Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Wife shot a decent 6 point on Saturday. Bullet was the 245 PB. Shot was about 30 yards broadside. Deer ran about 30 yards and fell dead. Shrapnel all through the heart. Nothing on the other side of the heart. No branches were hit. .50 cal TC with 53 grains of Blackhorn (by weight)

Today I shot a deer with the same bullets. 25 yard shot with zero chance of hitting a branch. Deer took off acting like it wasn't hit. After searching for 45 minutes found a small tuft of hair then worked my way out to the direction the deer ran. Found a drop of blood, then another, then slowly more. Finally a dead deer 60 yards away. Bullet hit the right side and blew up the right lung. Bullet completely exploded and biggest piece found was about 20 grains. Left lung and heart were untouched. .50 cal CVA with 70 grains weight Blackhorn.

There ain't going to be a strike 3. Next year it will be my choice of Hornady bullet with a sabot or a Barnes. Less than 6 inches penetration with any piece of the shrapnel

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've been shooting Power Belts for about 15 years. I shoot 295gr hollow points with three 777 50/50 pellets. I get a pass through about 50% of the time. If not, I generally find it under the skin on the opposite side. I'm not going to tell you that I've never lost any deer, because I have, but it's rare. Generally they'll run, but no more than 100 yard.

This is a bullet I took out of a spike a couple of weeks ago. Got a high shoulder shot and folded him up like a wet rag. He never even took a step.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PB bullets are junk. Been saying it all along. I use Barnes now and they are worlds better. Not even in the same league, nor close.

I just may try some .452 Hornady 250 grain FTX in a sabot some time. Only because I load them in my 450 Bushmaster and have a nice supply on hand. But you can't go wrong with Barnes IMO.......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If the Powerbelt is the lead version - of any size but 405gr, they are not to be used by me.

I mostly use the copper-clad HPs 295s and 348s..... sometimes the 300gr Powerbelt Platinums. But I won't buy them unless they are dirt cheap..... on closeout at Walmart every early/mid December.

My other inline uses the 300gr Hornady XTP in 44-cal.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I been killing deer for almost 50 years and have NEVER seen a bullet fragment like the last two have. Some would argue the deer died so they worked. But we thank our lucky stars we were able to recover the deer. Lesson learned.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
PB's are the sorriest muzzle loader bullets you can buy and use

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
PB's are the sorriest muzzle loader bullets you can buy and use

Without question.....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have killed quite a few elk with them with great results. However,this year having a new inline,I tried BH209 and bullets I dug out an elk and a deer look about like the photo. The deer was with a 295 gr PB and the elk with 348gr. Ones I have killed with black powder, performed like textbook mushrooms that are advertised.

Got to admit the deer I killed was very poor shot placement on my part,but it only went about 30 yards.The elk went about 20 yards.
Some one posted on here awhile back that the Aerotip PB, are meant to expand more than std hollow poitns. Next year,I will remove the plastic tip. The hollow point under it is identical to std hollow points.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are nothing but plated lead conicals......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm. I've never lost a deer or elk with .54cal 348gr PBs. Deer have all been pass throughs and elk have been mostly pass throughs but all had great blood trails. I do tend to be picky with shots and make sure I avoid the front shoulder.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
good lord, this again? lmao. You'd think after all the posts made and the help ive offered, it would be easy to not choose the 245gr powerbelt.

Best ones you can use are the 250 & 300gr aerolites, for heavier boned animals, you'll switch to the platinum series. I really like the 338gr.

245gr conical is puny for a .50cal. Add in soft lead, huge hollow point. mmm mmm

.530" round ball * cast from powerbelts and no excuses conicals* Shot was around 50-60 yards.
[Linked Image]

Soft lead EXPANDS.

do anybody use round balls like I do=never missed a shot yet but then again I wont shoot unless I have a head shot instant kill--the ball can stay in the head don't eat that part lol

its better to have it than not have it
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bigblock455
good lord, this again? lmao. You'd think after all the posts made and the help ive offered, it would be easy to not choose the 245gr powerbelt.

Guilty as charged. This is the first two deer the wife and I shot with muzzle loaders. Should of did some research. When I first picked up a pack thought, copper, similar to a Barnes. Buy the lighter weight because it may need more velocity to open up. Boy was I wrong, lol.
We only have 3 days left in our ML season. Today will visit a couple of stores and try to find some Barnes.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Best ones you can use are the 250 & 300gr aerolites

245gr conical is puny for a .50cal. Add in soft lead, huge hollow point. mmm mmm

Dont use a 245gr but a 250gr with a larger hollow point is ok. If you think 5gr is gunna make 2 chits worth of difference you are dreaming.

