Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
Something like this. I chose a Ruger Predator in 308, but any short barreled lightweight bolt gun in most any modern cartridge will do. This weighs 6 3/4 lbs; less scoped than my lever 30-30's do with irons. With the scope on 1X it is faster to get on target and the optics make it easier to pick up game in poor light. On 4X it'll keep 3 shots under 1" at 200 yards.

I like a 308, 243, 6.5, 7-08, etc over traditional brush cartridges. Even at close range trajectory matters in brush. Bullets will be no more than 1" above or below line of sight from the muzzle to 120-130 yards and only about 2" low at 200 yards. Makes it easier to thread bullets through baseball size openings in brush.

[Linked Image]

I'm a long time user of leveractions for this type of work but am interested in putting something together very similar to the rifle above.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by okie john
I hunt in thick brush in western Washington. The most important thing is that the rifle has to fit you--when you bring it up, you should see the crosshairs superimposed over whatever you were looking at without having to wiggle around or shift anything. Okie John
I beg to differ. That's the second most important. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is that the rifle have enough weight and the correct balance to hold steady for offhand shooting and swing smoothly for shots at moving game. It also needs a light, crisp trigger so as to get those offhand shots off at precisely the right instant those crosshairs are pasted in the sweet spot. I've primarily hunted thick woods and brush for over 40 years and exclusively for the last 20. I've killed over 150 deer in that environment, on the ground and on my feet. Over the years I've tried about every damn rifle there is at one time or another and you won't find any of these lightweight or flyweight rigs in my woods rifle collection today. What I do use would all be considered at least mid weight and some run to the heavy side. Lightweight portability is of far less relavence than the fact that I can consistently put my bullets in a 2" circle at 65 yards offhand and I'd like to see how many of these guys on here could do that with the ultra light rifles they seem so fond of. Particularly when their heart rate is at least slightly elevated from the exertion and excitement of the hunt. I'd bet heavy coin not very damned many.

You got me. I stand corrected. My rifle had those things and I overlooked them.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here in the Northeast you don't have to go far to find thick woods. I hunted with leverguns, in particular Marlins in just about every configuration and caliber they made. They worked well and then started shooting and hunting with lighter weight bolt actions, especially in a carbine version and have never looked back. Good balance with a little weight forward that fits you well. As for cartridge, I use to believe in the bigger is better and the learned a a good bullet from .243-.308 in the right place takes them down just as quick. Favorite being a 7mm-08. For speed on follow up shots, its amazing how fast you can work a bolt action when adrenaline is pumping and deer are running

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about a 30-30 or a 35 Remington?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
All over the place on this one...

Deer in the brush says to me:

A compact bolt rifle like Rem 7 7-08 with Leupold 1.5-5 Heavy Duplex.

or

Rem 722 300 Sav with receiver sight.

No need for medium bores. Just deer? 223, 22-250, 243.

2013 Whitetail rifle thread

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Remmy 760/7600 in 35 Rem ought to do it well, just make sure you get lits of practice shooting rabbits with an 870 prior to deer season šŸ˜€

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by micro240
I am looking to add to my gun cabinet with a rifle that will be used for whitetail deer hunting at close range in thick cover. Think maximum of 75 meter shots and often at moving deer. The two I am considering the most are the Tikka Battue Lite and the Browning BLR. Caliber will be likely be 7mm-08 or 308 - both are offered in it.

Any and all opinions welcome. I have primarily been a bowhunter and am slowly transitioning into the rifle hunting world.

You lost me at "75 meter".....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Close range/thick brush...this is what I use.

[Linked Image]

If I was buying new I'd give the Mossberg 464 a look. I've handled a couple and they seem to be dandy little rifles.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do pƭči
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TomM1
Remmy 760/7600 in 35 Rem ought to do it well, just make sure you get lits of practice shooting rabbits with an 870 prior to deer season šŸ˜€

Or in an 06 or 308, they kill as good close as they do longer ranges wink

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Just to keep the discussion going, another option would be a Ruger Mini 30.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But what happens if you have to make a long shot with a close range rifle? Or a close shot with a long range rifle? Or a timber shot with a bean field rifle? Or a bean field shot with tree stand rifle? Or a ground blind shot with a truck rifle? Or a husband shot with a wife rifle? Or a wife shot with a kids rifle? Or an expensive shot with a budget rifle? Or a light rifle shot with a heavy rifle? Or a rainy shot with a blued rifle? Or a varmint shot with a dangerous game rifle?

