Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Huntz
I use Safari with no problems.
Hard to believe. You must lead a charmed life.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
. and it took quite some time to figure out how to get rid of it.

I'm not good enough at messing with computers to dig into one and pick out a piece of malware. But I've found that doing an advanced system restore that takes the configuration of your computer back to when it was initially purchased will get rid of anything that wasn't there on the day you bought it.

The down side is, it gets rid of files that you may want to keep. That's a problem for some but not much for me. I've only got some photos and a few small shareware programs on my computer. But I keep copies of the photos stored on photobucket and I can always download another copy of the sharewear I like.

I'm sure there's some malware and virus' out there that can overcome an advanced system restore, but usually, it will get rid of everything that wasn't on your hard drive on day 1.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Go to Norton's site & download Norton Power Eraser, download it & run it........it's free & it's pretty effective against rootkit issues such as it sounds like you may have.

MM

This seems like the best suggestion in the thread.

Also, make sure your anti-virus is up to date, and run Malwarebytes or similar, and Ccleaner .

As always...clear your cookies.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Go to Norton's site & download Norton Power Eraser, download it & run it........it's free & it's pretty effective against rootkit issues such as it sounds like you may have.

MM

This seems like the best suggestion in the thread.

Also, make sure your anti-virus is up to date, and run Malwarebytes or similar, and Ccleaner .

As always...clear your cookies.

Never do any of that and never had a problem. Once again, your OS is the problem.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't like anything Norton puts out, his crap is next to impossible to remove if you don't want it and it loads a lot of unwanted crap that you never see.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My old HP has the same and runs just fine here...never had any problems.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by KFWA
I've thought about another browser, but I'm partial to Mozilla because I have alot of add-ons that are only written for Firefox.

Its not that big of a deal to me, but I use to roll my eyes at the guys that came on here complaining about this site and just would use the typical response - get an ad blocker

but whatever this is its bypassing my ad block.

I'll try the virus piece someone mentioned above.

KFWA you might take a look at either Pale Moon or Brave for a browser.
Pale Moon is able to use a lot of the same stuff as FireFox.
Brave was started by the guy that got booted from Mozilla for donating to a non pc cause. I use them both and like them.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
good to know, I'll check it out

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Pale Moon is such a close copy of Firefox it actually reports to websites as Firefox although there is a way to shut that off. It's farther along in development then Brave, personally I prefer Brave more it seems a little faster.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I was having the same issues as the OP! I tried various suggestions from other campfire members! I use an Acer tablet. I finally removed all ad block, and PC anti virus type add on's! Went into settings and reset to the original settings! Since doing this I have had zero issues! What is interesting only campfire seemed to affected, no other forums acted up or gave me the messages, and pop ups! I suggest trying resetting to the basics if all else fails! My computer is not used for forum chat, only business!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is the reason you consider their security patch to be malware?

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You're not using any antivirus?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I travel I use a Samsung Notebook.

This site has on two occasions 'locked up' the Notebook with a popup window that reported my Notebook was 'infected' with a virus. It was a tenacious popup and the only remedy I found was to turn off the Notebook. The popup reported the correct device, "Your Samsung Notebook... "

I browse a goodly bit with that Notebook when I'm away from home and THIS SITE is the only place that has caused the particular "You're infected" lockup. Coincidental, maybe... I'd offer there is a strong correlation.

I found an effective solution of course in that I deleted the 24 Hour Campfire bookmark from the Chrome browser and no longer visit this site from the Notebook.... Problem solved.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
This the only site that gives my computer problems--just like the ones you describe.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
What is the reason you consider their security patch to be malware?

look up the patch,not real. its malware

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Firefox and Ad Blocker/Ad Blocker+ for years with absolutely no complaints.

Do any of you consider the fact that where you go on the internet besides here might be bringing something here.

Know your "girl friends" well before you drop your pants.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F

Never do any of that and never had a problem. Once again, your OS is the problem.

Not everyone wants to put up with all the quirkiness of Linux & most here would have difficulty getting it up & running.

Besides, if your computer & Windows (or Mac) are set up correctly, there is not much of an issue unless you just want to run Linux to be different & think of yourself as a "purist", but when it does work, it can work well; I've used it from time to time.

Been running windows since it began on multiple computers with no real issues........ a hiccup now & then but nothing serious.

Lots of people do lot of things wrong & have no clue other than turning a computer on & off.

Originally Posted by RJL53
Don't like anything Norton puts out, his crap is next to impossible to remove if you don't want it and it loads a lot of unwanted crap that you never see.

Not really, at least not with any of the more recent versions. I'm not using it right now, but the newest versions of Norton AntiVirus or 360 have a small footprint & are very effective. My biggest issue with them is that all their customer service & support is in India & that can either be OK or really bad sometimes.

The Norton Power Eraser that I recommended above, is a single purpose standalone & will only run on command.........it's a very powerful tool for use on problem computers.

As of right now, I use Webroot, MalwareBytes, Super-AntiSpyware & a couple of other specifically tasked programs such as NPE mentioned above..........on 6 computers.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should have added that I'm using Ghostery as well.

Comodo Dragon is also a great browser & is generally faster than FF; it's a Google Chrome derivative but it doesn't report info up as Chrome does.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
. It makes me wonder if Google is putting crap on Firefox to discourage people from using it.

LMAO... NObody (or no company) needs to try to discourage me from using FF... That pos browser cost me no end of hassle and work to restore files.. BTDT, NA..

Comodo Dragon is also a great browser & is generally faster than FF; it's a Google Chrome derivative but it doesn't report info up as Chrome does.

MM
Never knew that one.. Will check it out.. Thanks MM..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a link to downloading Comodo Dragon.

Comodo Dragon Download

MM

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.