What a bunch of crap. Does CVA still send you free stuff to push this line of bull?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by marlas1too
do anybody use round balls like I do=never missed a shot yet but then again I wont shoot unless I have a head shot instant kill--the ball can stay in the head don't eat that part lol

Oh, look... a new retard.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Powerbelts have remained one of the top-3 selling ML projectiles, for like the last 25 years. The bullet benefits from not being pushed hard. I used 80 grains Goex FFF recently. That's my maximum charge - for my maximum distances are 150 yards.

Powerbelts would not keep/ maintain annually, that high retail sales rating across the USA, if they didn't do the job most-all times, when not pushed too hard or too lightly. For instance: They are not a bullet for magnum charges between 120-150 grains. They are not a bullet for 90+ grains volume charges of Blackhorn 209.

Again, don't use below 295 grains copper-clad. Don't use lead versions unless they are 405s on elk, 345 on deer. Any sized Platinum is a good bullet....ie.... 270/300/338. I have no experience using the Aerolites, but I trust poster BigBlock's advice on them.

What bullets am I taking to the woods tomorrow...... roundballs, Hornady XTP 300 in 44-cal for my Omega and Precision QT Polymer Tip 50/40 in 185 grain, which I will continue experimenting with in my 1:66 twist roundball gun. I'll reserve my 295gr Copper HP Powerbelts for muzzleloader season in December.

Everything I write about Powerbelts are only my opinion..... what I've experienced.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 11/15/16.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Local store didn't carry Barnes so picked up some Hornady 250 gr SST's. Maybe we will get lucky to shoot another deer with these before the ML season ends Friday evening. Will test fire them later today and see how accurate they are.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
Powerbelts have remained one of the top-3 selling ML projectiles, for like the last 25 years. The bullet benefits from not being pushed hard. I used 80 grains Goex FFF recently. That's my maximum charge - for my maximum distances are 150 yards.

Powerbelts would not keep/ maintain annually, that high retail sales rating across the USA, if they didn't do the job most-all times, when not pushed too hard or too lightly. For instance: They are not a bullet for magnum charges between 120-150 grains. They are not a bullet for 90+ grains volume charges of Blackhorn 209.

Again, don't use below 295 grains copper-clad. Don't use lead versions unless they are 405s on elk, 345 on deer. Any sized Platinum is a good bullet....ie.... 270/300/338. I have no experience using the Aerolites, but I trust poster BigBlock's advice on them.

What bullets am I taking to the woods tomorrow...... roundballs, Hornady XTP 300 in 44-cal for my Omega and Precision QT Polymer Tip 50/40 in 185 grain, which I will continue experimenting with in my 1:66 twist roundball gun. I'll reserve my 295gr Copper HP Powerbelts for muzzleloader season in December.

Everything I write about Powerbelts are only my opinion..... what I've experienced.

I think I've killed 10 elk with 348s. None got away.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
We resighted our rifles using the Hornady's 250 SST's. They are more accurate than the Powerbelts, at least in our rifles.
I cut apart one of the PB and Hornadys. The PB is all lead with a thin copper covering. The Hornady has a nice jacket that increases in thickness as it gets closer to the base. It should be a more durable bullet. Hopefully we will get another chance this year.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Overkill45

Dont use a 245gr but a 250gr with a larger hollow point is ok. If you think 5gr is gunna make 2 chits worth of difference you are dreaming.

What a bunch of crap. Does CVA still send you free stuff to push this line of bull?

Its not just a 5 grain difference but a completely different bullet design. The aerolite is meant to leave a large massive hole in an animal. Its more streamlined and is a longer bullet. The olkd aerotips are very short and stubby.

This was either 100 or 110gr blackhorn209 on an 80 yard shoulder shot on a buck when i first tried out the Aerolites. 250gr version. Entrance hole.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Easy to follow blood trail,
[Linked Image]

I have plenty of pictures of the 300gr aerolite in action on deer and elk, but I wont even bother posting that as it won't do any good for some folks wink
Another round ball made of powerbelts/no excuses that i used on a 175-200lb hog back in march. Soft lead, expands very easily, without a hollow point.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
We resighted our rifles using the Hornady's 250 SST's. They are more accurate than the Powerbelts, at least in our rifles.
I cut apart one of the PB and Hornadys. The PB is all lead with a thin copper covering. The Hornady has a nice jacket that increases in thickness as it gets closer to the base. It should be a more durable bullet. Hopefully we will get another chance this year.

The 250 sst has about as good a record as powerbelts. Especially when it comes to expansion and blood trails!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

The 250 sst has about as good a record as powerbelts. Especially when it comes to expansion and blood trails!

Time will tell. 71 shooters on Midways web site reviewed it. It earned 4.9 out of 5 stars.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used 250 gr SST out of an ENCORE for years . They shoot well and kill even better. Complete pass through on most deer and great blood trails. Good luck with the rest of the season.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Its not just a 5 grain difference but a completely different bullet design. The aerolite is meant to leave a large massive hole in an animal. Its more streamlined and is a longer bullet. The olkd aerotips are very short and stubby.

