Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I know the dimensions are not identical, but it seems to me that it has taken the gun industry 100 years to catch up to Charles Newtons imagination....... He listed a 33 newton which is almost the same as this 33 nosler.............

Newton was way ahead of the game and his time....

His .256 had a standard twist of 1 in 10",
and a bunch of taper ( .418" at the shoulder )

And even with those limitations a .256 will still push a 140 gr vld at 2850 and fit into a normal long action. Newton did not pick a 2.8"OAL because it was unheard of in his day and is still unnecessary. JMHO

W260 - Yup - In his pre WWI day, the Intermediate Length action was more common. 7 and 8 x 57mm fit the IL magazine which was also designed around the tapered cases.
Are you sure about that 6.5 caliber 140 VLD in a 10" twist ?

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

As Elmer Keith asked way back at a meeting introducing the 8mm Remington Mag to industry gun writers, "what the h--- is it good for"? My rendition of his comment, "why"?

As John put it, there is nothing new ballistically here (how could there be?), just a new concept product

Why Not ?

It fits in the 3.34" magazine of Noslers M48 etc., and doesn't have the dread belt affliction.

My only sad, is that making the neck geometry work wrt the ogive of the LR AccuBonds, put the Neck Shoulder junction closer to the bolt face than with the .338 Win.

Who cares ? Loonie Me , That's who!

I just wanted to re-chamber an M70 EW w/ 26" barrel, work up loads, and start trimming back the barrel by a couple centmetres at a time until it is 23.5" , or I am deaf, flinched, and shoulder dislocated.

Re-Barrelling on the other hand allows me to get the 33 Nosler throat specs, and start even longer ! :-)

I see you've mentioned the belt on the 338 win mag a couple times in this thread. Why is this even a concern? The 33 is better than the win mag because it has no belt?? You are really grasping at straws here..

The 33 has greater capacity than the .338 Win because it is based upon the shortened RUM case, which in turn is based upon a rebated .404 case. No Belt.

The 33's performance with 225 ABs; is being compared to the 338 Lapua, again - No Belt.

The Lapua case has also been refined by shortening it for a better fit into magazine confines with the 300 grn VLDs ( 338 Norma, No Belt ;-) )

The belt on the .338 Win case is an anachronism.
I'm not clinging to straws.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Belted cases feed great from staggered box CRF actions as they have since the inception of the H&H rounds about (what?) 100 years ago? smile You can't say that about all straight tapered, sharp shouldered wonder cartridges that seems to pop up on a weekly basis.

Go into any BG camp world wide and I bet you are far more likely to encounter a bunch of rifles chambered for belted cartridges and virtually none at all chambered for boutique cartridges like the Dakota, Lazzaroni, and (now) the Noslers. This is a not a new rodeo but might be if you haven't been paying attention.

Since the most popular magnum cartridges in terms of sales, and general usefulness are ALL belted, with ammo and brass sales numbering in the millions annually, and rifles up the wazzoo I don't think anyone can claim that a belt is an "anachronism" if by that we mean the cartridges are "out dated". They certainly are not if we consider the amount of use they still get today. smile

Not a thing wrong with the new Nosler cartridges and I would not hold it against them that they have no belts.....just like the Dakota series and the lazzarroni cartridges that preceded them by one or two decades. This kind of marketing is tried every so often, like Johnny B said earlier. They never relegate belted cases to the scrap heap.But that does not mean they aren't good if a guy wants the something different.

The first "beltless" magnum was the 30 Newton, which preceded the H&H rounds but died on the vine by the 1930's or so (along with the 256 and the 35 newton), I guess I have to ask.......which design is the real anachronism? confused wink

I keep saying none of this stuff is really new but people love to think we are making huge strides with case designs. The real advancements aren't cartridges...it's bullets, powders, and scopes.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/24/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the more laughable comments I've seen about belted cases (which isn't uncommon) is the belt "interferes" with smooth feeding from a typical bolt-action magazine. But the belt was developed specifically for smooth feeding, for cartridges that didn't have enough (or any) shoulder for firm headspacing. In fact, a number of military cartridges for automatic weapons have been belted, for the same reason.

