Very good.

You bet, there's your blood Kurt, that little 416 gr flat nosed greaser is a missile buddy, I sent ET and Sharpsguy a pic of the deer stacked up like cord wood, the little Shiloh and a 45 cal. single action revolver was in the pic too.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gosh darn, I just now remembered that a local 100 yard range is open at night. I might actually get something loaded & tested for this weekend - besides a boring 7mm-08. smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
gosh darn, I just now remembered that a local 100 yard range is open at night. I might actually get something loaded & tested for this weekend - besides a boring 7mm-08. smirk

Yes, forget that smokeless for awhile Tex, get it on with your Sharps buddy, that being said, a damn pre-64 243 FWT rifle fell in my lap yesterday. shocked

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Kurt71
Don't cut the .40-65 short for Bison. I know a feller that had a Bison hunting ranch and he had a cow fence jumper. He took his .40-65 and dropped her with one shot on the spot.

That's great news Kurt, I'll see how this 40 of mine will do one day soon, I don't believe I'll be disappointed.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kurt, I had a half dozen rounds loaded with the 403169 in my cartridge belt, but didn't use them. They are not as accurate as the 385 grain paper patched load in my rifle, so I went with the the most accurate load.

Gunner, I'm having the buck mounted, and I AM proud of him, but a pretty mount he ain't gonna be. He had been fighting, and had two tines broken off his left side and one off his right side. Kinda ugly, but he is proof positive that a 40 caliber Sharps and paper patched bullets do hit with authority. I think that 40-65 of yours proved to be every bit the equal of this 40-70 and doesn't give up anything to it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Amazing how a high shoulder shot knocks em down isn't it. It hits and or shocks the spine. Even with my tiny 300/221 and 900 fps bullets.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Kurt, I had a half dozen rounds loaded with the 403169 in my cartridge belt, but didn't use them. They are not as accurate as the 385 grain paper patched load in my rifle, so I went with the the most accurate load.

Gunner, I'm having the buck mounted, and I AM proud of him, but a pretty mount he ain't gonna be. He had been fighting, and had two tines broken off his left side and one off his right side. Kinda ugly, but he is proof positive that a 40 caliber Sharps and paper patched bullets do hit with authority. I think that 40-65 of yours proved to be every bit the equal of this 40-70 and doesn't give up anything to it.

I'll take a big ole beat up bruiser buck any day over a virgin pretty boy buck, your buck was out fighting, breaking horn tips and getting laid before he ran into you and that 40 Sharps. cool

What a way to go.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This whole 40 caliber weekend got me to thinking. I have a Pedersoli Sharps in 40-65 that has been ignored for well over ten years. It was my wife's old silhouette rifle. I dusted it off and rounded up a few paper patch rounds and a dozen or so 400 grain greasers and went to the range. And the thing simply shot lights out. 100 yards, 150 yard ram, 200 meter gong, and my 410 yard swinger were ALL tagged with dead center first shot hits. I swear I don't have another rifle that will do any better, and most won't do as well without some drama involved. The wife was watching the hits through a pair of 10x42 binoculars, and when she said the hit at 410 was a pinwheel I realized that I have been neglecting an over the top hunting rifle for years. Bottom line is, I am going to use this 40-65 a LOT more in the future. This thing is so pleasant and so much fun to shoot, and the accuracy is so good that I would be foolish not to use it. It's almost like having a brand new rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I ever get around to ordering an 1877, think I may just go for a .38-55 or a .40-65. Seems like the lighter rifle compliments the lesser cartridges.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
This whole 40 caliber weekend got me to thinking. I have a Pedersoli Sharps in 40-65 that has been ignored for well over ten years. It was my wife's old silhouette rifle. I dusted it off and rounded up a few paper patch rounds and a dozen or so 400 grain greasers and went to the range. And the thing simply shot lights out. 100 yards, 150 yard ram, 200 meter gong, and my 410 yard swinger were ALL tagged with dead center first shot hits. I swear I don't have another rifle that will do any better, and most won't do as well without some drama involved. The wife was watching the hits through a pair of 10x42 binoculars, and when she said the hit at 410 was a pinwheel I realized that I have been neglecting an over the top hunting rifle for years. Bottom line is, I am going to use this 40-65 a LOT more in the future. This thing is so pleasant and so much fun to shoot, and the accuracy is so good that I would be foolish not to use it. It's almost like having a brand new rifle.