This was either 100 or 110gr blackhorn209 on an 80 yard shoulder shot on a buck when i first tried out the Aerolites. 250gr version. Entrance hole.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Easy to follow blood trail,
[Linked Image]

I have plenty of pictures of the 300gr aerolite in action on deer and elk, but I wont even bother posting that as it won't do any good for some folks wink
Another round ball made of powerbelts/no excuses that i used on a 175-200lb hog back in march. Soft lead, expands very easily, without a hollow point.
[Linked Image]

Do you actually read what you post? I know damn well what the difference is and a larger hp does not make a soft lead 250gr 50cal bullet better than a 245gr bullet.

Its makes it worse. You even said a large hp and soft lead is bad. Here let me post what you said again.

Im not buying your snake oil salemans BS. 5gr more and a larger hp is a total joke for a puny 50cal bullet. Combine that with they cost more than a Barnes or Thor and its down right shameful you would even suggest its a good bullet.

Its no wonder the PB section on your board has been dead for over a year. Your members are not buying into it either.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Snowwolfe

What you need to understand is Bigblocks opinion has been bought and paid for. He got tons of free stuff from CVA, Traditions, Thor and he is a pro staff member on the WHC which is also heavily sponsored by CVA. The BPI corporate collective is its primary sponsor.

His own forum was/is sponsored by CVA and Traditions.

Listening to him talk about a PB would be like listening to Wakeman hype a Savage or Remington Ultimate. Both of their opinions have the exact same motivation.......Free Stuff

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I dont get paid a dime and I pay for my own rifles LOL.

I offered pics and videos of the bullets in use, not sure how you can say thats not enough proof lol.

I offer my side of the powerbelt, if you dont like it, thats fine. I've shot a ton of them before going back to a simple round ball and sidelock.

WHC prostaff is dead. I asked to be removed from that site. Never got an email back but thats how the place is run.

Already had this chat with 2muchgun last month LOL.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Flip flop much?
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8146046/3

Yes you did get plenty of free and greatly reduced priced stuff from CVA and Traditions. Then you turned around and sold a lot of that stuff. You even admitted it on Huntingnet. You sold a freebie rifle to Muley. Thats called a profit in case you failed basic economics class. Traditions sent you no less than one free newer inline for review work.I know for a fact you got lots of free PBs and sold many of them on forums.

So oh yes you got paid alright. Just like Randy and Toby get paid....with free stuff.

How fast you forget what you post. Maybe if you were not hyping products from sponsors on countless forums you would remember all the crap you spewed out over the years.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I sold a probably half a dozen packs of powerbelts very cheaply lol. They are hard to sell on the forums.

All powder, ammo, caps, flints, clothing, boots, rifles, pistols. I pay for.

I wish I did have some good paying sponsors, but companies are cheap and its like pulling teeth to get them to pay up.

damn, it looks like i need to start keeping receipts! lmao

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I will formulate my own opinion after shooting at least 2 deer with the Hornadys. And that might not be till next year as our ML season ends Friday.
One thing for certain, I will NEVER use another Powerbelt bullet.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This is the same story as all the guys shooting C&C bullets out of magnum centerfire rifles and then complaining the bullets don't hold together.

You are using a bullet that was designed to preform at modest velocities and over driving it velocity wise. Of course it is going to over expand or come apart.

If you want to push bullets from a ML in the 1800-2000fps realm,then buy tougher bullets.This isn't rocket science.

The whole concept of using muzzle loaders was intended to be a primitive season using lead bullets that were typically used 100 years ago or so. Now shooters are complaining that those type of bullets don't preform well in the newer inlines designed for mangnum loads.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/16/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
This is the same story as all the guys shooting C&C bullets out of magnum centerfire rifles and then complaining the bullets don't hold together.

You are using a bullet that was designed to preform at modest velocities and over driving it velocity wise. Of course it is going to over expand or come apart.

If you want to push bullets from a ML in the 1800-2000fps realm,then buy tougher bullets.This isn't rocket science.

The whole concept of using muzzle loaders was intended to be a primitive season using lead bullets that were typically used 100 years ago or so. Now shooters are complaining that those type of bullets don't preform well in the newer inlines designed for mangnum loads.

No [bleep] dude, Already posted I didn't investigate my choice enough. I thought they were similar to Barnes and didn't realize it was a copper coated lead ball. How many times do I need to say it was my fault for picking them in the first place?
We are new to ML hunting and these were our first two deer killed using an inline.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are on the right track. Barnes for the inline, and maxi balls for the caplock. My opinion only. Several deer with both. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Barnes. But planning on trying these and purchasing some sabots separately. They are cheaper to buy that way, and they are tougher bullets with thicker jackets than the SSTs. Win/win.