That said, a belt on any round with sufficient shoulder for headspacing is superfluous, but not exactly a detriment. Which is why the vast majority of "official" sniper rifles for so many of the world's armies and police departments are chambered for the .300 Winchester Magnum. Part of this, of course, is widely available ammunition, but .300 Winchesters far outnumber .300 WSM's for such use, including new rifles chosen by various departments since the .300 WSM appeared.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bob : I don't think there is any real risk of any serious diminishment of the supply of quality 300 Win Mag brass for your 7mm Mashburn Super ;-)

Your point(s) above, about the steep sharp shoulders and lack of body taper are well made, and are probably more detrimental to smooth feeding than any belt ever was.

I first saw these Beltless Long Magnums, when I stopped and chatted with Aubrey White about his Canadian Imperial Magnums cartridge family. This was back in the early 90's at a Calgary Gun show. His customs were offered chambered in the very nice Sako AV long action.

I applaud Nosler for developing their family of LR magnums " Sans-Belt "

Last edited by 338Rules; 11/25/16. Reason: clarity & spilling
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
They are all also "sans-decimal," and I applaud you for typing the 33's name correctly.

This is not usual. In fact most magazines routinely put a decimal point in front of the numbers of the Nosler rounds. I don't know why most do, but the copy editor of one magazine, after being informed of the mistake, said it Nosler's naming was incorrect, so they were correcting it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
MD - They didn't call it the 1/3" ? wink

Any chance you will be writing a review for one of the publications ?

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perfect for size queens and the ones keeping up with the Joneses.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob : I don't think there is any real risk of any serious diminishment of the supply of quality 300 Win Mag brass for your 7mm Mashburn Super ;-)

Your point(s) above, about the steep sharp shoulders and lack of body taper are well made, and are probably more detrimental to smooth feeding than any belt ever was.

I first saw these Beltless Long Magnums, when I stopped and chatted with Aubrey White about his Canadian Imperial Magnums cartridge family. This was back in the early 90's at a Calgary Gun show. His customs were offered chambered in the very nice Sako AV long action.

I applaud Nosler for developing their family of LR magnums " Sans-Belt "

338 I recall the Imperial Magnums....another blast from the past. grin

I tried the boutique cartridges with the 7mm Dakota and think it's one of the two "best" 7mm mags ever. I got a Mashburn because it did the same things and I could make my own brass from the cheap and available, common belted stuff.

I think the Noslers are swell but will leave them to the younger crowd. wink

John those H&H cases feed slick from a staggered box magazine. cool

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Belted cases feed great from staggered box CRF actions as they have since the inception of the H&H rounds about (what?) 100 years ago? smile You can't say that about all straight tapered, sharp shouldered wonder cartridges that seems to pop up on a weekly basis.

The real advancements aren't cartridges...it's bullets, powders, and scopes.

Your remarks about the straight tapered cartridges popping up, reminds me that they often need a center-feed dbm style magazine to function. Fine in a Tactical / LR rig, but the dbm is a bit limiting in a Hunting configuration.

Thank You for sharing your experience so eloquently

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
338 thank you. Unless my memory is foggy the 378 and 460 Weatherby were center feed rounds as well.

Even fat belted cartridges have their unique issues in a magazine fed sporting rifle.. smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have always wondered what the point was of adding a belt to the .416 Rigby.
Was it Wby style, or did it make them feed better in the Mark V ?

Definitely not my cup of tea. My interest ended with the .375 Wby.
Buddy had one that I shot a bit. It was a rechambered Brno 602 in .375 H&H.
No problems feeding as I recall.
About like my .338 A-bolt for recoil, but the Brno was heavier. Neither had brakes.

I think that a lot of feeding problems could be resolved with a bit of case taper and a moderate shoulder angle up-front in the cartridge design, and some slo-mo video during fast & slow cycling during tuning.

Makes me wonder how the Creedmoor with its .462" shoulder fares in this regard ?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I know the dimensions are not identical, but it seems to me that it has taken the gun industry 100 years to catch up to Charles Newtons imagination....... He listed a 33 newton which is almost the same as this 33 nosler.............

Newton was way ahead of the game and his time....

