Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Thanks Tman for clearing that up!! I love .22 caliber centerfires,but I am not sold on them for shooting big game!!

No problem Hazen...I am sold on 22 CFs for deer/antelope, but have always been a lung shooter. Back in high school, I killed several deer/antelope with my 'ol .22-250 and wally world special 55 grain bullets (the old white and orange box winchester loads). Animals rarely took more than a few steps when lung shot with that combo.

Even the big buck mule deer I shot this year fell instantly to the second 62 TSX...which is why I couldn't 100% write off the first round as being a "failure".

It is all about what a guy has confidence in...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
utah, T shot several animals this fall with the .223 and 62 gr.. His final doe antelope shot though the lungs. It ran three hundred yards and was still alive when he got to it.. Shoot him a pm.. He is a cool guy!! I have shot a lot of stuff with .22 cal. rifles from the Hornet through the .22 Cheetah.. I am never at ease shooting game with them.

My son-in-law had this same experience with a .308. Two through the lungs and a quarter mile later a finisher was necessary.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We used the Federal factory 55gr. which I think is made by Hornaday, these were pre-fusion loads. Out of around 8 deer only one made tracks and it went about 80 yards only. These worked so well never bothered to load up any dedicated deer loads.

I also shot about six deer with the 17 Rem. all were drt's except one Doe ran about 100 yards. That one was an on the shoulder shot and the bullet shattered on the scapula but shrapnel made it through and did considerable damage mostly to the onside lung. These were the original Rem. factory loads that were reputed to be bonded.

I usually reserve the calibers smaller than 6mm for youth hunters and culling as you do need to be a little more selective in shot placement with them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
65 grain Sierra started at 2880 fps and through a small deer shoulder and heart at 160 yards. Didn't make it 15 yards.

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The 70g TSX is a long bullet and will crown the engine room. The 62g TSX is a better choice. The added velocity never hurts with a mono bullet.

Powder Valley still has some Silver State Armory 62g TSX ammo in the Special section for $15 a box.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nosler 64gr Bonded Solid Base works great. Punched through both shoulders of this 110+ pound doe at 120yds with a quarter size exit. Shot with my 8" twist .223AI.

[Linked Image]

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by Grand
The 70g TSX is a long bullet and will crown the engine room. The 62g TSX is a better choice. The added velocity never hurts with a mono bullet.

That is my thinking exactly, especially since the Tikka magazine limits the OAL. I did find some 62 gr TSX locally, and will switch to them. Thier book velocity is 3100 fps rather than 2800 for the 70's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I went to buy 62, I couldn't find any so I bought the 70s. Last year my second oldest shot his first deer with the load and it only made it a few steps.

Last years pics: (I've posted this before on a similar thread.)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This picture is from two weeks ago. It is my eleven -year-old daughter's first deer. SHe was shooting seated and using a tripod. Muzzle velocity was 2650. I haven't looked up impact velocity, but the deer was crossing the field at 335 yards. The bullet took him behind the shoulder. He ran about 50 yards, leaving a very heavy blood trail. HE stopped to look at us and was tippy. SHe hit him again under the chin while he was looking at us.

When we cleaned him, the lungs were wrecked and there was a quarter size exit. So, in my limited experience, I have been impressed with the 70 Barnes.
[Linked Image]

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
utah, T shot several animals this fall with the .223 and 62 gr.. His final doe antelope shot though the lungs. It ran three hundred yards and was still alive when he got to it.. Shoot him a pm.. He is a cool guy!! I have shot a lot of stuff with .22 cal. rifles from the Hornet through the .22 Cheetah.. I am never at ease shooting game with them.

I've seen heart shot deer make 300 yards...

Some die quick, others have tenacity... plunk any bullet in good vitals, in the center and most all deer die. Pretty simple.

BTW if you wnat bigger holes, go to a larger gun and this thing they call a ballistic tip. Though I've never lost antyhing to a barnes of ANY flavor ever....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as 223s and deer go, I use the 70 TSXs exclusively. Have shot nearly completely lengthwise through 2 deer with them. They work better than well IME........

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice to see the youth pounding the deer !

I've shot 2 deer and a hand full of pigs and many coyotes with the 62 TSX via 223AI. All have been bang flops !

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot several deer with the 53gr TSX and the 62gr TTSX and both done great but I loaded the 64gr BSB for my daughter in case she made a less than perfect shot and I knew they would expand and penetrate leaving a larger exit.

The 53gr TSX was impressive on this small buck at 70yds going IIRC 3,400+ ft/s out of my .223AI. At the shot he took two steps forward then tried to do a back flip DRT.

Entrance
[Linked Image]

Exit
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TN deer hunter; 11/17/16.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Why not just use a deer cartridge in the first place?

Oh deer (pun), here we go... all these are deceased via .223, all one shot. (Mind you, the boy can shoot)

I've shot a truckload of deer with a .223 using various projectiles with no issues. Having said that, projectile choice is important. We've had best success with the 63 grain Sierra, 70 grain Speer and 64 grain Nosler bonded (which is currently flavour of the month, because we've only shot around 6 deer with it and that's a small sample size for us, but it's looking good so far).

I have no experience with Barnes projectiles, however with a .233 the answer is location, location, location (placement, placement, placement).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MikeNZ; 11/17/16. Reason: Added projectile info.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.