Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I live at the foothills of SGL 13 and 57. The small towns at the bottom of the mountain used to become boom town's during hunting season (both bear and deer). There was a couple good restaurant/bars whose taxidermy decor would give a cabelas a good run per sq ft. We used to go for car rides around the camps on Sunday to see some of the deer hanging.

Now some of the camps have deteriorated, some kept up, and some turned into full time homes. One restaurant closed, the other is a mere shadow of what it used to be. Of the camps that remain for hunting, I see more trucks there during the last week in archery than in rifle season I think. There is still some bear driving that goes on, but for deer rifle season, you get some sitters for the first two days, then maybe the first Saturday, than thats it. It seems Buck-rifle inst the event it used to be, but still a pretty special day to me.

Not trying to be a negative Nellie, just annotating how its changed.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm double excited this year. First because I'm heading to PA tomorrow to hunt for two weeks and second because it looks like I'm going to be moving back permanently by the end of December.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TomM1
I live at the foothills of SGL 13 and 57. The small towns at the bottom of the mountain used to become boom town's during hunting season (both bear and deer). There was a couple good restaurant/bars whose taxidermy decor would give a cabelas a good run per sq ft. We used to go for car rides around the camps on Sunday to see some of the deer hanging.

Now some of the camps have deteriorated, some kept up, and some turned into full time homes. One restaurant closed, the other is a mere shadow of what it used to be. Of the camps that remain for hunting, I see more trucks there during the last week in archery than in rifle season I think. There is still some bear driving that goes on, but for deer rifle season, you get some sitters for the first two days, then maybe the first Saturday, than thats it. It seems Buck-rifle inst the event it used to be, but still a pretty special day to me.

Not trying to be a negative Nellie, just annotating how its changed.

There is still some spectacular pheseant hunting there though

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, absolutely! Its hard for me to sit in a tree come Oct when I know I could be chasing pheasants.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Leaving for the airport in about 20 minutes here. Staying with my sis in Youngstown tonight. Should be in camp by 1 p.m. tomorrow. Can't wait to get started. Best wishes for good weather, good luck, and safe hunting. Make some great memories guys. There's just nothing like deer camp.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Good luck, be safe, and Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Heading 2 hrs north to my cousins farm in Potter Co tomorrow, to hopefully settle the score with a crafty buck that out smarted me numerous time in archery.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Armstrong----

Been two years since I've been able to return to these spots.
Looking forward to it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 11/24/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Everyone must be at camp!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ill be up on the "Crick hill" between Georgeville and Smicksburg. 36th year now. Good luck all.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Good luck to you Otter, keep the tradition going.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Good luck to you as well.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Will be with efw and gophergunner in camp. Hope to fill a tag and figure out the out of state rifle game for the first time

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunting the Northeast here. Looks like it's going to be a rainy first week.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very best of luck to all of you folks.. We will not be making the trip to Pa. this fall.. 2nd year in a row.. Will be in Az. chasing doves, quail and coyotes.. Maybe next year!! Be careful and shoot straight..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm driving down to hunt state game lands 035 in Hallstead. Anyone ever deer hunt there? I am curious about how much pressure it's gonna get.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't know about the pressure, but it will be gone by Tuesday and at 10,000 acres you should be able to get away form it. Looks like it has some spots that are steep.

http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm?usetopo=1&lat=41.933412&lon=-75.6996303

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Will be with efw and gophergunner in camp. Hope to fill a tag and figure out the out of state rifle game for the first time

I caught up with gophergunner for breakfast and a BS session this morning. Had to leave for home before these guys got to DuBois but I'm planning to get to camp and say hello.

On the bright side, leaving early allowed me to catch the end of the OSU/Michigan game and all of the PSU/Michigan State game. GO PSU!

Dale

This space for rent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck and a safe hunt wish for all.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
My Mom and Step Dad are down here for Thanksgiving, from Fayette County. His phone has been ringing all day with his buddies calling to discuss the start of season. There are certainly some rabid deer hunters up there. I hope you boys have a great season! Find a kid to take hunting and keep that great tradition going.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Likewise Battue. Shoot a big one.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,073
Posts18,463,784
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.