His .256 had a standard twist of 1 in 10",
and a bunch of taper ( .418" at the shoulder )

And even with those limitations a .256 will still push a 140 gr vld at 2850 and fit into a normal long action. Newton did not pick a 2.8"OAL because it was unheard of in his day and is still unnecessary. JMHO

W260 - Yup - In his pre WWI day, the Intermediate Length action was more common. 7 and 8 x 57mm fit the IL magazine which was also designed around the tapered cases.
Are you sure about that 6.5 caliber 140 VLD in a 10" twist ?

I am sure they wont work in a 1-10 " twist, but nowadays a 6.5 bore without a 1-8" twist is laughable. I think the only company using less then that is Remington and they are not into 6.5 too much....
Newton did tend to follow the crowd as far as twists, with the conventional wisdom at the time being the least amount the better because the bullets were not good enough to spin faster......

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Go into any BG camp world wide and I bet you are far more likely to encounter a bunch of rifles chambered for belted cartridges and virtually none at all chambered for boutique cartridges like the Dakota, Lazzaroni, and (now) the Noslers. This is a not a new rodeo but might be if you haven't been paying attention.

Since the most popular magnum cartridges in terms of sales, and general usefulness are ALL belted, with ammo and brass sales numbering in the millions annually, and rifles up the wazzoo I don't think anyone can claim that a belt is an "anachronism" if by that we mean the cartridges are "out dated". They certainly are not if we consider the amount of use they still get today. smile

Not a thing wrong with the new Nosler cartridges and I would not hold it against them that they have no belts.....just like the Dakota series and the lazzarroni cartridges that preceded them by one or two decades. This kind of marketing is tried every so often, like Johnny B said earlier. They never relegate belted cases to the scrap heap.But that does not mean they aren't good if a guy wants the something different.

The first "beltless" magnum was the 30 Newton, which preceded the H&H rounds but died on the vine by the 1930's or so (along with the 256 and the 35 newton), I guess I have to ask.......which design is the real anachronism? confused wink

I keep saying none of this stuff is really new but people love to think we are making huge strides with case designs. The real advancements aren't cartridges...it's bullets, powders, and scopes.

Excellent post Bob. Well said, as per usual...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
338 I think Roy Weatherby wanted to sell rifles with a proprietary cartridge. I guess 416 Rigby cases were the largest practical at the time so he added a belt. JOC used to turn the belts off 416 Weatherby brass and neck it down to make 416 Rigby cases. I guess 416 brass was pretty scarce back then.

My understanding is the Creedmoor was designed as a match cartridge so the case shape was designed to feed correctly. Pretty sure the shoulder angle is 30 degrees.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
338 I think Roy Weatherby wanted to sell rifles with a proprietary cartridge. I guess 416 Rigby cases were the largest practical at the time so he added a belt. JOC used to turn the belts off 416 Weatherby brass and neck it down to make 416 Rigby cases. I guess 416 brass was pretty scarce back then.

Hence the Rigby Romance wink

My understanding is the Creedmoor was designed as a match cartridge so the case shape was designed to feed correctly. Pretty sure the shoulder angle is 30 degrees.

Yes 30 degree shoulder angle, and a little bigger diameter ( .008") than the usual .454" at the shoulder. This probably works out to the same internal capacity of a typical AI shoulder geometry (40 degrees, and .454" diam )

I am really looking forward to seeing the case dimensions,
and some pressure tested load recipes on this Nosler Thirty Three.

Last edited by 338Rules; 11/26/16. Reason: clarity & spilling
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I'm not impressed with the .33 Nosler.

It shoots a bullet weighing only 25 grains more than a plain old .300 Weatherby, but 35 fps slower than the Weatherby, and with a slightly worse ballistic coefficient. Does anyone believe that a slightly slower bullet, weighing only about half as much as a .22 long rifle bullet more, would be even noticeable?

One would think that they could have made more of an improvement in the last 72 years.

It's the case being shorter for better bullets. I'm sure you still don't get it though.

What's not to get?

The .300 Weatherby (with 200 grain bullets) fires a faster bullet with a better BC, and therefore is better at wind resistance and trajectory than the .33 Nosler at ALL ranges, though the advantage is slight.

As for action length, so what? A couple of ounces? Shorter bolt throw? Anyone who knows how to work a bolt slaps it back to the stop, and short stroking is not a problem.

