Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
We resighted our rifles using the Hornady's 250 SST's. They are more accurate than the Powerbelts, at least in our rifles.
I cut apart one of the PB and Hornadys. The PB is all lead with a thin copper covering. The Hornady has a nice jacket that increases in thickness as it gets closer to the base. It should be a more durable bullet. Hopefully we will get another chance this year.

The 250 sst has about as good a record as powerbelts. Especially when it comes to expansion and blood trails!

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bigblock455
We resighted our rifles using the Hornady's 250 SST's. They are more accurate than the Powerbelts, at least in our rifles.
I cut apart one of the PB and Hornadys. The PB is all lead with a thin copper covering. The Hornady has a nice jacket that increases in thickness as it gets closer to the base. It should be a more durable bullet. Hopefully we will get another chance this year.

The 250 sst has about as good a record as powerbelts. Especially when it comes to expansion and blood trails!

Time will tell. 71 shooters on Midways web site reviewed it. It earned 4.9 out of 5 stars.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used 250 gr SST out of an ENCORE for years . They shoot well and kill even better. Complete pass through on most deer and great blood trails. Good luck with the rest of the season.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bigblock455
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Best ones you can use are the 250 & 300gr aerolites

245gr conical is puny for a .50cal. Add in soft lead, huge hollow point. mmm mmm

Dont use a 245gr but a 250gr with a larger hollow point is ok. If you think 5gr is gunna make 2 chits worth of difference you are dreaming.

What a bunch of crap. Does CVA still send you free stuff to push this line of bull?

Its not just a 5 grain difference but a completely different bullet design. The aerolite is meant to leave a large massive hole in an animal. Its more streamlined and is a longer bullet. The olkd aerotips are very short and stubby.

This was either 100 or 110gr blackhorn209 on an 80 yard shoulder shot on a buck when i first tried out the Aerolites. 250gr version. Entrance hole.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Easy to follow blood trail,
[Linked Image]

I have plenty of pictures of the 300gr aerolite in action on deer and elk, but I wont even bother posting that as it won't do any good for some folks wink
Another round ball made of powerbelts/no excuses that i used on a 175-200lb hog back in march. Soft lead, expands very easily, without a hollow point.
[Linked Image]

Do you actually read what you post? I know damn well what the difference is and a larger hp does not make a soft lead 250gr 50cal bullet better than a 245gr bullet.

Its makes it worse. You even said a large hp and soft lead is bad. Here let me post what you said again.

245gr conical is puny for a .50cal. Add in soft lead, huge hollow point. mmm mmm

Im not buying your snake oil salemans BS. 5gr more and a larger hp is a total joke for a puny 50cal bullet. Combine that with they cost more than a Barnes or Thor and its down right shameful you would even suggest its a good bullet.

Its no wonder the PB section on your board has been dead for over a year. Your members are not buying into it either.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Snowwolfe

What you need to understand is Bigblocks opinion has been bought and paid for. He got tons of free stuff from CVA, Traditions, Thor and he is a pro staff member on the WHC which is also heavily sponsored by CVA. The BPI corporate collective is its primary sponsor.

His own forum was/is sponsored by CVA and Traditions.

Listening to him talk about a PB would be like listening to Wakeman hype a Savage or Remington Ultimate. Both of their opinions have the exact same motivation.......Free Stuff

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I dont get paid a dime and I pay for my own rifles LOL.

I offered pics and videos of the bullets in use, not sure how you can say thats not enough proof lol.

I offer my side of the powerbelt, if you dont like it, thats fine. I've shot a ton of them before going back to a simple round ball and sidelock.

WHC prostaff is dead. I asked to be removed from that site. Never got an email back but thats how the place is run.

Already had this chat with 2muchgun last month LOL.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Flip flop much?
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8146046/3

Yes you did get plenty of free and greatly reduced priced stuff from CVA and Traditions. Then you turned around and sold a lot of that stuff. You even admitted it on Huntingnet. You sold a freebie rifle to Muley. Thats called a profit in case you failed basic economics class. Traditions sent you no less than one free newer inline for review work.I know for a fact you got lots of free PBs and sold many of them on forums.

