Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
How about a Remmy 742 carbine in aught 6?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
See through mounts are great when your blister pack Bushnell quits working.

Just came in from hunting after a few drinks with a bud. Read this and LMAO. What a grin.

No offense to the OP. It is a nice rifle. And the older Jap Bushnells very under rated scopes. Nothing wrong with them either.

I have thrown out more see thru rings than I can recall. From scopes I mounted for people who "caught on". Anyone who wants some see thrus let me know. There is still a pile of them here that I never got around to disposing of....

I hope I read that wrong. If I did, I apologize. If I read it correctly and you hunted after a few drinks, I'm glad I wasn't around as I have seen these scenarios and sometimes they don't end well. But, again, if I read it wrong I apologize.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by micro240
I am looking to add to my gun cabinet with a rifle that will be used for whitetail deer hunting at close range in thick cover. Think maximum of 75 meter shots and often at moving deer. The two I am considering the most are the Tikka Battue Lite and the Browning BLR. Caliber will be likely be 7mm-08 or 308 - both are offered in it.

Any and all opinions welcome. I have primarily been a bowhunter and am slowly transitioning into the rifle hunting world.

Me and the buddies use to have this conversation at Deer Camp, in No Wisconsin.. where we hunted a lot of thick cover and swamp...

After enough hunting it, I came to the conclusion the best firearm for thick cover isn't a rifle at all...

I come to the conclusion the answer was a good 12 gauge pump with a magazine of 8 deer slugs in it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by micro240
I am looking to add to my gun cabinet with a rifle that will be used for whitetail deer hunting at close range in thick cover. Think maximum of 75 meter shots and often at moving deer. The two I am considering the most are the Tikka Battue Lite and the Browning BLR. Caliber will be likely be 7mm-08 or 308 - both are offered in it.

Any and all opinions welcome. I have primarily been a bowhunter and am slowly transitioning into the rifle hunting world.

Me and the buddies use to have this conversation at Deer Camp, in No Wisconsin.. where we hunted a lot of thick cover and swamp...

After enough hunting it, I came to the conclusion the best firearm for thick cover isn't a rifle at all...

I come to the conclusion the answer was a good 12 gauge pump with a magazine of 8 deer slugs in it...

Why is that? Honestly interested in why it works better for you.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 11/21/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As the OP asked, the Tikka is a very good choice in 308, I generally hunt in thick laurel and timber. A 75 yard shot is long. I carry a Sako Finnlight because the barrel is not long to get caught up in the brush and it is on the light side. It is also stainless and synthetic, and that helps with the wet underbrush, and bumps and bruised as I slip and fall every hunt. The bolt locks in place so I don't lose a round when it gets tangled up. I started out a zillion years ago with a Marlin 336 in 35 rem, and it flattened many deer.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's what I hunted with at Ft Bragg when I was a kid...
and it worked pretty darn well... with Deer Slugs or Double Ought Buckshot...

used it several times in Wisconsin in swamps with success...

Seemed to work in thick cover better than my 30/06 with 220 grain RNs did...

so I use to carry both my 06 and my Rem 870 with me deer hunting in Wisconsin and MN... used the 870 when I went into brush on deer drives...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

so I use to carry both my 06 and my Rem 870 with me deer hunting in Wisconsin and MN... used the 870 when I went into brush on deer drives...

Just wondering if it had anything to do with the shotgun's quick handling capability.

My theory is that a brush gun should come to your shoulder like a fine upland shotgun. I have found that it is possible with a rifle but it needs to be set up correctly and fit you perfectly.

After having spent my youth with southern dog hunters my conclusion is that way too many deer are never recovered when shot with buckshot. I know it's 99% the hunters fault for shooting too far, but that is never a concern with the close range rifle.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Marlin 30-30 336C. Small, little lever action perfect for close quarters and follow up shots if you need 'em. Guess I'm a little partial since it was my first deer rifle.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own a number of good useable calibers for deer and even larger game...30-30, 25-06, 7mm-08, 300 Win Mag and a 9.3x62. Hands down, my favorite deer rifle is my Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 358 Winchester. I would not hesitate to use it in brush or at longer range at up to 300 yards for deer and up to 225 to 250 yards for elk. Using a stout load of Ramshot TAC with 225 grain Nosler Partitions, I have a lot of confidence in this rifle.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just posted a picture of my Remington 141 in 35 Remington in another thread and then saw this one. It was made for this type of hunting! The 141, to me, is one of the fastest handling and easiest pointing rifles made. I use it hunting whitetails in close cover where a long shot would be 50 yards and most will be under 30. The 35 Remington is a great cartridge for deer up to 150 yards without being over kill.