The reason the 6.5 Creedmore is more popular than the .260 Remington is the case and chamber shape are such that you can use longer (better BC) bullets. Dennis DeMille of Creedmore Arms developed it for long range target shooting.

So I reiterate: The .33 Nosler, despite its hype, does not seem to be a meaningful improvement over the 72-year old .300 Weatherby. I can't comment on the .340 Weatherby because I have no knowledge or experience with the .340. I would not be surprised if it beats out the .33 Nosler as well. My concern is that "new" cartridges that don't offer meaningful improvements don't seem to last long in factory loadings.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I'm not impressed with the .33 Nosler.

It shoots a bullet weighing only 25 grains more than a plain old .300 Weatherby, but 35 fps slower than the Weatherby, and with a slightly worse ballistic coefficient. Does anyone believe that a slightly slower bullet, weighing only about half as much as a .22 long rifle bullet more, would be even noticeable?

One would think that they could have made more of an improvement in the last 72 years.

It's the case being shorter for better bullets. I'm sure you still don't get it though.

What's not to get?

The .300 Weatherby (with 200 grain bullets) fires a faster bullet with a better BC, and therefore is better at wind resistance and trajectory than the .33 Nosler at ALL ranges, though the advantage is slight.

As for action length, so what? A couple of ounces? Shorter bolt throw? Anyone who knows how to work a bolt slaps it back to the stop, and short stroking is not a problem.

The reason the 6.5 Creedmore is more popular than the .260 Remington is the case and chamber shape are such that you can use longer (better BC) bullets. Dennis DeMille of Creedmore Arms developed it for long range target shooting.

So I reiterate: The .33 Nosler, despite its hype, does not seem to be a meaningful improvement over the 72-year old .300 Weatherby. I can't comment on the .340 Weatherby because I have no knowledge or experience with the .340. I would not be surprised if it beats out the .33 Nosler as well. My concern is that "new" cartridges that don't offer meaningful improvements don't seem to last long in factory loadings.

You have no knowledge or experience with a 340 why, but you have knowledge and experience with a 33 Nosler? Why would you be concerned about cartridges you don't shoot not lasting long? Everyone doesn't buy the end all be all cartridge in down range velocity and trajectory, otherwise everyone would be shooting the same cartridge.

I doubt I'd own a 33 Nosler and have been happy with the 338 WM and 340 but if the 33 Nosler gets someone more interested in shooting I am all for it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
33 Nosler = .338 RUM short?

I'll stick with big brother...

grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Indy,

You're missing stuff on several levels.

First, Dennis Demille did not "develop" the 6.5 Creedmoor (not "Creedmore"). Instead he provided Dave Emery of Hornady the parameters of what DeMille thought would be a great long-range target round. DeMille didn't even suggest a caliber, and Emery went from there.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was developed to provide a consistent FACTORY cartridge, which would be short enough to allow longer, high-BC bullets to be seated correctly, and avoid having to chamber target rifles for various wildcat rounds. They not only didn't have consistent dimensions, but were often hot-rodded by handloaders. This is exactly why the first Hornady factory ammo had load data listed on the box.

The 33 Nosler, like many these days, is also designed around parameters allowing the proper seating of very high-BC bullets. Whether or not the .300 Weatherby will "beat" the velocity of the 33 with 200-grain bullets is irrelevant. Many of today's hunters want the superior accuracy and down-range performance of higher-BC bullets--while you seem to be fixated on muzzle velocity.

The .300 Weatherby is a fine round, one I've used myself, having owned three. But because of the freebore it doesn't match the accuracy of purpose-designed modern cartridges like the 6.5 Creedmoor and others. Even some more recent cartridges than the .300 Weatherby are too long to accommodate really high-BC bullets--and those bullets do provide real downrange advantages.

They may not within YOUR idea of "downrange," but that's your personal opinion, apparently based on parameters meaningless to many of today's shooters--and therefore just as incorrect as your version of the origin (and spelling) of the 6.5 Creedmoor. To many of those shooters, the 33 Nosler or other new rounds DO "offer meaningful improvements" over older rounds. And just because those improvements don't fit into your personal parameters doesn't mean they don't exist.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,151
Posts18,465,027
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.