LOL, that's what I'm talking about, 40 cal and near or over 400 grains are badass little meat and bone punches Sharpsguy, I'm going to use my 40 on a Bison, I'll make a handsome bet with anyone I wont find a bullet either. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If I ever get around to ordering an 1877, think I may just go for a .38-55 or a .40-65. Seems like the lighter rifle compliments the lesser cartridges.

Don't have any '77 experience Tex, but, were I on the lookout for another 40-65, it would be for none other than an excellent 1886...................can you spell SWEET? grin

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I picked mine up today!
A good two years of waiting and wanting just came to an end. Now it looks like I have another belt to make!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a 45-90 I'd love to poke and elk with. Tough waiting for a Sharps, but damned well worth it.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/28/16.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just saw this thread gunner. Good deal!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I picked mine up today!
A good two years of waiting and wanting just came to an end. Now it looks like I have another belt to make!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a longer scabbardgrin, congrats HTRN, that rifle will be a blast to shoot, work up loads for and hunt with.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Just saw this thread gunner. Good deal!

Thanks Ingwe, sure was fun hunting with the little 40.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I picked mine up today!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a longer scabbardgrin, congrats HTRN, that rifle will be a blast to shoot, work up loads for and hunt with.

LOL - that scabbard was just to keep it off the floor. It actually fits a scoped rifle and my buddy wants me to sell it for him.

I am actively looking for components, dies and molds to do just that! Any suggestions for loads would be welcome, as well as any leads for stuff that can be had at reasonable prices!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cast you some Lyman snover bullets from 20-1 seat those over a .030 fiber wad, and 60 gr. of Olde Eynsford 2f. Prime the cases with rp 9 1/2 primers.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Nice looking rifle, seems very practical. and the knife is???? smile

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had the knife custom made about 10 years ago. A fellow by the name of Scott Black in Mississippi under the name Copperhead Forge.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Cast you some Lyman snover bullets from 20-1 seat those over a .030 fiber wad, and 60 gr. of Olde Eynsford 2f. Prime the cases with rp 9 1/2 primers.

So far I have everything but the molds and I am actively looking for those...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't have any '77 experience Tex, but, were I on the lookout for another 40-65, it would be for none other than an excellent 1886...................can you spell SWEET? grin

Yeah, always have liked the 1886's/M71's But nice ones have always been more than I wanted to spend. How hard to disassemble are the 1886 actions - as far as making sure they are free of BP residue?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Still no flies ...after all these years. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a model 1886 45-70 that had obviously been bored out from the original 40-82. In a fit of stupidity, not uncommon to me, I traded it off. Years later, I had a chance at it again, but some [bleep] had redone the stock and reblued it, etc. It didn't even need it. It was overpriced and I passed. It was a good shootin' gun.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Yeah, always have liked the 1886's/M71's But nice ones have always been more than I wanted to spend. How hard to disassemble are the 1886 actions - as far as making sure they are free of BP residue?

Tex, I bought a 1892 year model '86 Winchester in 45-70, it has the blackpowder chamber, leade and twist, I couldn't detect any blackpowder residue in it's workings, never had cause or the talent to dissassemble the action.

That being said, 500 gr Jerry Dean flat nosed greasers at 1237 fps are loaded to such pressure that the brass is only a bit dirty at the case mouth, I have no reason to believe, or haven't even seen any appreciable amount of fouling in the chamber, much less blowing back and down into the action workings.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I picked mine up today!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL - that scabbard was just to keep it off the floor. It actually fits a scoped rifle and my buddy wants me to sell it for him.

I am actively looking for components, dies and molds to do just that! Any suggestions for loads would be welcome, as well as any leads for stuff that can be had at reasonable prices!

Yes, I'd take that tang sight off and get a Smith Enterprises barrel sight from Buffalo Arms, Lyman makes a mould for their 400/415 gr flat nosed grease groove gullet, sorry I don't know the mould number but it's the same bullet I killed the three deer with in my 40-65.

Some 40 cal fiber wads from BA and some Schutzen or Swiss blackpowder in 2 or 3 FG, also have a 40 cal powder compression die in your die box, I'll handily kill my next Bison with my 40.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
htredneck--The bullet molds you are looking for are the Lyman 410655 and the Lyman 403169. The 410655 is a 415 grain flatnosed bullet and the 403169 weighs 248 grains and is also a flatnose. Your smokeless load is 29 grains of 3031 and your black powder load is 60 grains of either 2f or 3f with either bullet. The little bullet is a stone cold killer, going 1498 with 2f black, and will shoot completely through a 5 inch diameter sweet gum tree at 50 yards. Recoil with this bullet and black is about like a Benjamin pump, and a deer or hog won't hold the bullet inside of 200 yards.