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.452-250-gr-FTX-for-450-Bushmaster/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yeah, forgot to add:

Powerbelts SUCK laugh

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I like Barnes. But planning on trying these and purchasing some sabots separately. They are cheaper to buy that way, and they are tougher bullets with thicker jackets than the SSTs. Win/win.

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.452-250-gr-FTX-for-450-Bushmaster/

Cross section a 250gr SST and FTX...You wont find a difference in jacket thickness. Call Hornady and ask them. The only difference was the tip. The SST used to have a harder tip than the FTX.

Im nearly certain they are identical bullets now. The Shockwave ive heard still uses the harder old style tip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard the same thing. Then was told by Hornady jacket was thicker. I only have the linked bullets here, no SSTs. I also just shot a 190ish pound 10pt with said bullet and it never took a step. But that was due to shot placement..........

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Checkout the Bushmaster forums. I think i saw a guy there that cut them open for comparison. Its possible something has changed but when i called Hornady i was told they are the same bullet.

I know recently Hornady made a special run of XTP MAGs for TC. They are 250gr instead of 240gr. Ive seen them and they are the MAG style for sure.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
-
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Oh yeah, forgot to add:

Powerbelts SUCK laugh

I've heard that some people have trouble killing stuff with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i take all of the 295 copper powerbelts that you have. the 6 of us that have hunted with them sense the day they came out have killed a few hundred beer and around 20 bear. 90-100 grns of powder is all we shoot.shot one yesterday that dropped within 40yds. i can tell you how to make a hollow point stay together and penetrate better. shove a .177 lead pellet in the hole. it changes the bullet.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
some sorry mofo shot a good 10 pt buck in area 44a with a fugging pb on nov5 ran into him and dipshit buddy on the 6th said they jumped it 3 times from its bed trying to find it and they said its leg was flopping. i just listened fuming inside cause it was about 600yds as the crow flies thru heavy mature pines and undergrowth from where i hunt

bout an hour before i ran into these dipchits on the 6th
i was hunting the fringe of a bedding area with plenty of fresh scrapes and rubs and around 10 am i heard what sounded like heavy labored breathing about 200 yds away for around 4-5 minutes thought it strange
then i ran into dip and chit on the way back to my truck and this is when i gleaned the info from them
i showed dip and chit what a barnes ml expander is and told them pb,s aint worth a pisshole in a snow bank then i show dip and chit a shed i found not 75 yds outta a spot i hunt and dip says he looked like that only somewhaat bigger

im fuming in my mind.........

the shed i found scored 72 inches.........

went back on the 10th no fresh sign on the fringes of the bedding area scrapes all covered in leaves
place is shut the fugg down......

im pissed the spot is shut down cause that 10 pt is wounded im thinking

go back on the 11th hunt a spot probably with 100 yds of where i heard the heavy breathing sounds

see buzzards in the area

still dont dawn on me

go home
then realize it probably was that buck and it took him a couple of days to die maybe

i need to get back in their this weekend and poke around
see if i can find this dead deer

fugg powerbelts and fugg people who cant shoot worth a dam.................

Last edited by renegade50; 11/23/16.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You blame PB's when the hit was in the leg.Yep,definitely bad bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im not sure how I have killed elk with PB but people cant kill deer.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WAUGH! All you powerbelt shooters are liars! You most likely have to shoot the poor damn deer half a dozen times before running up to it and having to stab it to death with your ramrod!

laugh laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WAUGH! All you powerbelt shooters are liars! You most likely have to shoot the poor damn deer half a dozen times before running up to it and having to stab it to death with your ramrod!

laugh laugh

yeah,i wouldn't shoot anything with a powerbelt. buck last week just fell on it own in front of my treestand.powerbelt had nothing to do with it.a guy on the whietail section says he shot a buck with a 6mm and the bullet didn't exit. everyone says great bullet performance. it laid under the hide on the opposite side like powerbelts do sometimes but powerbelts always perform poorly.if the deer falls within 40yds i could care less where the bullet went.i have a bunch of 295 hp bullets that are quarter size and weigh around 240grn.

Last edited by srwshooter; 11/23/16.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess I have to cut these PB's in half so they won't kill as dead The elk are not as hard to kill as deer I guess.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Plus they keep over expanding on me.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Do you think and I say think that Black horn is either to much powder or to hot of a load.When you have a product that works with triple 7 or pellets or black powder maybe don;t screw with it . Maybe you should start with Black horn an difference powder loads and bullets of difference makers Not what the gun shot with before

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

What bullets am I taking to the woods tomorrow...... roundballs, Hornady XTP 300 in44-cal for my Omega and Precision QT Polymer Tip 50/40 in 185 grain, which I will continue experimenting with in my 1:66 twist roundball gun. I'll reserve my 295gr Copper HP Powerbelts for muzzleloader season in December.

