-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.adn.com/politics/2016/11/17/judge-hears-arguments-over-gov-walkers-partial-veto-of-pfds/

Judge tosses legal challenge to Walker's PFD veto
Author: Alaska Dispatch News Updated: 19 minutes ago Published 1 hour ago

Judge William Morse challenges plaintiff and state Sen. Bill Wielechowski during oral arguments at the Nesbett Courthouse on Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016. (Loren Holmes / Alaska Dispatch News)

Anchorage Superior Court Judge William Morse ruled from the bench Thursday that Gov. Bill Walker had the legal authority to veto half the transfer of state funds into the Alaska Permanent Fund dividend account, rejecting a judgment sought in a lawsuit by a state senator.

Prior to issuing his ruling, Morse was openly skeptical of the arguments brought by Sen. Bill Wielechowski in his lawsuit, though he also challenged the state's defense attorney, Assistant Attorney General Margaret Paton-Walsh.

The closely watched lawsuit was brought by Wielechowski and two other plaintiffs in an effort to restore more than $600 million to Alaska's 2016 Permanent Fund dividend program, following the veto this year by Walker.

Wielechowski said outside the courtroom that he will appeal Morse's decision to the Alaska Supreme Court.

Walker vetoed half the Alaska Legislature's deposit into the Permanent Fund's dividend program in June. The veto had the effect of cutting this year's dividend checks for most Alaskans in half, to a little more than $1,000.

Morse said Alaska's Constitution grants the governor extraordinary powers to make line-item vetoes from the budget, especially at times of economic troubles.

"And we're in crunch time," Morse said.

While much of the case turned on technical words of state finance, such as the difference between an "appropriation" and a "dedicated fund," Morse ultimately said the framers of Alaska's Constitution clearly wanted to give the governor strong veto power.

Wielechowski, in arguing for a summary judgment declaring Walker's veto unconstitutional, said the fund was enshrined in the Constitution and the governor had no right to veto the transfer.

A small group of protesters outside the state courthouse in downtown Anchorage demanded restoration of the full dividend, supporting Wielechowski's lawsuit.

Supporters of the lawsuit, including Chugiak resident Rocky Dippel, left, wave signs before oral arguments Thursday morning, Nov. 17, 2016, outside the Nesbett courthouse in Anchorage.
Supporters of the lawsuit, including Chugiak resident Rocky Dippel, left, wave signs before oral arguments Thursday morning, Nov. 17, 2016, outside the Nesbett courthouse in Anchorage.
Walker said that the Legislature's failure to produce a fiscal plan in the face of huge deficits forced him to veto the money.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Walker said that the Legislature's failure to produce a fiscal plan in the face of huge deficits forced him to veto the money.

Lying SOB

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Agreed... not like he can just spend it elsewhere...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I need to read up on the state constitution, but to my mind if the Governor is going to veto a line item it should be the entire item. Hence I can see him vetoing the entire PFD payout, but not a partial payout.

While not a ruling by the judge, it does seem to set a dangerous precedent that the Governor can practically write legislation in the name of a line item veto.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Its a special kind of veto called the "partial percentage-based line item veto".

Sort of the Excalibur of vetoes.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Walker " banked the funds" ....he didn't want to get caught having in in the States wallet, so to say...and yea I think he's a ahole ..

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
and yea I think he's a ahole ..

You were told he was an ahole before the election if I recall.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
and yea I think he's a ahole ..

You were told he was an ahole before the election if I recall.

I tried to tell anybody that would listen...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
Its a special kind of veto called the "partial percentage-based line item veto".

Sort of the Excalibur of vetoes.

I think you're onto something.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds special, for sure.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I guess I need to read up on the state constitution, but to my mind if the Governor is going to veto a line item it should be the entire item. Hence I can see him vetoing the entire PFD payout, but not a partial payout.

While not a ruling by the judge, it does seem to set a dangerous precedent that the Governor can practically write legislation in the name of a line item veto.

I think the judge got it wrong and this will be overturned by the supremes.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess hes on our/your side ...if it benefits him.....what can I say... The only faith I have ...is in faith hill 😁😁

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only faith I have ...is in faith hill 😁😁

She's also a democrat. You can sure pick em wink

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The kkk blush part….? Now I aint even got faith... No more voting for me...I'll just do what I want / like before.....and stop this nonsense of asking .gov what can I do.. grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.