Quite a conundrum....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 16bore
But what happens if you have to make a long shot with a close range rifle? Or a close shot with a long range rifle? Or a timber shot with a bean field rifle? Or a bean field shot with tree stand rifle? Or a ground blind shot with a truck rifle? Or a husband shot with a wife rifle? Or a wife shot with a kids rifle? Or an expensive shot with a budget rifle? Or a light rifle shot with a heavy rifle? Or a rainy shot with a blued rifle? Or a varmint shot with a dangerous game rifle?

Quite a conundrum....

Not really an issue. Just pick the best tool for the job at hand and stay within it's limitations and your own abilities.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by TomM1

Or in an 06 or 308, they kill as good close as they do longer ranges wink

True dat' I just have a penchant for 35 Rem pumps, ideal platform for the 35...

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Just to throw something out there: here in Northwest Louisiana, the cover is very much like it is in East Texas. By that I mean thick, heavy, dense pine forest. This requires a rifle that is small and maneuverable as well as powerful enough to drop a deer or a pig fast, as it's a pain in the rear to track them down through the undergrowth. Shots are rarely more than 60-70 yards. I use an H&R Handi Rifle in .444 Marlin for most of my hunting in such conditions. Topped with a fixed 2.5 power Leupold, and with a pretty short overall length, it's the perfect brush boppin' gun. I don't have to worry about it being anything fancy that I'm dragging through the pine boughs, and it forces me to value each and every shot, since it's a single shot. The .444 is way more than enough for medium sized whitetails, and in fact, cast bullets will punch right on through, so bullet choice is important. I like the setup a lot for what it is, and it does exactly what I ask of it (which is the same thing you seem to be describing). I'm not comfortable with it past about 120 yards, honestly. For the sake of comparison, another of my rigs is a Remington 700 chambered in 308 Win. It's got a Leupold 2-7x33 on it. It's a much longer rifle, and it's got more weight than the H&R. Obviously the 308 is a terrific cartridge and it's got enough "ummph" to bag most North American game at pretty respectable distances. Now then, I have toted the 700 around the woods and does it work for deer at 60-70 yards? You betcha. Does it work for deer at ranges out to 200 yards or even farther? Also yes. Is it in general a more versatile weapon than a single shot shorty in 444 Marlin? Heck yeah. If you choose a long, heavy 30 caliber bullet, it has plenty of energy out of the muzzle and under 100 yards, just like the 444 does. So, even with the 308, bullet choice can be very important and make a big difference. Basically, I prefer the 444 Marlin for the kind of shooting you're talking about, but with some smart load development, there won't be any noticeable terminal issues with using a 308 instead. Despite being a bit longer, it's by no means impossible to tote a Remington 700 through even the nastiest cover. The added benefit is being able to have a little extra versatility in case you get the chance to take some longer shots on deer/hogs or to try popping some 'yotes at longer ranges. You won't go wrong with it. However, if you're certain that you won't be doing anything like that or if you already have a rifle to do that kind of shooting (in other words, you're looking for a completely dedicated short-range deer rifle) you cannot possibly go wrong with a straight walled big-bore cartridge of some kind or another. Short barrels won't significantly hurt ballistics and they pack the up-close energy to drop any deer in its tracks in heavy woods.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Quite a conundrum....

Not really an issue. Just pick the best tool for the job at hand and stay within it's limitations and your own abilities.

I didn't think it was all that difficult. And nobody has mentioned scopes yet....

Or is it open sights? Or peep sighs? Or a red dot?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Quite a conundrum....

I didn't think it was all that difficult. And nobody has mentioned scopes yet....

Or is it open sights? Or peep sighs? Or a red dot?

See through rings. Allows the use of iron sights as well as the 6-24x50 AO scope which has an extra ring with small pic that a red dot mounts to above. Needs to be quick detach for the fixed 2.5x backup scope.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Quite a conundrum....

TFF.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am looking to add to my gun cabinet with a rifle that will be used for whitetail deer hunting at close range in thick cover. Think maximum of 75 meter shots and often at moving deer. The two I am considering the most are the Tikka Battue Lite and the Browning BLR. Caliber will be likely be 7mm-08 or 308 - both are offered in it.

Any and all opinions welcome. I have primarily been a bowhunter and am slowly transitioning into the rifle hunting world.

I'd be hunting with an AR.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by deflave

I'd be hunting with an AR.

Clark

Arkansas?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,664
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.