I never used a powerbelt, but I I'll add that you have at least 2 very tried and true and effective projectiles listed above.

I use RB in my 54 and its a hammer. The 300gn xtp jsut plain works. Every time. We've had some splashing (?) issues with the 240gn xtps. Not a huge %, but a couple of big deer were either lost or required more shooting and the initial shots proved to be superficial. I would still use the 240 or 250xtp, but I am typically a lung shooter. For shoulders or any angle, that 300 is a winner.

The Qt 40's are fun. I never went with 195's, I used the 250's a bunch. nice soft lead, accurate, flat for a non magnum ML shooter. Again, I use them behind the hsoulder or neck, not in the shoulder.

So anyway, yeah... +1 on your choices and guys can keep the powerbelts.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I guess I have to cut these PB's in half so they won't kill as dead The elk are not as hard to kill as deer I guess.\

Are you using the lighter weight or the heavier PB's?

Light powder charge?

Lung shooting or shoulders.

Just curious, but I suspect it all makes a difference.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
I guess I have to cut these PB's in half so they won't kill as dead The elk are not as hard to kill as deer I guess.\

Are you using the lighter weight or the heavier PB's?

Light powder charge?

Lung shooting or shoulders.

Just curious, but I suspect it all makes a difference.

I have used both 295 and 348 gr PB. 90 gr of BP or 90 gr of BH209.Probably will drop to 80 gs BH209 next year.

Strickly a lung shooter. Since I hunt mostly cows with a ML, I am after the meat and they are "B" tags.Then I can buy another OTC bull "A"tag in rifle season

For deer I use the 295's

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/24/16.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
While shopping for bargins yesterday picked up a couple of packages of 250 grain Barnes MZ flat points. Our shots will never exceed 50 yards so the flat points should be fine. If they are capable of shooting into a 1.5 inch circle at 50 yards will try them next season. This way between the wife and I one will be trying the Hornadys and the other Barnes.

At least the Powerbelts are accurate enough for practice and gong ringing. When we sighted in our rifles with the Hornadys they were more accurate than the PB's at 50 yards.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

It's one of the mysteries of the universe, has something to do with the space-time continuum.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

It's one of the mysteries of the universe, has something to do with the space-time continuum.

This thread was started about the 245 grain PB bullet. Not all the other weights some of you posted out

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, but then you have the "Powerbelts suck" contingent.

That seems a little more all-encompassing.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I didn't even get to strike one. They were tumbling out of my TC for some reason.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While shopping for bargins yesterday picked up a couple of packages of 250 grain Barnes MZ flat points. Our shots will never exceed 50 yards so the flat points should be fine. If they are capable of shooting into a 1.5 inch circle at 50 yards will try them next season. This way between the wife and I one will be trying the Hornadys and the other Barnes.

At least the Powerbelts are accurate enough for practice and gong ringing. When we sighted in our rifles with the Hornadys they were more accurate than the PB's at 50 yards.

At 50 yards, anything should work. Seriously, try the T/C "Cheap Shot" sabots with the .452" 240 grain lead HPs. They are very cheap (about $6 for a box of 20 at WalMart), and work plenty well.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tzone
I didn't even get to strike one. They were tumbling out of my TC for some reason.

Not surprised. TC's are one of the worst brands to buy when you want to shoot conicals. TC even used to tell you their rifles were designed for sabots, not conicals. Their QLA system was a poor set up and causes huge accuracy problems with conicals.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Between the terrible TCs and the sh*tty powerbelts, it's a wonder we ever kill anything.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am shooting the plain lead 405 gr. PBs out of my sidelock Traditions ML.

90 grains of Goex 2f is the charge.

I'll let you know how they work if I get a shot at an elk this weekend. They shoot much better than TC Maxi Balls for some reason, and are easier to load.

I admit I'm having a hard time imagining how that won't work from 0 to 100 yards, although the shot from my stands are all less than 50 yards...

Regards,
Ben
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Between the terrible TCs and the sh*tty powerbelts, it's a wonder we ever kill anything.

Truly.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

TC's are one of the worst brands to buy when you want to shoot conicals. TC even used to tell you their rifles were designed for sabots, not conicals. Their QLA system was a poor set up and causes huge accuracy problems with conicals.

That's funny there.My Hawkin's original barrel did not have the QLA, the subsequent two they put on after I wore the barrels out did. All three shot darn good. My two in lines ,have them and they shoot darn good. The Black Diamond will not shoot maxi-balls ,but talking to TC they reccomended the Power Belts, which IMHO is a conical also. I remember they said the inlines different twist and need for a more accurately made bullet than the maxi-ball was the reason. They never told me they would not shoot conicals well and were designed for sabots. Yes,I actually talked to TC a number of times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

TC's are one of the worst brands to buy when you want to shoot conicals. TC even used to tell you their rifles were designed for sabots, not conicals. Their QLA system was a poor set up and causes huge accuracy problems with conicals.

