Print Thread
Hop To
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I have recently been approached with a trade idea involving a 1920 era src in 30 wcf. The owner sent me pics of the carbine and I'm seeing something that I personally don't recall seeing on a 94 before. The gun obviously appears to be a bit of a special order as it is a 2/3 length mag. It does have the standard carbine butt stock, but the forearm has me a bit baffled. It appears correct for a carbine of that era, however it is grooved on each side much like an 1895 src. Doing a Google search I see no mention of this as a potential option, and I have no reference material on the 94's. I'm curious if anyone around the fire has seen something like this on a 94 src. Thanks

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Not one of the 94/ 95's with the 95 fitted barrel is it? I have only see photos of this type of rifle and I thought they came with standard 94 forearm. Has a later type '95 front sight as well as the shorter magazine tube.

I know of one member here that has one. Mebbe he will chime in.

Would like to see a pic of the one you have mentioned. Might help a bunch.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
The owner has not sent me a good pic of the barrel markings other than the 30 wcf marking. Tang markings appear typical for the 94. The front sight does appear a bit different than the typical src sight as it looks longer at the base where it slides into the barrel sight mount. Rear sight is the typical src ladder sight.

I did ask the owner if the stock had been messed with in any way and he states it has not. Looking at the color and character marks it does appear to be original and not messed with, but it's kind of hard to tell the wood to metal fit in the pics. There does appear to be some shrinkage, but it's hard to tell how much.

I'd love to post a pic if I could figure out how to move it from my e-mail to here on an iPad. If anyone could tell a simpleton how to do that I'd be happy to try. My gut is telling me to make the trade, but this is just so odd to me I was hoping someone here had some insight rather than just gambling.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
As a side note, when I asked the owner about the stock having been messed with he did state that he had showed it to his smith who told him that there hadn't been too many made with the grooved forearm. I have no reference material on the 94's and I can find no mention of grooved forearms on my internet searches.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
PM sent.

I'm sure no authority on this rifle. But it does sound interesting. Like I mentioned maybe someone in the know will chime in. Photos sure would help, but I understand that situation too! Hard to make a call.

Bob

Founder

WS

IC B2

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Returned Bob, appreciate the help. It was definitely interesting when I first saw the pics.

Shane

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I understand. This was the first thing that popped into my head. I'm sure not trying to say that's what it is. Just one of the possibilities. wink.

Not a very smart idea to cut those grooves into a forearm of a tubular mag rifle! Aweful thinning of the wood! But crazier stuff has happened. Like thumb fire 22's and shotguns you cock by pushing the barrel back in the action! laugh
Good luck!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/17/16.

Founder

WS

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't remember ever seeing one with a grooved forend. I believe they are generally found in at a later date....late 1920's.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I was hoping to post a couple pics of the carbine here as I did figure out how to get them to kaywoodies email. However it is kicking my tail and I can't get them moved over. Bob and I are of the same opinion I think that the grooved forearm is probably something a previous owner had done, although it was most likely long ago. Regardless, the current owner and I have come to an agreement on a trade and I should have the carbine in hand on Monday. If push really comes to shove I can use the carbine sight for another carbine I have that needs one. Anyway, once I have the gun I'll try and post some pics.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You can go over to winchestercollector.org to get some real expert opinion on the originality of your rifle, but I'm fairly confident that your grooved forearm didn't come that way from the factory.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.