Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Monday after Thanksgiving, the orange army invades the hills, hollers, and field of Pennsylvania as deer season opens. I can't wait to hit the woods. Good luck to all the men and women headed out in search of the Turdy Point Buck. We got a call from one of the locals up by our camp last week telling us they are occasionally seeing elk in our area now, as the herd expands and moves west. Man, it would be cool to see one.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes Sir, this will be my last year as a PA resident, moving to FL in January, then I will be one of those non-resident goofs who comes back every year.

Good luck all and stay safe.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm headed back. I'll be hunting just across the state line in Ohio.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I'm headed back. I'll be hunting just across the state line in Ohio.
Where at Bob? I'm originally from the Youngstown area.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was getting the gear out tonight. Talked to Dad, the neighbor got a nice 8 point with the crossbow and also saw a good 6 point and a 10 in the area.

Got some Thanksgiving traveling lined up but the good Lord willing, I'll be out there next Monday morning.

The ground is white here in Somerset, probably won't last but one can hope.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Are we going to match up Dale, or is the itinerary filled?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up just outside Pittsburgh in the early 70's. We use to hunt in Bedford County back then. My brother now lives in Ohio, we hunt in Belmont County, Ohio. He has a cabin at Piedmont Reservoir near Freeport. I kind of like hunting with my 870 using rifled slugs.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I grew up just outside Pittsburgh in the early 70's. We use to hunt in Bedford County back then. My brother now lives in Ohio, we hunt in Belmont County, Ohio. He has a cabin at Piedmont Reservoir near Freeport. I kind of like hunting with my 870 using rifled slugs.
Slingin' those flying ashtrays huh? Lots of fun, but not on the shooter's shoulder.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOL--I have my brother check it at the range before season. I fly in from Colorado & only pull the trigger at a deer. It doesn't kick at all for me. Bob

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

good luck guys. I had the wind taken a bit out of my sails Friday when I got home and found these two in my pond locked together.

I've been hunting that big one for 3 years. and have had him within bow rage 4 times, just couldn't get him to clear. I'll admit to crying when I saw him

however we were able to purchase the racks from the almighty overlords of the PGC and he is getting mounted

[Linked Image]

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
LOL--I have my brother check it at the range before season. I fly in from Colorado & only pull the trigger at a deer. It doesn't kick at all for me. Bob
Smart man! I always shot the shotgun last. I've switched over from a 12 ga. 870 with rifled slugs to a little Mossy 500 with a rifled barrel and sabots. World of difference on the recoil.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll be carrying my dad's Savage 99. It's my brother's gun now, but he never carries it. He's got a 788 chambered for 6 mm that's lights out on whitetails. I still holding out hope that he hands the 99 down to me some day. Man, Dad shot a lot of deer with that gun.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed my 1st deer with a 300 Savage 99. That was back in 1971. It was my Uncle's rifle, plan on getting it back from my nephew one of these days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck all! Ill be headin to camp friday. Havent been up since spring gobbler, Lyme has been kickin my ass. But dad got a new double wide in to replace the old trailer so itll be like a new camp to me. Dont have much stamina, so ill be drivin a couple mile back an old loggin road and sittin my ass on a saddle watchin about 50yrds each way. Have one of them foldin chairs so ill just sit and relax. Got 2 there in recent yrs so maybe another will show up. If the 6mm barks ill cover him up and go for help, cant drag it myself any more. Gods been good, long as I can get out there, I will. Bring home a big one guys!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Flight's out tomorrow morning at 5:30 a.m. Dinner at my sis's house tomorrow, pick up the rental car first thing Friday, should be at camp by 1 p.m. Really feeling the call to return to my roots and get back on the hill again. Sure wish dad and the other members of the Old Guard were there to enjoy it with me. Rest in Peace, guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear about your Lyme trouble. I've pulled two of the little beggars off me in the last couple of years, but have been lucky (knock on wood) so far. My vet came down with that meat allergy from a Lone Star tick. No red meat until it clears out of his system!