That's funny there.My Hawkin's original barrel did not have the QLA, the subsequent two they put on after I wore the barrels out did. All three shot darn good. My two in lines ,have them and they shoot darn good. The Black Diamond will not shoot maxi-balls ,but talking to TC they reccomended the Power Belts, which IMHO is a conical also. I remember they said the inlines different twist and need for a more accurately made bullet than the maxi-ball was the reason. They never told me they would not shoot conicals well and were designed for sabots. Yes,I actually talked to TC a number of times.

I have several T/Cs. They all shoot. I've had several others. They shot, too.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
My wife's ML is a T/C. Only tested it to 50 yards but accuracy with the PB's was adequate averaging 1.25 inches for 3 shots.
The Hornady 250's shot better with most shots touching at 50 yards.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just got back from the range, re-sighted in with 405 gr powerbelts (plain lead).

90 grains of Goex 2F and was 2.5 inches at 75 yards using a ghost ring aperture sight with a Lyman fiber optic front bead.

I think I can hit an elk in the lungs with that load out to 100 yards.

Regards,
Ben
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I've been shooting Power Belts for about 15 years. I shoot 295gr hollow points with three 777 50/50 pellets.

I run the same setup only I use 2 - Triple Seven pellets. (More accurate in my gun for some reason)

I hope I don't jinx myself but I have had no problems dropping deer with them.

*knocks on wood*

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been shooting the Hornady 300gr XTP (.452) for EVER..
If you dont mind the Sabot (and I dont) they are awesome.
They shoot 1.5 MOA in my T/C Encore 50cal.

I shoot them over 90 grains of loose 777 FFg. I have never had one stay inside a deer.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TC barrels can run tight. I love the Barnes TMZ-EZ Spitfires.

Load easy, very accurate but it open and cut a hell of a hole while holding together.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by renegade50
some sorry mofo shot a good 10 pt buck in area 44a with a fugging pb on nov5 ran into him and dipshit buddy on the 6th said they jumped it 3 times from its bed trying to find it and they said its leg was flopping. i just listened fuming inside cause it was about 600yds as the crow flies thru heavy mature pines and undergrowth from where i hunt

bout an hour before i ran into these dipchits on the 6th
i was hunting the fringe of a bedding area with plenty of fresh scrapes and rubs and around 10 am i heard what sounded like heavy labored breathing about 200 yds away for around 4-5 minutes thought it strange
then i ran into dip and chit on the way back to my truck and this is when i gleaned the info from them
i showed dip and chit what a barnes ml expander is and told them pb,s aint worth a pisshole in a snow bank then i show dip and chit a shed i found not 75 yds outta a spot i hunt and dip says he looked like that only somewhaat bigger

im fuming in my mind.........

the shed i found scored 72 inches.........

went back on the 10th no fresh sign on the fringes of the bedding area scrapes all covered in leaves
place is shut the fugg down......

im pissed the spot is shut down cause that 10 pt is wounded im thinking

go back on the 11th hunt a spot probably with 100 yds of where i heard the heavy breathing sounds

see buzzards in the area

still dont dawn on me

go home
then realize it probably was that buck and it took him a couple of days to die maybe

i need to get back in their this weekend and poke around
see if i can find this dead deer

fugg powerbelts and fugg people who cant shoot worth a dam.................

fugg powerbelts and fugg people who cant shoot worth a dam................. nuff said.................

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Flip flop much?
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8146046/3

Yes you did get plenty of free and greatly reduced priced stuff from CVA and Traditions. Then you turned around and sold a lot of that stuff. You even admitted it on Huntingnet. You sold a freebie rifle to Muley. Thats called a profit in case you failed basic economics class. Traditions sent you no less than one free newer inline for review work.I know for a fact you got lots of free PBs and sold many of them on forums.

So oh yes you got paid alright. Just like Randy and Toby get paid....with free stuff.

How fast you forget what you post. Maybe if you were not hyping products from sponsors on countless forums you would remember all the crap you spewed out over the years.

laugh laugh laugh waff...
politicians, prostitutes and prostaff
say and do and promote anything in their own vested interest

bigblock have tito get you a tissue so you can wipe that cva/pb moneyshot off your chin..................

