Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Any recommendations for leg-hold traps for bobcat? I've never trapped cats and have a serious cat problem around here.

Neighbor showed me a trailcam picture this afternoon that was taken yesterday morning around 09:00AM. BIG bobcat chasing a fox squirrel across the camera's field of view.

Tracks behind my barn and my barn cat is missing.

I'm open to suggestions, tips, etc.

My decoys and caller are dusted off, but I'd like all options open.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Montgomery step-ins, #3 or #4. Or longsprings, or jumps or snares or boxes......

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Here is another route, if you are concerned about catching pets.

Bobcat Live Cage Trap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4-J5TgufM0

I know they have some that you can put a live chicken in a partition of the trap and it works well. I'm sure it's expensive to get a trap like that but if you are going to use it for years to come, maybe it's a good investment.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 11/16/16.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You have to be right on thier path, setup trail cameras where you think they run, and then trap them.

Bridger traps work fine, but I like calling them myself.

They like rocks and cliff areas "ALOT"

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I will second Huntsman22 on the foot-hold traps. A duck wing on fishing line hanging 2.5-3' off the ground from a limb will suck them in.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
#3 Bridger Dogless Offset Modified if you are concerned about non target animals.

#3 Bridger Dogless Offset if non targets are not a concern.

They have big pans, are already night latched and are pretty well ready to go for the novice. link

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed, I don't have any dogless traps for coyotes and bobcats. I have #3 bridgers, #4 dukes, #3 pioneers, and #3 victors, and have caught coyotes and bobcats in all of them.

The bridgers are my favorite.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
big live cage traps set up work well. If you can get your hands on 3n victors they work. Snares are great

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MB 550 off set and four coiled in a dirt hole....Hawbackers Wildcat lure in the hole and liberal amounts of fox or cat pee on the backing....use lots of guide stix to walk em in...Cats are dumb...all three of these cats and several more were all caught at the same tree...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can't get it to load but click this....it's pretty cool...

[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/CharlieB401/th_001_zpsxkx1dady.mp4[/img]

And for the record...they're foot hold's not "leg holds".....

Last edited by FieldGrade; 11/17/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
nice cats

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can you get them into a bucket with a 330 at the entrance? Never trapped bobcat

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry...never tried one....I live and die with the dirt hole and guide sticks....

My friend in WY does pretty good with large cage traps and my mentor in NV does even better with exposed trail sets....like I said..Cats are dumb"....

A few more for your viewing pleasure....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm a hack compared to my long liner buddy down in NV though..

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks, FG. Those are some beautiful cats!

I'll do some more scouting and try to figure out a place to set traps.

The one that seems to be sticking around here has been using the trails I cut through the back side of our place.

I have 1/2 dozen old Newhouse traps I brought from Alaska. It's been so long, I have forgotten what they are. I'll have to dig them out tomorrow and see.

Might have to buy some new traps. Definitely have to buy some lure!

Thanks to all for your help. I'll be back with more questions, I'm sure.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Ed, I don't have any dogless traps for coyotes and bobcats. I have #3 bridgers, #4 dukes, #3 pioneers, and #3 victors, and have caught coyotes and bobcats in all of them.

The bridgers are my favorite.

Thanks, Randy. I need to really study this cat. There's a big jumble of rocks, complete with caves big enough for people to get in, on the place behind ours. That's where my money is on for it's home.

The only domestic dog(s) that I might catch would be my own, so I don't have much to worry about there. Coyotes, now that's another matter.

Ed

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Can you get them into a bucket with a 330 at the entrance? Never trapped bobcat

I havent seen it done, but wont say it cant work either. Cats arent shy about going into small spaces, as long as they can turn around..They dont like to back up.

if i was to use a 330, I'd set it up in a "cubby" big enough for them to spin around in, and probably a walk-thru cubby.

My favorite cat sets were exposed walk-thru's with #3 Victors or bridgers. Like FG said, they aint trap shy. but location is very important.

A simple dirt hole set is good for just about everything that has fur.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You can catch cats in 220's in buckets or boxes, but dry land conibear sets aren't legal everywhere.

If I were looking for a specific bobcat trap, I'd look at #2-#3 dogless. Bridger makes a #2 dogless that looks great. Montgomery #3's are legendary. Even #2-#3 dukes will work.