Chair hunting can be good too. I watched two bucks chasing a doe from my chair Monday afternoon and it was a hoot, even though I couldn't shoot. Another guy hunting the property missed one of the bucks which was even better!

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by pahick
Good luck all! Ill be headin to camp friday. Havent been up since spring gobbler, Lyme has been kickin my ass. But dad got a new double wide in to replace the old trailer so itll be like a new camp to me. Dont have much stamina, so ill be drivin a couple mile back an old loggin road and sittin my ass on a saddle watchin about 50yrds each way. Have one of them foldin chairs so ill just sit and relax. Got 2 there in recent yrs so maybe another will show up. If the 6mm barks ill cover him up and go for help, cant drag it myself any more. Gods been good, long as I can get out there, I will. Bring home a big one guys!
That dang Lyme is pretty bad. Got it myself this year. Taking a loooong time. Tired all the time. Good luck out there!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Flight's out tomorrow morning at 5:30 a.m. Dinner at my sis's house tomorrow, pick up the rental car first thing Friday, should be at camp by 1 p.m. Really feeling the call to return to my roots and get back on the hill again. Sure wish dad and the other members of the Old Guard were there to enjoy it with me. Rest in Peace, guys.

Your excitement is contagious gopher! Reminds me when I was a boy, most kids couldnt sleep before christmas, I couldnt sleep before buck season. Even when I was in the military I would save my entire years worth of leave to come home for the month of December. I would hunt the 2nd week and stay for Christmas, usually flying out the day after. A few times I was deployed and couldnt make it, but oh'well, was the only times I missed it.

Im not sure why I get so amped up, I dont think Ive ever seen a buck the first day. I always have better success, once the pressure goes down and/or the deer wise up and get in the thick stuff. This year I have mixed feelings as I am moving away in January. I am bummed about possibly missing future hunting seasons but excited about the prospects of the move.

Good luck to you, IIRC you didnt make it back last year, just means the big one had another year to grow, shoot straight and good luck.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good luck to all.. I'll be in 2B with the Savage 220.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TomM1
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Your excitement is contagious gopher! Reminds me when I was a boy, most kids couldnt sleep before christmas, I couldnt sleep before buck season. Even when I was in the military I would save my entire years worth of leave to come home for the month of December. I would hunt the 2nd week and stay for Christmas, usually flying out the day after. A few times I was deployed and couldnt make it, but oh'well, was the only times I missed it.

Im not sure why I get so amped up, I dont think Ive ever seen a buck the first day. I always have better success, once the pressure goes down and/or the deer wise up and get in the thick stuff. This year I have mixed feelings as I am moving away in January. I am bummed about possibly missing future hunting seasons but excited about the prospects of the move.

Good luck to you, IIRC you didnt make it back last year, just means the big one had another year to grow, shoot straight and good luck.
Yeah, I missed last year. Even with owning my own camp, it's still not a cheap trip, at least for me. Camp's different these days. The guys across the trail from us have passed on or hung up the guns now. Really a shame. They were a great bunch of guys, and the last men around that knew my dad and our other members. I loved to sit over there with them and hear the stories. The camp sold a few years ago. The new guy is really nice, but it's just not the same. The old hillbilly that used to come up and visit with us, share meals, and swap stories died this year. The mountain is a different place. Lots of camps sit empty. Iconic names like Camp Misery, Bear's Den, and the Flying Dutchmen. The buildings are still there, but the men are all gone. There were 9 camps on our trail at one time, and a bus camper. It's down to 4 now. What a shame. So many kids just never took up hunting. Some of the kids from the across the trail built their own camp down by Clarion. They do pretty good down there. Sure do miss the big get togethers, the card games, the good natured ribbing. Helping each other track deer, and drag them in. It's definite a different experience nowadays.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

603 members (12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 67 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,296
Posts18,449,007
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.