So oh yes you got paid alright. Just like Randy and Toby get paid....with free stuff.

How fast you forget what you post. Maybe if you were not hyping products from sponsors on countless forums you would remember all the crap you spewed out over the years.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I sold a probably half a dozen packs of powerbelts very cheaply lol. They are hard to sell on the forums.

All powder, ammo, caps, flints, clothing, boots, rifles, pistols. I pay for.

I wish I did have some good paying sponsors, but companies are cheap and its like pulling teeth to get them to pay up.

damn, it looks like i need to start keeping receipts! lmao

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I will formulate my own opinion after shooting at least 2 deer with the Hornadys. And that might not be till next year as our ML season ends Friday.
One thing for certain, I will NEVER use another Powerbelt bullet.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This is the same story as all the guys shooting C&C bullets out of magnum centerfire rifles and then complaining the bullets don't hold together.

You are using a bullet that was designed to preform at modest velocities and over driving it velocity wise. Of course it is going to over expand or come apart.

If you want to push bullets from a ML in the 1800-2000fps realm,then buy tougher bullets.This isn't rocket science.

The whole concept of using muzzle loaders was intended to be a primitive season using lead bullets that were typically used 100 years ago or so. Now shooters are complaining that those type of bullets don't preform well in the newer inlines designed for mangnum loads.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/16/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
This is the same story as all the guys shooting C&C bullets out of magnum centerfire rifles and then complaining the bullets don't hold together.

You are using a bullet that was designed to preform at modest velocities and over driving it velocity wise. Of course it is going to over expand or come apart.

If you want to push bullets from a ML in the 1800-2000fps realm,then buy tougher bullets.This isn't rocket science.

The whole concept of using muzzle loaders was intended to be a primitive season using lead bullets that were typically used 100 years ago or so. Now shooters are complaining that those type of bullets don't preform well in the newer inlines designed for mangnum loads.

No [bleep] dude, Already posted I didn't investigate my choice enough. I thought they were similar to Barnes and didn't realize it was a copper coated lead ball. How many times do I need to say it was my fault for picking them in the first place?
We are new to ML hunting and these were our first two deer killed using an inline.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are on the right track. Barnes for the inline, and maxi balls for the caplock. My opinion only. Several deer with both. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Barnes. But planning on trying these and purchasing some sabots separately. They are cheaper to buy that way, and they are tougher bullets with thicker jackets than the SSTs. Win/win.

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.452-250-gr-FTX-for-450-Bushmaster/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yeah, forgot to add:

Powerbelts SUCK laugh

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I like Barnes. But planning on trying these and purchasing some sabots separately. They are cheaper to buy that way, and they are tougher bullets with thicker jackets than the SSTs. Win/win.

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.452-250-gr-FTX-for-450-Bushmaster/

Cross section a 250gr SST and FTX...You wont find a difference in jacket thickness. Call Hornady and ask them. The only difference was the tip. The SST used to have a harder tip than the FTX.

Im nearly certain they are identical bullets now. The Shockwave ive heard still uses the harder old style tip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard the same thing. Then was told by Hornady jacket was thicker. I only have the linked bullets here, no SSTs. I also just shot a 190ish pound 10pt with said bullet and it never took a step. But that was due to shot placement..........

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Checkout the Bushmaster forums. I think i saw a guy there that cut them open for comparison. Its possible something has changed but when i called Hornady i was told they are the same bullet.

I know recently Hornady made a special run of XTP MAGs for TC. They are 250gr instead of 240gr. Ive seen them and they are the MAG style for sure.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
-
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Oh yeah, forgot to add:

Powerbelts SUCK laugh

I've heard that some people have trouble killing stuff with them.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i take all of the 295 copper powerbelts that you have. the 6 of us that have hunted with them sense the day they came out have killed a few hundred beer and around 20 bear. 90-100 grns of powder is all we shoot.shot one yesterday that dropped within 40yds. i can tell you how to make a hollow point stay together and penetrate better. shove a .177 lead pellet in the hole. it changes the bullet.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.