Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You've heard there's no stupid questions... That's deplorable.

Buying a Redding BR3, pursuing not weighing each charge. I do love my Chargemaster but on larger batches it's leaving me twittling my thumbs.

Sooo, do you dump into a pan, dump that into the funnel (sitting on a case on a stationary tray), move the funnel, repeat? Or can you, or do you, move the tray of cases under the measure dumping straight into the case? Maybe the tray is sliding around on the table under the measure, not freehand? Move funnel, slide, dump, move funnel, slide, dump... Or freehand, holding the tray with one hand and operating the measure with the other? Or what?

Trying to envision it and design a clamp-on powder measure stand for my multi-use bench. Sit down bench by the way. Only time I have used a dump was into a scale pan, set that on the scale, then trickle, then dump to the funnel on the case... I am not looking to do that. confused

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done it several ways. Depends on the size of the cases being charged. I generally leave the cases in the loading block and just move down the line of cases, from left to right. Charging directly into the case mouth.

Sometimes I will put each case individually under the thrower and charge directly into the case. Small caliber like 22-250 I will put a funnel on each case and charge directly into it.

I hold the loading block in my left hand and run the thrower with my right hand.

Last edited by tominboise; 11/19/16.

Regards,

Tom
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What he said ^

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like to pick up each empty case from the left side block with my left hand and hold it under the powder measure which I operate with my right hand. I stand when I reload and use an old stand mounted Redding Master powder measure 95% of the time. Holding each case lets me tip it slightly and individually inspect before I put it down in the right side block.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have done it both ways. Then either way I shine a light down into all the cases for a visual inspection.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I was taught in the beginning to charge a case-seat the bullet.

Slower. But even thinking about any other way gives me the twitches.

I still weigh each charge as well, at least with all but a few loads.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I pick up each case, charge, put into another block. After doing a batch, I look down over the block into each case to judge how full, and if they are all the same. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+2 on the visual inspection after charging. I use a flashlight and just run down the row inspecting with it.

Regards,

Tom
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
50 primed cases in the loading tray, throw the powder in all cases checking weight on every 10th case as I go.

Visually inspect with a light.

Bullets on the left, charged cases in the middle, empty loading tray right.
Grab a bullet, a case, seat, tray, continue.

If the powder doesn't throw consistently, I'll throw to the scale pan and trickle to weight, charging all 50 cases,
inspect and seat bullets as above.

I use an RCBS electronic measure for load development, 4 of this, 4 of that, 4 of the next.
Once I've got the weight, I throw and go.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I am seeing now that I can go directly into the case, handheld, no funnel needed (Odessa style). Simple, mount at the edge of the table.

I'll definitely take a look in the cases before seating.

colodog, That's exactly my plan, using both the Chargemaster and measure.

Great input folks - appreciate it! wink

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Done it all of the above. Of course the limiting factor is how well your powder meters. Some like IMR4831 won't throw consistently within a half grain, at least with my Uniflow. Then it is weigh each and dump in the funnel. Others are more consistent and only every 10th charge needs to be checked.
If a powder meters at .1 grain or less it is a candidate for the progressive if the number of loads warrants that (50 or more). With a consistent powder without using a progressive, holding the block in the left hand and running the measure with the right works fine.
Only exception is loading pistol with a hand held measure like a Lil Dandy, then the block stays on the bench and you can just move from case to case but you have to MAKE SURE you check for double charges when you are done.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 11/20/16.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
No matter which technique you use the last step should ALWAYS be inspecting with a light. I keep an LED desk lamp on my bench beside the powder measure, I run the loading block beneath the light checking for missed charges, double charges or any case whose powder charge doe not look like the rest.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I dump in pan for my rifle loads. I weigh each one of those. My pistol I dump into the brass. Weigh about every tenth one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image][/URL]

I drop into scale. Weigh each charge. Faster than you might think. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I made a point of using powders that didn't cause operational issues in my BR3, short stick powders were mostly OK, but had to be mindful of them. For the most part I was loading 760 or AA9, both worked excellently. But, I only use them for varmint rounds or in the Schuetzen rifles, where I am loading at the range or loading 100rds+ at a shot. For hunting rounds and small batches up to 50rds with stick powders, I use a scale and Lee dippers. I have a Chargemaster, very nice to use with stick powders,but, not really necessary, it is an extravagance. I always load from a LH block of prepped & primed brass to a Rh empty block, when it is full, I load from it to another empty block, checking each round for powder before seating a bullet.
You develop a feel with a powder thrower, you can feel an inconsistent throw and cull it right there. I can throw very consistently with all but the longer stick powders, that is why I don't use them in a thrower. It is easier to use the scale or the Chargemaster on those.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My thanks to all that have replied. Much appreciated!

--- Kid Rock 2022

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by MILES58
I was taught in the beginning to charge a case-seat the bullet.

I still weigh each charge as well, at least with all but a few loads.

I was taught the same way and after 40yrs still do it this way, weighing every charge. No way I can change now.

MILES58 must have had the same teacher. grin

Last edited by K22; 11/23/16.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by K22

I was taught the same way and after 40yrs still do it this way, weighing every charge. No way I can change now.

MILES58 must have had the same teacher. grin

Even when I load a bunch of plinking ammo with a good measure and a wide safety margin and powder that meters well, it's still charge a case-seat a bullet. In sixty years of loading my own, I have never charged a more than one case at a time, much less a whole block.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Finally got around to this. Copied and modified an adjustable mount I saw on Ebay but with more overkill. It swivels, spins, and slides out to change powder. Should work in multiple bench configurations which was the goal. Yes - welding is not my strongpoint, but, I webbed the hell out of it. grin

Appreciate those that posted.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Did you consider thicker flanges?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,539
Posts18,453,081
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.