[Linked Image]

Harry
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I own a number of good useable calibers for deer and even larger game...30-30, 25-06, 7mm-08, 300 Win Mag and a 9.3x62. Hands down, my favorite deer rifle is my Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 358 Winchester. I would not hesitate to use it in brush or at longer range at up to 300 yards for deer and up to 225 to 250 yards for elk. Using a stout load of Ramshot TAC with 225 grain Nosler Partitions, I have a lot of confidence in this rifle.

Much wisdom here. My .358 is a Model 7. I have killed a bunch of blacktail with the 200 grain Hornady SP, which is a wicked little ashtray, and a bunch with the 225 Partition You are spot-on with the TAC recommendation; it ends the compressed-loads stuff.

I had tremendous success with RL-7 and 200's, easily driving them to 2650 fps with eternal brass life and no pressure signs. Also no powder compression.

The 225 Partition isn't going to jelly lungs and so on. It makes a big, polite hole through the deer and is easy on the meat. The 200 Horn SP is going to smack them harder. Either works great. The 225 NP has a usable BC that lets you stretch it into a 300-yard plus rifle if you choose to do that. No way with the 200 Horn- it's a butterfly in the wind!

The 225 Sierra is a good practice stand-in for the 225 NP. Sierra told me it was too hard for .358. I haven't used it on game.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nothing wrong with a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington for quick, close range hunting. Maybe add an X S Sight (ghost ring) and you are ready to go. I've got those on my 45-70 and they are quick.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
A marlin carbine in 35 Rem. would be the cats ass.

this^

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Just wondering if it had anything to do with the shotgun's quick handling capability.

My theory is that a brush gun should come to your shoulder like a fine upland shotgun. I have found that it is possible with a rifle but it needs to be set up correctly and fit you perfectly.

After having spent my youth with southern dog hunters my conclusion is that way too many deer are never recovered when shot with buckshot. I know it's 99% the hunters fault for shooting too far, but that is never a concern with the close range rifle.

Well that old 870 sure does come up easily also.. and probably quicker than a bolt action 06...

but I think at the time, I really don't think about it.... kinda the same way you are too busy aiming at a deer, to feel the recoil of it when in the field...

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
This year for me my "close range" deer rifle will be a Marlin 1895 in .40-65 or a Winchester 94 Eastern Carbine in 25-35. In the past I've used .30-30s, 35 Remingtons, .375 Winchester, .45-70, 7.62X39, 6.8SPC, .223s, 22-250, .250 Savages, .358 Winchesters (one was Remington 760 carbine rechambered), 30-40 Krags, .350 Remington Magnum, Shotguns (buckshot or slugs, whatever was available) of course two old standbys 270 & 30-06 etc....)- guess the point being pretty much anything will work and work well if you can get the projectile(s) there. It is more about what you feel comfortable with.

Good Luck!
PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 11/23/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great loony thread!

Were money no object, I'd love to run a Blaser R8 Professional Tracking model in 9.3x62. Use an Aimpoint T1 w 2-MOA dot.

If I really wanted a light walkabout crusher, a Beretta 1301 Tactical w RDS and stuffed w Brennekes would work.

In all honesty that RAR Ranch in .450 Bushmaster could have been used on 90 percent of the deer I've killed.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

The 225 Sierra is a good practice stand-in for the 225 NP. Sierra told me it was too hard for .358. I haven't used it on game.

I've never noticed them being too hard when using my .358.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Absolutely noting wrong with a Merkel K1 in my favorite, 7x57.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Joe
Absolutely noting wrong with a Merkel K1 in my favorite, 7x57.

I really like the concept of the K1. I have never handled one but just by looks it seems to have way too much drop in that stock. I think I would like it a lot with a straighter stock so I could mount a 1-5X or 1-6X down low and have good cheek weld.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I'm planning on pussyfooting around in close cover (like I did today) I will grab my late uncle's pre-64 M94 in 32 Spl. with a peep site with a large aperture. It's light, very maneuverable, easy to carry in one hand and just plain fun to carry. As an added benefit, it a connection to the past and for me these days, that's as important as shooting a deer.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.