Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Looking at a new pack for hunting Roosevelt's elk. I'm not camping, but moving 4-5 miles on foot in a walk-in area then packing meat out. Spot and stalk style hunting.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks,

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since nobody has answered I'll bite.

I haven't used the new MR frame. I have two packs with the NICE frame.

MR packs are heavy. For day hunting and possibly throwing a quarter on, there are better packs around for the money IMO.

I also don't find them to be as comfortable as many say, but that might just be me.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'm hoping to make it out to idaho elk/mule deer hunting and need a new pack.

watching lots of randy newberg videos on youtube it's all mystery ranch, they look durable and I like the idea of being able to carry out the first 1/4 on the first trip back to the truck/camp vs hiking back with a daypack THEN hiking back with a frame pack. In a recent video he was using the cabinet but when asked he said he still prefers the metcalf.

i would check out his forums or rokslide for more MR info and used deals.

bellydeep: what pack would you suggest? I was going to go MR but everyone has the medium frameand I imagine I'm going to measure out for a small frame so don't want to drop $300-400 then have something that doesn't fit quite right

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a new Cabinet. It is a great day pack. I opt for my Metcalf when I might possibly be hauling elk quarters. I have both in the new Gen2 frame and two Metcalfs in the old NICE frame. Love both the Metcalf and the Cabinet, and I really like the new frame.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tim_B

bellydeep: what pack would you suggest? I was going to go MR but everyone has the medium frameand I imagine I'm going to measure out for a small frame so don't want to drop $300-400 then have something that doesn't fit quite right

I've really been liking my Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 for day hunts the last couple years. It is light and very compact. Once you shoot something it's easy to pull the bag away from the frame, slide the meat in, and cinch it all back down.

I've tried (and sold) a bunch of packs in the last several years. A few models of Badlands, a couple Eberlestocks, a Blacks Creek, and a Sitka.

I've kept my MR packs because they are super quality (tough!) and do a decent job. They are kind of my 'ol trusty. But they are heavy and unnecessary for most day hunts.

I haven't carried the MR on a day hunt since I bought the Kuiu and have not lusted after another day pack since (which says a lot because I'm kind of a pack fanatic).

The Kuiu packs are expensive but they run a 30% off sale a couple times a year. That gets their price down to about $300

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigFin
I have a new Cabinet. It is a great day pack. I opt for my Metcalf when I might possibly be hauling elk quarters. I have both in the new Gen2 frame and two Metcalfs in the old NICE frame. Love both the Metcalf and the Cabinet, and I really like the new frame.

Does the new frame actually carry better or is it just lighter?

I have a Longbow and a Metcalf on the old frame. The Metcalf has the MR load lifters; for the Longbow I bought an aftermarket kit.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kuiu is having a 30% off sale right now! It's only four days, November 17-20. They'll be getting part of my check. I own the icon pro 7200 but haven't packed out an animal in it yet. I also have the Yukon rain pants and jacket, the best rain gear I have ever worn.

Last edited by Stick1330; 11/17/16.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Take a good look at Seek Outside packs.

Great stuff as well.

Awesome customer service also.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
i'm an easterner so pardon my ignorance: what are the MR load lifters?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by BigFin

Does the new frame actually carry better or is it just lighter?

I have a Longbow and a Metcalf on the old frame. The Metcalf has the MR load lifters; for the Longbow I bought an aftermarket kit.

I think it carries better, in addition to being lighter. It is slightly smaller in dimensions. The frame forms better to the back. The waist belt has really improved. The load lifters/stabilizers are not as cumbersome as the old model.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tim_B
i'm an easterner so pardon my ignorance: what are the MR load lifters?

These:

http://ovinnovations.com/products/g2-load-lifter-panel-llp

The original packs didn't have them. Tends to get uncomfortable with a heavy load for tall guys. I'm 6' but have a long torso.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My day pack is my meat hauler. Why run two different packs when one can do it all? Just compress it down and go...

As to the load lifters, they are a part of the pack and are very important when carrying heavy loads (not specific to one brand).

YMMv

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.