Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've finally about wore out my Berber fleece, windshear pullover my wife bought me about ten years ago.

Besides all the hole and rips, I'm tired of packing something that that big and heavy around.

Looking for something with similar or better warmth and wind resistance, but lighter and easier to pack.

I've thought about trying a First Lite Uncomphagre and HPG Mountain Serape...I could eliminate the Berber pullover and my bibs. Seems both can be compressed down pretty good. I hike in several miles and then set stationary for hours. Normally have merino base layers under Microtex and occasionally a hooded sweatshirt added.

The lighter the better, as I have to pack deer out at most places due to terrain, but don't want to sacrifice much warmth either.

I'm way behind the times when it comes to outer wear, I haven't shopped any for a long time. Looking for suggestions, need them to work for a tall guy.

Thanks.

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Hard to go wrong with a midlayer down/sythetic down sweater. That first lite looks nice. Throw on a thicker jacket over it or a rainshell if needed and you'll get lots of mileage out of it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Unc will be 19 oz of warmth that will far surpass what any fleece or Berber will do for you. I wouldn't go without one.

RLTW
Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greentimber
The Unc will be 19 oz of warmth that will far surpass what any fleece or Berber will do for you. I wouldn't go without one.

Well that's great news to hear. I would have never imagined the FL Unc would surpass something as heavy as the Berber series for pure warmth.

Need to find somewhere that stocks them to see what size I'll need.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greentimber

Yep. I wore mine this year on two elk hunts. Pair it with a windproof/water proof outer shell and you're done. I'd consider going 1 step farther and ordering a First Lite Labrador sweater. I shot both of my elk this fall wearing an Icebreaker 160 top and FL Labrador sweater. It wasn't real cold and I was still hunting; turned out to be a perfect combination. I wore the FL Uncom when I was sitting/glassing.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 11 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 771 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.