Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got asked that today.

Shot a round of skeet today at the local gun club. As is my practice I was shooting one of my old pawnshop rescue guns; today it was a Remington Model 11 20 gauge that has a polychoke. Such shotguns are not a handicap for me as I'm going to shoot a 20-22 whether it's a $250 blue collar gun or a $2500 Italian over-under.

One of the younger (30-something) shooters on the squad was curious about my shotgun and asked me about it. I think all he had ever seen was current clay target guns.To him, my Remington Model 11 was ancient and I think he was surprised that such an antique would function and break targets just like his fancy Italian autoloader. And this guy wasn't a new clay target shooter either (he went 25 straight).

He became intrigued with the polychoke and asked me what it was. He sincerely didn't know what it was. I explained it was like the 1930's version of choke tubes. Demonstrated how it would go from cylinder to full with a simple twist. He thought that was a pretty good idea.

Yup, it worked 75 years ago, and still does even if not in vogue.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember that there was a time in the fifties when it appeared that it must have been illegal to display a used shotgun that didn't have one.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dial-a-duck.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my brother has a Stevens A5 clone with a polychoke on it and it shoots just fine. and while we're walking down memory lane, how about the original screw in chokes, the Cutts Compensator.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My 16ga Ithaca 37 has a poly choke, and I like it. Seems like I use to have a small problem with Remington and cheap Federal plastic wads deposting plastic in it, but haven't noticed it much lately. Probably because I rotate through so many shotguns now, I don't shoot it enough to have a problem.

A buddy had a Cutts Compensator on his Marlin Super Goose. I don't know if the Compensator worked or if the wieght of the gun was a factor, but it was an almost pleasant gun to shoot.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first hunting shotgun (after the .410) was a military surplus 520 Stevens riot gun with a Herter's version of a ventilated Poly Choke to bring it up to legal length and the butt cut back a bit. eek

The purpose of a Poly Choke is to give kids something to do with nervous energy while walking corn rows - find the perfect choke for immediate conditions. laugh

In this modern era it's play with the magazine cap where parts go flying like my cousin's kid some years ago while blocking.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I look at a super nice 870 20 bore with a polychoke and this thread almost makes me way to go buy it. Thanks, thanks alot.......

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
MWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Maybe 20 years from now color coded choke tubes with holes in them will be considered oh-so-yesterday and frowned upon...lowering the value of shotgun.

The 'in' thing will be some simple device on the muzzle that goes from cylinder to full in a slight turn. smile

And Nighthawk, indeed many times as a teen anticipating something to shoot I'd play with the polychoke getting just right for the shot that seldom came...that I'd usually miss when it did!

I had a Remington 31 (steel) 20 gauge that came from the factory with an adjustable choke. In a weak moment my snob nature got the best of me and I swapped it off.

I think it's fun to watch guys shooting sporting clays busy cranking choke tubes in/out with their little pencil sharpener gizmos. Watching them you'd think you can't break a target without changing choke tubes for every shot. More than once I've stepped up and asked what tube they recommended and cranked on the polychoke or simply went ahead and shot the stand with my fixed choke gun (often one with no ventilated rib).

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad I'm not the only one, almost didn't admit that. laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a twin to your model. 11 or I should say my brother does. I loaned it to him several years ago and haven't seen it since. Neat little guns.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have been shooting in a combo league, one round of trap, one of skeet, with a 1947 Model 12 that has a Cutts Compensator. The pullers often ask, "what is that thing?". I tell them it is what their granddaddy used back in the day. I'm averaging 23 at skeet with it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.