Enjoy your rifle.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 12/03/16.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I didn't think about the Smith Sights...good call! I was going to replace the peep with an MVA mid-range but I might actually like that option better. Thanks!

I have the 410655 mold, and a Saeco 740 is on the way. Still have to find the 403169 and the Saeco 640. RCBS apaprently makes a pretty good one as well. Since dies are kind of like ice cream flavors at Baskin Robbins, I wanted to slug the bore to see what it actually measured so I tossed a handful of round balls in the furnance and cast a few pure lead bullets using the 655 mold. Every one dropped at a solid 412.7 or 412.8 grains.

Using one of those bullets, the bore slugs at .408, and OAL should be 2.85 with the rifling engaged. The barrel is an 18" twist so I shouldn't have any problems with any of those weights. Now if the components would just get here so I can find out!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Get the Smith sight. If you are going to hunt, you will be making a serious mistake if you overlook the 403169. Your 18 twist will really make it come alive. The Saeco 740 and the 640 both fall far short of either of the Lyman flatnosed bullets for hunting. I have and have shot each of these different bullets, and you will be TIME and money ahead to get the two Lyman molds and forget the rest if you plan to hunt.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I plan on getting the 403169, I am just waiting and hoping to find one used instead of buying a new one somewhere. There is a gunshow next weekend I am going to check first if I don't find one anywhere else. If those fail to pan out, I will part with the cash for a new one.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Get the Smith sight. If you are going to hunt, you will be making a serious mistake if you overlook the 403169. Your 18 twist will really make it come alive. The Saeco 740 and the 640 both fall far short of either of the Lyman flatnosed bullets for hunting. I have and have shot each of these different bullets, and you will be TIME and money ahead to get the two Lyman molds and forget the rest if you plan to hunt.

HTRN, as Sharpsguy says, the Smith sight is a wonder onto itself, I mounted one on my '86 Turnbull 50-110 WCF, it fires a 680 gr flat nosed greaser at, IIRC 1240 fps with blackpowder.

I brought the rifle to Sharpsguys place, he made me a copper penny front sight, then we headed to his range, I was busting steel animal silhouettes at 100, 150 and even a gong at 200 yards right off the bat, no way in hell I could shoot a lever action like that without a bit of guidance from Sharpsguy and the Smith sight.

My rifle has the crescent steel butt plate, 40-60 rounds from a bench ain't happening, but, for a hunting rifle, it's readily adjustable to shoot and kill out to 200 yards post haste.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Come D&E [dark and early] Sat morn the little 40 and me will be back over in Ar ready to fill my last buck tag, somethings gonna get hammered, I can feel it. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hey Woody, my cell phones jacked worse than obongos foreign policy, got some kind of jumbled text from you.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good luck!
I got my dies today finally so I can make some ammo and get mine making noise soon!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good deal, you're gonna like that little boomer.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm starting to have a change in plans, fooled with my original '86 in 45-70 last night, it's probably gonna get the nod for this last hunt over in Arkansas.

I'm hunting a buck in extreme cover, shot will be very close if at all, so won't be needing the ranging capabilities of a Sharps, a 500 gr Jerry Dean flat nosed greaser at 1236 fps powered by 3F KIK black powder wont be recovered either. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
, a 500 gr Jerry Dean flat nosed greaser at 1236 fps powered by 3F KIK black powder wont be recovered either. cool

My God Man! Thats exceeding the speed of sound! shocked

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, you bet, they'll not jump the bowstring on this set-up ;]

This load is still carrying the mail at 800+ fps at 1000 yards, my 300 mags lose nearly three times that much speed in half the distance, funny ain't it? grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
DANG, hunted my tail off, seen five doe, no bucks, 26-41 degrees with variable winds that gusted to near 20 that never settled under 9mph, brrrrrrrrrrrr.

Had a damn blast chasing them though, brought my wind burnt worn out ass home last night for some proper comfort maintenance from the little Wifey, a big damn bowl of Bison stew and corbread with hot coffee did the trick.

I'll find a buck for that last remaining Ar. tag next time.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (338reddog, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.