Last edited by renegade50; 12/07/16.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Never took a dime my friends. I've shot powerbelts long before i ever knew anyone at cva. Started out with an old cva blazer and tc maxi balls which turned out to be crap ( although the 50 cal version seems much better)

If'n i ever got paid, i'd tell ya so, along with, You got something against Americans earning a pay check? LOL

I've shot more powerbelts that the folks at powerbelt most likely. You've got to get an education and learn them, learn the fault lines, how to improve them. Once that's done you can decide if you want to shoot them or not. Im back with a fur hat, percussion & flintlock with round balls. Its a whole lot more enjoyable to me now days. Inlines no longer interest me and why would they if you think of it.

Last edited by bigblock455; 12/07/16.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use 260gr Precision Rifle sabots for my first shot from my Knight. Use 348gr Powerbelts for a quick loading second shot as they hit exactly to the same spot as the PR sabots out to 75 yards.
Will never use Powerbelts as my first shot as I have been disappointed in their performance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Westernmassman
I use 260gr Precision Rifle sabots for my first shot from my Knight. Use 348gr Powerbelts for a quick loading second shot as they hit exactly to the same spot as the PR sabots out to 75 yards.
Will never use Powerbelts as my first shot as I have been disappointed in their performance.

?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
SIgh

Never forget the first mule deer I smacked with a White 460 grain super slug at 125 yards more or less. All four feet sticking up in the air and a blood bath on the offside that Helen Keller could see. I don't like gimmick bullets and a PB is a gimmick bullet, I do not like the base design.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
SIgh

Never forget the first mule deer I smacked with a White 460 grain super slug at 125 yards more or less. All four feet sticking up in the air and a blood bath on the offside that Helen Keller could see. I don't like gimmick bullets and a PB is a gimmick bullet, I do not like the base design.

Whites were/are awesome.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Soooo you wound the animal first with the 260 PR and then finish it off with the powerbelt? grin

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sooo if the first shot doesn't DRT the deer...and I need a quick finishing shot, I use the Powerbelts. They do load easy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sooo if the first shot doesn't DRT the deer...and I need a quick finishing shot, I use the Powerbelts. They do load easy.

Honest question - how fast can you reload and fire said second shot with the PB?

Follow-up question - what is the time difference between the PB reload and a reload with the primary bullet/sabot?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 4ager

Honest question - how fast can you reload and fire said second shot with the PB?

Follow-up question - what is the time difference between the PB reload and a reload with the primary bullet/sabot?

I'm kind of a slow old fart,but still reasonably fast in reloads. However,unless the elk is laying there flopping around on the ground,I have yet to be able to reload any bullet by the time the elk thinks "What the hell" and leaves the country.The ones flopping around on the ground are usually dead by the time I get reloaded

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Never took a dime my friends. I've shot powerbelts long before i ever knew anyone at cva. Started out with an old cva blazer and tc maxi balls which turned out to be crap ( although the 50 cal version seems much better)

If'n i ever got paid, i'd tell ya so, along with, You got something against Americans earning a pay check? LOL

I've shot more powerbelts that the folks at powerbelt most likely. You've got to get an education and learn them, learn the fault lines, how to improve them. Once that's done you can decide if you want to shoot them or not. Im back with a fur hat, percussion & flintlock with round balls. Its a whole lot more enjoyable to me now days. Inlines no longer interest me and why would they if you think of it.

ya you never get "compensation" for the 10,000 sites you are on spewing your "prostaff opinon".... wow you also have a fur cap wgaf....

"primitive" been their,seen it,done it,got the t-shirt.....
[Linked Image]

Last edited by renegade50; 12/09/16.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
cap locks are fun, those damn flintlocks though are getting to me.
[Linked Image]

10k sites? Used to be like that about 6 years ago, after that, the forums, including this one, have dried up.

Last edited by bigblock455; 12/09/16.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

ya you never get "compensation" for the 10,000 sites you are on spewing your "prostaff opinon".... wow you also have a fur cap wgaf....

[Linked Image]

I got a set just like that.Although not as shiny.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
4ager: Honestly never timed the reloads, but what I do like is that I can start them with my finger and not have to use my starter and lean on my ramrod to seat them like I would with the other Sabot/bullet. The less I have to deal with up in a tree stand in December the better I like it!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
SIgh

Yeah. I cant speak for the PB cause I've never shot one. for me, the big solft slow lead really just works so damned well at modest ranges that I have stopped using anything else. Going on a decade now I dont htink Ive shot more than a couple deer with something other than a 460 or 495grain .451 out of my white.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Local store didn't carry Barnes so picked up some Hornady 250 gr SST's. Maybe we will get lucky to shoot another deer with these before the ML season ends Friday evening. Will test fire them later today and see how accurate they are.

I switched from powerbelts to the Hornady SSTs too.

A little harder to load, but, they are more accurate out of my TC encore.

Dropped a nice 10 point at ~70 yards this year, DRT.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now is the time of year to get Powerbelts cheap. Walmart usually puts them on closeout. Stay away from purchasing less than 295 grains - stay away from the lead version and also the copper aerotips (my opinion).

