Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What's your go to barrel cleaner? Pulled out my encore barrel today and it had the slightest amount of surface rust in it. One patch through it and it was clean and shiny again, but I want something to prevent it from rusting again. I usually clean with the thompson center cleaner and run a patch of hoppes down the barrel.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ultra Bore Coat.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wife

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The cleaning solvent will depend on the powder being used.

I want something to prevent it from rusting again

If you do a good job cleaning and drying it the first time any good synthetic oil works just fine at preventing rust during storage.

Ballistol, Eezox, Barricade, Slip2000...you name it. They all work well if its clean and dry before applying your oil. If you want to make sure its dry just give the bore a good shot of WD40, HEET or Brake Clean. They will displace water quickly.

Ultra Bore Coat which is now called Dyna-Tek is another layer of protection. It bonds to the metal kinda like Cerakote and helps seal it. Some people swear by it especially if using T7 powder. http://store.dyna-tek.com/Muzzleloader-Kit-p/gn-muzzleloader.htm

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
2 in 1 bore scrubber for deep cleaning when i shoot copper/lead/plastic.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Overkill45
The cleaning solvent will depend on the powder being used.

I want something to prevent it from rusting again

If you do a good job cleaning and drying it the first time any good synthetic oil works just fine at preventing rust during storage.

Ballistol, Eezox, Barricade, Slip2000...you name it. They all work well if its clean and dry before applying your oil. If you want to make sure its dry just give the bore a good shot of WD40, HEET or Brake Clean. They will displace water quickly.

Ultra Bore Coat which is now called Dyna-Tek is another layer of protection. It bonds to the metal kinda like Cerakote and helps seal it. Some people swear by it especially if using T7 powder. http://store.dyna-tek.com/Muzzleloader-Kit-p/gn-muzzleloader.htm

I run Goex FFg and FFFg. No fouling problems; no corrosion problems.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I must be old school, but I like hot water and Dawn to clean. After is clean and dry I do barricade as a rust preventive.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I was replying to the OP. He asked 2 questions. One for a cleaner and one for prevention of future rusting.

I dont use the same cleaner for Swiss as i do for Blackhorn. Ultra Bore Coat is not a cleaner but can aid in prevention and protection after it is clean.

Any coating can wear off over time. Using a good synthetic oil after every cleaning is sound advice whether the bore is coated or not.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by noKnees
I must be old school, but I like hot water and Dawn to clean. After is clean and dry I do barricade as a rust preventive.

That is all ive used for ages when shooting real black or subs. Blackhorn209 is the exception. Its fouling should be cleaned just like any smokeless powder. Pick whatever CF cleaner you like. They all work but some work better than others. Montana Xtreme works great but the fumes are brutal.

Ballistol is one of the few solvents that can clean both. Its not perfect but it works and the fumes are not nearly as bad. I really like to use it after using soap and water when im away from home.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Cutting oil plus water 1-6 parts!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm using Blackhorn 209 powder so it's a lot cleaner. I'm wondering if I just didn't get enough oil in the barrel to protect the bare metal.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Hot soapy water, dry, and oil with Breakfree. Then again I have never in my life used anything other than Holy Black...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Water and sweet oil.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
CLEAN
Water ... room temp, NEVER warmer to hot!

SOLVENT
If I need to use a solvent, Butch's 'Bore Shine' for black powdah is phenomenal, best I have ever used!

STORAGE
Short-term: Ballistol.

Long-term: Birchwood Casey's 'Barricade' product.

Ultra-Long-term: RIG grease.

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Flint62Smoothie
CLEAN
Water ... room temp, NEVER warmer to hot!

SOLVENT
If I need to use a solvent, Butch's 'Bore Shine' for black powdah is phenomenal, best I have ever used!

STORAGE
Short-term: Ballistol.

Long-term: Birchwood Casey's 'Barricade' product.

Ultra-Long-term: RIG grease.

^^^^^
This is probably the best advice if using Blackhorn.

When you first start to clean the fouling push a dry patch all the way through the bore a couple times. That will remove most of the loose fouling. Then start using a solvent.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For Blackhorn, I was using 2 in 1 Birchwood-Casey Bore Scrubber and Slip 2000EWL for protectant.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 4ager
Ultra Bore Coat.

That +1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ballistol cleans my "stainless" H&R's very well.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Omega/Triple 7/Soap & water
Omega/BH209/Butch's
SML/H4198/Butch's

I oil the barrels in the off season, never during season as it significantly changes my POI on the first shot. I will swab my barrels if they go from below freezing to above freezing.

Hawkeye

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amsoil powerfoam, plug bore and foam it up. By far the best stuff i've found. Its made to remove carbon from engines.

Last edited by srwshooter; 11/18/16.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 3,344 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.