Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a Noreen BN 36-06 AR. I was looking to stock up on some plinking ammo and was wondering about the WPA ammo. I was told to stay away from it. Any reasons why I should or should not use it. I have some money sunk into my BN 30-06 and would not want to ruin it just to save a few bucks.

Last edited by flyphishr; 11/19/16.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you have a tight chamber you might get some stuch cases on feeding. i have a core 15 that just wont eat wpa ammo.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
What is WPA ammo?

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wolf Performance Ammunition.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't feed a nice rifle junky ammo. Just my opinion.

I got an AK to scratch the itch when I want to go out and burn through a few magazines real quick. It's cheap too.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And most of it is made in Russia.
I don't buy anything made in Russia if I can help it.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The people saying don't use it don't shoot very much. It works great blast away

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, shooting steel down your steel barrel is good for your rifle. In fact, the more of it you shoot the more accurate your barrel will become.

Do you really need an endorsement from others to shoot the cheapest schidt you can find?
Take the advice you were given and stay away from it.

Last edited by NVhntr; 11/21/16.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
it has steel jacketed bullets? Wow.

Re Russian, if wolf rimfire is made there, its a super deal and super accurate....

Have not used any other wolf though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Years ago it was copper washed bullets that would stick to a magnet along with corrosive primers.

I never shot any of it to see what it would do but I never had to pee on the fence either...

Wolf 22 ammo is made elsewhere and rebranded it is good ammo.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Wolf Gold line is also brass cased copper jacketed and decent.
The WPA line is steel/ bi-metal which is a copper washed steel jacket.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
your not shooting steel down your "steel" barrel. your shooting a copper jacketed bullets. wolf makes both flavors FMJ and JHP depending on your flavor.

the only thing that is steel the case. the steel is also ALOT softer than the steel used in your ar 15, chamber and bolt face and extractor. will it cause a bit more wear t these parts, probably but they are all replaceable. If you shoot that much. most guys are lucky to shoot 100 rounds in a year. The money saving with buying steel case ammo will more than make up for any increased parts replacement even including the barrel. I haven't yet seen documented proof of steel case even wearing parts faster, I am just speculating.

those saying don't shoot steel and buy brass, aren't the guys putting 1k rounds a year through their gun. I got a deal on some of cabelas herters steel case, which has given me some stuck cases. the wolf and tulammo has been 100% and is perfectly fine for blasting ammo.

so to those turning their nose up, I say fine your paying your ammo bill and 5 20 round boxes of the good stuff every year, Yeah keep doing what your doing. blasting in the desert is more fun for me.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
^wrong. WPA is a steel jacket bullet with a copper wash coat to prevent corrosion. Read more here to see if it matters to you.

Link.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
CC please read the link.

Wear a barrel out with 6000 rounds of bi-metal Wolf bullets, (that's steel and copper bullets not the case) or have plenty of barrel life left at 10,000 rounds of copper bullets from Federal.

I shoot plenty of copper bullets for .35 a round and load even cheaper than that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In any case, I'd expect less barrel life from a 30-06 than a 223 Rem, so that should be factored into the economics. Savings/per shot are also greater.
Never used 30-06 WPA loads, but I would expect 30-06 Steel case ammo is less likely to cause stuck cases than steel 223 because of greater body taper.

Last edited by night_owl; 11/21/16.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So if you don't shoot steel case ammo in your guns you don't shoot much? That's a good one.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flyphishr
I have a Noreen BN 36-06 AR.

You better figure out where you are going to get a replacement barrel and how much it's gonna cost you before you decide to shoot Wolf through it. An economic case can be made for shooting steel jacketed ammo through a $250 commodity barrel, but what if the barrel is $600? What if Noreen goes bust and you have to have a barrel made from scratch? Have fun figuring out what barrel extension to use too. If it's unique to Noreen, you are pretty well screwed.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
an aside, I"d go buy a couple of Noreen barrel extensions just to have on hand if I owned one....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by flyphishr
I have a Noreen BN 36-06 AR. I was looking to stock up on some plinking ammo and was wondering about the WPA ammo. I was told to stay away from it. Any reasons why I should or should not use it. I have some money sunk into my BN 30-06 and would not want to ruin it just to save a few bucks.

I just looked this thing up....

Dood, that's a $2000 rifle.
Why on earth would you want to monkey-fu_k around with cheap Russian ammo ?

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ok. So I'm not going to shoot the WPA ammo in my Noreen.

Next question, is the ball ammo that is out there OK to shoot?? The stuff from turkey. I'm assuming it would be since it's copper not steel???

Good call out on ordering an extra barrel extension.
Thanks.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know what that Turk stuff is.

Scroll down until you see brass in the case column.
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/30-06
That's PRVI from SGAmmo
I'd shoot that or S&B for a lower priced ammo.
With 06 looks like you are going to be about 75 cents/round unless you handload.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I run Turk .308 through my m1a. Brass cased, copper FMJ. It is good stuff. Better than the Winchester and federal M80 on the market, some of which does have steel jacketed bullets.

I'm not sure how it is in '06.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
why do these threads make me think of that song by Cypress Hill, Insane in the Membrane, insane in the brain...

There are dozens of internet ammo providers that offer bulk ammo for sale, buy 1000 rounds and go shoot it, buy something decent with a brass case and std copper full metal jacket lead core bullet.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jimmyp
why do these threads make me think of that song by Cypress Hill, Insane in the Membrane, insane in the brain...

There are dozens of internet ammo providers that offer bulk ammo for sale, buy 1000 rounds and go shoot it, buy something decent with a brass case and std copper full metal jacket lead core bullet.

You with the giant brain...
Post a link for the OP.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

You obviously don't shoot 1,000 rounds per year!

/end sarcasm
grin

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don't be silly, who could afford 1000 rounds in a year's time...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I shoot steel a lot
POF even says it's OK in their rifle they suggest Wolf

I stopped thinking about it a long time ago
Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 11/22/16.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

You with the giant brain...
Post a link for the OP.

use google even a caveman can do it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
another benefit to using brass cased, boxer primed is even if you don't reload you can sell your brass and recoup some of the cost,
steel berdan cases, put them in a bucket and you have a boat anchor.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.