I have 295 copper HPs that work fine and the 300gr Platinums (top-tier bullet there). I refuse to pay more than a dollar for the Platinums and the copper HPs might be as low as 65 cents right now at Walmart.

Other than that, I shoot Hornady XTPs in 300gr (44-cal). Also use Precision Polymer Tip QTs in 185gr (50/40s blue sabot). I recently purchased a 50-pk of the Horandy FTX in 200gr (44-cal). They are being saved for the range in 2017 spring. I heard they shoot real well in Knight inlines, using the green Harvester Crush Rib sabot.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 12/09/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
SIgh

First mule deer I shot with a 348 PB at 130 yards did exactly the same thing. So did my buddy's elk this year, and one or two I've shot in the past with the same bullet.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Other than that, I shoot Hornady XTPs in 300gr (44-cal). Also use Precision Polymer Tip QTs in 185gr (50/40s blue sabot). I recently purchased a 50-pk of the Horandy FTX in 200gr (44-cal). They are being saved for the range in 2017 spring. I heard they shoot real well in Knight inlines, using the green Harvester Crush Rib sabot.

IMO the 300xtp is an under rated bullet for sabot shooters. Its not new or fancy, but it does everything required inexpensively and is, as they say, 'boringly consistent'.

Do you like the 185's? What barrel twist are you using them in, and hows accuracy?

I used the 250QT's for a while, but never re ordered more as I gravitated towards the other gun shooting the big conicals.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
SIgh

First mule deer I shot with a 348 PB at 130 yards did exactly the same thing. So did my buddy's elk this year, and one or two I've shot in the past with the same bullet.

I like the margin of error of 110 grains more oomph behind the same caliber bullet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like the way you think grin

Most of the problems people have with Powerbelts are with the lighter ones.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

[Linked Image]

I got a set just like that.Although not as shiny.

bore butter
interior and exterior

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WAUGH! BORE BUTTER. You cook good rabbit pilgrim.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
WAUGH! BORE BUTTER. You cook good rabbit pilgrim.

and #13 cleaner.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
contact lens cleaner indeed.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not trying to be argumentative, but I used the 338 grain Powerbelt Platinum with 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 Dec. 19th to kill a big Iowa whitetail at 111 yards. The deer was quartering toward me, and I hit him just off of the onside shoulder. the bullet penetrated 18-20 inches and made a bleeding hole through the offside ribs and hide. The bullet got hung up in the hide, and was found while caping the head and hide. This is the expanded bullet. I'm very satisfied with the bullet performance.

Ron

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ohio7x57; 12/24/16.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Not trying to be argumentative, but i used the 338 grain Powerbelt Platinum with 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 Dec. 19th to kill a big Iowa whitetail at 111 yards. The deer was quartering toward me, and I hit him just off of the onside shoulder. the bullet penetrated 18-20 inches and made a bleeding hole through the offside ribs and hide. The bullet got hung up in the hide, and was found while caping the head and hide. This is the expanded bullet. I'm very satisfied with the bullet performance.

Ron

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like when they dump all the energy. Good shot.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Looks perfect.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've run the 195 gr Powerbelts with 100 gr 777 through my 45 cal CVA into a couple whitetails and not had the best results either.

As a matter of fact on NYD 2015 I put one into the neck of a fawn at about 100 yds and recovered it.

Today a buddy put a 250 gr Hornady SST Sabot from his 50 cal TC pushed by 100 gr buckhorn 209 straight into the brisket and through the heart at 50 yds:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It penetrated deeply & retained a lot (haven't weighed it yet) of weight despite the high impact velocity.

I'll be trying those in my .45 and in my .50 the Barnes Spitfire TMZ.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My biggest problem with SSTs, Shockwaves, and Barnes bullets, is how hard they are to load down the barrel. a real chore. Of course this was with my T/C.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw
I've run the 195 gr Powerbelts with 100 gr 777 through my 45 cal CVA into a couple whitetails and not had the best results either.

As a matter of fact on NYD 2015 I put one into the neck of a fawn at about 100 yds and recovered it.

Today a buddy put a 250 gr Hornady SST Sabot from his 50 cal TC pushed by 100 gr buckhorn 209 straight into the brisket and through the heart at 50 yds:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It penetrated deeply & retained a lot (haven't weighed it yet) of weight despite the high impact velocity.

I'll be trying those in my .45 and in my .50 the Barnes Spitfire TMZ.

You will not be disappointed with the Barnes. I have run the 250 spitfires in my Savage @ 2500fps with a max load of 4198 (Only for muzzleloaders design for smokeless) they hit like Thor's Hammer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I won't buy PB either after having less than optimal results.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good bullet

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

120 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, 15 invisible), 1,014 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.