Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First, thanks to all for the posts.

Second, most of you are probably better Deer hunters than me. I've had the blessings to be consistently successful most often, but not because I'm that great at the game. I just more or less hang out where they like to hang, and given enough time we usually bump into each other.

If I wasn't so greedy and would have let that one walk, he had the potential to be a Giant.

The rifle is a Kimber that started out as a .338Fed. Shot some Deer with it, but didn't enjoy the recoil. So, had Dave Bruno put a little heavier than what it came with Douglas .300Savage barrel on it. I really like it. Carries nice, shoots good and more than adequate for most Whitetail opportunities I will use it for.

Last edited by battue; 12/02/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
battue, that's a beauty. Makes me home sick every time I see pictures of PA.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A little better look of the Deer and rifle.

Pretty much run of the mill Montana from a distance.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Nice job battue, great deer and rifle!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Really glad you scored Battue. I was thinking about you on Monday moring and wondering how things were working out for you. Congrats, sir.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you, and you boys obviously had a good time. I think if you had more of it, there would have been more than one Buck down. Only two days makes it tough for everything to fall just right.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by TomM1
Yes Sir, this will be my last year as a PA resident, moving to FL in January, then I will be one of those non-resident goofs who comes back every year.

Good luck all and stay safe.

Good luck to all!

For 40 years I always hunted the whole first week or until I got my buck. When retirement comes around in a few years count on me being there from Bear season Monday thru the two week deer season!

A year or two after my job took me out of PA I had someone notice my non-resident tag and called me a out of stater there taking their deer smile

I had to laugh at the jerk, my family has been in PA since the mid 1600's.

Ted
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep, down here now house hunting, already planning on being back next year as a non-res for bear, Thanksgiving dinner with the relatives, then a week of buck, Sat doe possibly.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nice buck battue! Interesting rifle too. The 250 and 300 Savages are both cool rounds. In the Montana either would be a sweet PA deer rig. I know a family that all 3 of them use 250 Savages. In the m700 Classic.

Nice pics too. Thanks for sharing them. Ill get some up next week. Been busy hunting and trading trucks.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Tagged a doe on Saturday morning. She was in a group of 4 that stopped on a wooded sidehill about 200 yds from me. I was able to get into the sling, kneel down, and lean against the gas shanty that I was using to block the wind. Almost felt like shooting the bench.

One shot with the 270 (130 gr Hornady Spitzer and 60 gr H4831sc) was all it took.

Then to top it off, she rolled down the hill to the field edge and I could drive the truck right to her.

Dale

This space for rent

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Congrats on the nice buck, Battue! Now get the boys out for a few grouse!

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads on the Buck and a Dandy rifle!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wilkes,

Thanks and hope you and yours are doing well.

Grouse on that place have been really down lately in spite of good cover. They think west nile virus has gotten into our Birds. Buuuuut, this year we flushed around 12. Will probably run the Dogs on them, but not try shoot more than one. Perhaps they are bouncing back.

Dale,

Congrats on a Pa Doe. Have a tag and have plans to maybe get one myself.

Saddlering,

Thanks. I like that rifle more than a little. Being a runt myself, I'm partial to runts.

Last edited by battue; 12/05/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally, after 6 days of hunting in the rain. cold, and wind I got a buck! Not much in the antler department.

[Linked Image]

For the looneys, here's the load info:
Projectile: 2007 Toyota Tundra
Weight: 2000 lbs
Speed: 72 mile/hr

Not quite the classic mushroom but close.

[Linked Image]

Hit the 6 pt at almost exactly noon. He came up over the guardrail landed on the road square in front of the grill. I never saw him coming and never hit the brakes until after the crunch. Airbag deployment and towed from the scene. On the bright side, I did get to spend 5 hours with some fine VA folks at the Sunoco off exit 54 while waiting for my wife to drive up from Knoxville. Haven't heard back from my insurance company which likely isn't a good thing........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not much else to say but glad you're ok.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
It's amazing how fast they can appear. Glad you're OK but I don't think the truck will buff out.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dale K
It's amazing how fast they can appear. Glad you're OK but I don't think the truck will buff out.

Dale

Purty sure it won't buff out. <G>

A funny side note. Upon impact, I hit the brakes hard. The truck has antilock brakes but it wowed me down quick. I looked out the passenger side and the buck passed me skidding down the shoulder and came to rest in the grass. The truck stopped before he did. I know he skidded at least 100 yards.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
pahick,I grew up in Renovo and live about 35 miles away. I rarely hunt in the area any more because of lack of deer, but my brother and I will end the season on Saturday hunting my wife's family's property in Shintown. I took a fair number of bucks there and in Baker's Run, but not too many were as nice as the ones you took.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Got back late tues night after a house hunting exursion for an upcoming move. Went out Tues night saw 1 deer (couldnt tell what it was) and 1 doe, which I waited to see if anything came out behind it, then it was gone. Today I decided I had better fill my doe tag. I sat a stand I built couple years ago that has been good to me, wasnt sitting 30 min when I spotted a tail flicker, doe but no shot, in brush. I watched her for about 15 min until she entered a cleared about 120 yards away, the Tikka barked and I wathced her fall in the scope (never had that happen), one more doe took off that I never saw. As luck would have it, after I field dresses her, my buddy texted me to see if I saw anything and came over to help me drag it out. Got the tenderloins in the fridge, meat hanging in the garage and a cold beer in the Laz-a-boy. Life is good! Got 2 more days to try and find an altered variety. Me and a buddy plan on covering a lot of ground tomorrow. We shall see. Been a good season thus far with probably close to 40 deer seen, even the gamelands in 3B are showing signs of life from the doe over-kill a few years back.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.