I've held cats and coyotes in bridger #1.65's, and Duke 1.75's, but #2-#3's would be better for those animals.

With cat sets, being right on the sign is more important than the actual trap set, be it dirt hole, scent post, or blind set.

Great pics Field Grade.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've caught them in a homemade live trap, using whatever I could find for bait. You'll catch coons and possums also, but it will definitely catch a bobcat.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use MB 650's and Montana #3 dogless.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by duckcall

MB 650's are great. I use the MB 650C as my go-to coyote trap (C stands for cast jaws as opposed to stamped.) As Fieldgrade pointed out, MB 550's will do it too. The MB's (Minnesota Brand) traps are US made and are a world above the Chinese and Korean schitt.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by duckcall

MB 650's are great. I use the MB 650C as my go-to coyote trap (C stands for cast jaws as opposed to stamped.) As Fieldgrade pointed out, MB 550's will do it too. The MB's (Minnesota Brand) traps are US made and are a world above the Chinese and Korean schitt.

#2 Bridgers work pretty good for Coyotes too but you really need something bigger like the 650's if you prefer the two-foot catch... smile

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I knew you were good but I didn't know you were THAT GOOD ! laugh

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hey Ed. Plenty of good advice here. I have caught several cats with my Victor #1 3\4, but if you're buying go with Field Grade's advice. As FG said, they aren't that smart. Left-over fried chicken bones work. I buy my lure from Wayne Derrick Lures out of NM. I'd like a look at those Newhouse, Tx. Trappers Assn. Rendevous is in Brownwood now. Long ways for you. Good Luck!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I knew you were good but I didn't know you were THAT GOOD ! laugh

Yea....it cuts down on the catch circle so I can reuse the site..... wink grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[quote=ol_mike]I knew you were good but I didn't know you were THAT GOOD ! laugh

Yea....it cuts down on the catch circle so I can reuse the site..... wink grin [/quote

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW great thinking !! laugh

Trapping season starts in 1 1/2 hrs. here December 1st. -I'm headed out tomorrow morning . Of coarse I'm just a man of meager skills .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
#2 and up coils are fine. Wing on a string to attract them, or a CD hanging even though I like wings....

Sticks to guide and guide their step. They are not smart.

Lure as noted.

Box or live traps work fine too, I brush mine in a bit or up under a cedar or such and some more cover. They don't mind going in box traps.

I'd not use a killer trap due to domestic animals personally.

We have em here at home too, they'll eat a lot of things, have a pic off the game camera this year one carrying a squirrel. Don't hurt much unless numbers are up.

But they are simple to catch compared to yotes for me anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by poboy
Hey Ed. Plenty of good advice here. I have caught several cats with my Victor #1 3\4, but if you're buying go with Field Grade's advice. As FG said, they aren't that smart. Left-over fried chicken bones work. I buy my lure from Wayne Derrick Lures out of NM. I'd like a look at those Newhouse, Tx. Trappers Assn. Rendevous is in Brownwood now. Long ways for you. Good Luck!

Mike, You forget where I'm from. I've driven farther than that for a beer and a game of 8 ball. grin I've not been to a Trappers Rendezvous. Sounds like a cool place to learn some stuff.

I've been offline bird hunting in KS for a bit. Back home now and will dig those traps out. I'll take some pics and post them for comment/advice.

Thanks again to all for your wisdom. The cat is still here and still needs killin'.

Ed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob Cats are easy to catch in a live trap. You need one with a partition or false room in the back. A live white chicken works best.

Here is the trick. Place brush on all three sides and the top. The cat will run right down the tunnel to get the chicken.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My favorite trap is a BMI K-9 wolfer. It is a #2 with forged offset jaws and four springs. BMI is a small family business here in the good ol US. I use them for cats and coyotes.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Smac1
My favorite trap is a BMI K-9 wolfer. It is a #2 with forged offset jaws and four springs. BMI is a small family business here in the good ol US. I use them for cats and coyotes.

Thank you, sir!

Ed

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I always favored Montgomery #3 coils when I trapped cat and coyote. Trail sets with guide sticks or dirt holes. Looking forward to doing some more when I retire soon.
PS> FieldGrade that is one nice Tom in that first picture unless you are only 4ft tall!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

102 members (6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, 160user, 41rem, 14 invisible), 957 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.