Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Took a couple of days and went to see a friend and I swear, that man can be a persuasive cuss when he wants to be! He left me no choice and forced me to bring it home... honest! Since I was raised to be polite to my elders, who was I to disagree with him? Now THIS is a muzzleloader!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks fine. What model is that one?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Late Lancaster - 50 caliber

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I doubt it took to much persuasion. A very nice rifle...a classic.

Doc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the handsomest MLs I've seen of late. Never been a fan of all that brass crap in the stock.

Is that maker still around?

Never mind. Googled it. Wow!

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/20/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by htredneck
Late Lancaster - 50 caliber

Sorry, missed that info in the title somehow. I like the look of those TVM guns a lot. That one looks really nice. Hope you go make some smoke and report back.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ought to be a tack driver!! Well done!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

50 yards, 75 grains 2f, 490 round ball patched with pillow ticking...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That'll do!

Very nice. Lucky you.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful rifle!

Just FYI - and I have no connection to the shop or the pistols - but I happen to know where there are a matched pair of .50 flintlock pistols made by Avance that would match that rifle nigh perfectly.

If you're interested, I'll get you the info.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by htredneck
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

50 yards, 75 grains 2f, 490 round ball patched with pillow ticking...

[Linked Image]

Love it!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I kinda like this one:

[Linked Image].50 Flintlock by Tom Watson by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I kinda like this one:

[Linked Image].50 Flintlock by Tom Watson by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Nice rifle!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't participate in this forum too much but that is absolutely beautiful! I've been thinking about a Lyman Great Plains rifle in flint and have had percussion rifles in the past. For those who have flintlocks (which seem to be in the minority), how do you like them? Do you find the lock time to be any disadvantage?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
A properly tuned and functional flintlock has no disadvantage at all. And once you are hooked, there is no turning back!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by S99VG
I don't participate in this forum too much but that is absolutely beautiful! I've been thinking about a Lyman Great Plains rifle in flint and have had percussion rifles in the past. For those who have flintlocks (which seem to be in the minority), how do you like them? Do you find the lock time to be any disadvantage?

There is no choice for percussion in the post Christmas primative season in PA, flint only.

The speed of the ignition varies. Some are pretty fast.

Naturally the lock work is important. I saw a huge difference between a standard Thompson Center lock and a L&R RPL lock. Flash hole position relative to the pan is also a big deal. Generally the hole should be higher than the pan because the flame rises. I can see the difference of speed between my RMC with L&R lock and Thompson with L&R lock due to the Green Mountain barrel on the RMC. The RMC is quicker.

Most guys say, and I believe a half pan is quicker than a full pan. Pan powder gets slower as it sucks up moisture, so if it is foggy I dump that powder often. Once you fire, the burnt powder makes the pan/charge suck up water. You can clean that with an alcohol wipe or fletch dry-aluminum oxide.

Entry level flints are usually not at the same level as a good custom job. A good lock like a L&R or Siler lock is generally a good upgrade on a production rifle. Original/cheaper locks can be tuned, but a shortcut is a good drop in "speed" lock. Generally speed is everyone's goal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by S99VG

My only flinter was a Pedersoli Mortimer. Ignition was iffy, until I found an article by Ross Seyfried on that exact rifle and how he got it working. A larger touchhole and coning out the back side of the liner turned it into a fast and dead reliable piece.

Opinions vary on this stuff, and I've read contrary notions; one writer going so far as to say that liners are dangerous and should never be used. My limited experience and a little pondering lead me to believe that guy was an opinionated crank.

I'm thinking about another traditional piece, and the choice of ignition will be determined by what style I go with, not any worries about speed or reliability.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A beautiful piece of work.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 204guy, 34 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,364
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.