Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I bought a bunch and will have them on our website next week for $879.99.

I like the No. 1's. I hate seeing some of this stuff go by the wayside...
I just looked and note that you already have a few for $879.99, 1B in 6.5 CM, 1V .243, 1A in 7-08, 7.62x39 and .280, 1S etc.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dogzapper
First, they had about a dozen (maybe more) brand-new Number Ones in their Gun Library. I'd not expected to see that many.

Secondly, the wood was BROWN ... that's about all it was. Absolutely grainless brown wood that looked for all the world like it was painted a baby-crap brown.

Hey Steve!!

I was in Cabela's in Springfield a month or so ago. Same situation. They had a #1 RSI in .257 Roberts among the pile which I started to lust over but that stock ... ewwww. Looked like molded / cast plastic faux-wood painted exactly the color your describe. I left without it.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
some of them are getting pretty spendy

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/599360253

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
some of them are getting pretty spendy

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/599360253

Jesus Christ...I have the twin to that one that I bought about 4 years ago for less than $900.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, they gonna get spendy.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I'm probably going to sell my Philip Reeb double rifle (Cased 8X57 incredibly engraved, original scope, etc), so I dropped into Cabela's in Tualatin, OR about a week ago. I'm still undecided whether to sell it to them or not. It's easy, but I'd probably be leaving $$$$ on the counter.

Anyway ....

I was frankly surprised by their Ruger Number Ones on four counts.

First, they had about a dozen (maybe more) brand-new Number Ones in their Gun Library. I'd not expected to see that many.

Secondly, the wood was BROWN ... that's about all it was. Absolutely grainless brown wood that looked for all the world like it was painted a baby-crap brown.

Thirdly, the wood-to-metal fit was ... let's be nice; inferior.

And finally, I dropped the lever on two of them and the feel was "gritty."

I bought a new 1KA in .257 Roberts a couple of years ago and it is a magnificent rendition of the wonderful rifle we all love ... The Ruger Number One.

Apparently, those days are over and it came about rapidly.

As the OP said, it is a SAD DAY, a sad day, indeed.

Blessings to All of You and have a Great Thanksgiving.

Steve

That's what gets me, they seemed like they knew where their remaining market was and planned to specifically target it, but then missed by a mile. They realized the #1 wasn't going to sell in numbers sufficient to warrant standard production but that collectors and hard core rifle loonys would still buy limited editions in one-of caliber offerings.

But those same people, collectors and hard core loonys, place a premium on aesthetics and build quality which they totally screwed up. I bought one of last year's 1S models in 30-06 and the only really nice thing I can say about it is that was nicely accurate - not one ragged hole accurate but certainly sub-MOA. But the wood quality and color was as you describe, baby-crap brown, and the wood to metal fit would have shamed a first year Remlin 336.

They're still one of the most graceful looking rifles in profile ever built and I'm sorry to see them stopping production, but to have marked the target so well and then missed so badly is just sad.

That said, if Whittaker's has something interesting for $879 I might just put one last toe in the #1 water... wink

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The two I wish I had bought when they were making them were the 1-S .475 Linebaugh and the 1-V 6.5-284. Actually, the one I kick myself the most for not buying was the .475 Turnbull when Davidson's closed them out for $699.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Indeed. Soon, anything with a wood stock will be a classic.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After having a few of each, I've come to prefer the Browning versions of the 1885s, but some of the Rugers, especially the SS walnut versions, are especially appealing to me. One of these days, opportunity and resources are going to align and I'll jump in again.

I expect a temporary price jump on GB and the like, but eventually things should settle down to normal, except for the hardcore sellers that think everything they have is made of gold.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Pappy348
After having a few of each, I've come to prefer the Browning versions of the 1885s, but some of the Rugers, especially the SS walnut versions, are especially appealing to me. One of these days, opportunity and resources are going to align and I'll jump in again.

I was looking at a 223 stainless/walnut No1 at cableas. Not to say shopping, just looking. I liked that combination. That is one of the new guns cabelas still stocks.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
The two I wish I had bought when they were making them were the 1-S .475 Linebaugh and the 1-V 6.5-284. Actually, the one I kick myself the most for not buying was the .475 Turnbull when Davidson's closed them out for $699.

Yeah, I'd like to have the Linebaugh as a companion to revolvers.

But I did score a Turnbull. The funny story about them is that the guy I bought it from had never fired it, and given its rarity (less than 100 made) I was thinking of just putting it back in the safe as an investment. But the previous owner lost the box, so after a while I decided to shoot it. It is pheonomenal, the most accurate big bore I have ever seen.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BigSkyGuy
Well, you know me...

If there is a bad decision to be made, rest assured I will jump all over it like a dog on a bone!!!

Don't feel bad. I sold one recently as well.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I bought a bunch and will have them on our website next week for $879.99.

I like the No. 1's. I hate seeing some of this stuff go by the wayside...
I just looked and note that you already have a few for $879.99, 1B in 6.5 CM, 1V .243, 1A in 7-08, 7.62x39 and .280, 1S etc.

More in route. I had them mark down current inventory as well.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am sorry, but; I dont follow all this real close. Can I have a site or link to shortactionsmoker listing?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://shop.whittakerguns.com/

Roll the cursor over Firearms > Rifles > N-Z, then you have to scroll through the rifles to find the #1's. It helps to choose to sort by either name or price.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Oh, Whittaker. I know them. Excellent smile

thank you

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute

Probably truer than we think. Sad.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by rifletom
Originally Posted by 1minute

Probably truer than we think. Sad.

Plastic is cheaper than wood and stainless/synthetic is more practical. You are going to see a lot of plastic sales for one reason or the other. In spite of that, I believe the new Winchester and the old CZ are both doing a strong business in blue steel and walnut rifles. The Winchester is little higher priced while CZ is very reasonable. I consider both to be offering products at a fair value.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They're on there now. Just click the Black Friday tab at the top. A few others are in the mix too. They can be found by searching for Ruger.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sad to see No.1 production end, but not too surprised. A business exists to turn a profit, so you can hardly blame Ruger. Make more of what sells best, and turns a profit, and drop the products that don't. Simple as that. I'll be hanging on to the No.1's in my safe.

Jeff

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 14 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.