Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Im very interesting in the outcome of this thread as well. My wife and I are dying to get out of LakeHood, CO before starting a family.

I was looking at Sheridan also. Good schools. Home prices are OK, compared to front range. I like the sounds of Pinedale as well. Best fishing Ive ever had was up in the Winds.

Last edited by wildcat33; 11/21/16.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the input got a few more ideas smile Leaning toward Montana

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by DELGUE
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes
Originally Posted by hunthard
We want a town of 3-10k not to big or too small .

Maybe you have reasons for the three towns you listed but if I had unlimited choices I would be moving to Lewistown, Montana.

Why do you prefer Lewistown?

Great location. Easy to get to Billings. Still a small, laid back ag town sitting amongst a few mountain ranges. Good fishing and hunting. Great community.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Just a heads-up: if you land anywhere near Great Falls, there are two very complete sporting goods stores there, Scheels and Big Bear.

And there is now a Cabela's in Kalispell. smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Any day we can import conservative-leaning people into this state is a good day.

The more, the merrier, as long as you vote.

I live in the Yellowstone Valley outside of Billings. Feel free to PM if anyone has specific questions. I would be happy to help.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Im as Conservative as they get . I actually took that into consideration looking at what percentage voted Blue in the states that Im considering. Wyoming was around 85% Red, Montana, Idaho were around 70% if my memory serves me correct. Politics, and Religion are certainly something to pay attention to these days.For what my house is worth in Alaska looks like ill get 20 acres two versus only 2. Cost of living in Alaska is just not affordable in retirement years and having the extra month of fall will be nice.

Lewiston looks attractive!

God Bless

Last edited by hunthard; 11/22/16.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hunthard: Hamilton has gray long winters with stale air.
My wife and I decided NOT to move there.
We did decide to move to Dillon, Montana and have spent 18 full years here with bright and mild winters with very little snow and great Doctors and Dentists (who moved here for the wonderful fly fishing and Hunting opportunities).
Dillon (population 4,200) is the country seat of a huge county (Beaverhead - population 9,200) here in SW Montana.
Dillon is on the east side of the Continental Divide and is protected from much precipitation (annual precipitation, including snow, is 9.85"!).
Be sure and give the Dillon area a good look see with low energy prices (lowest electric rates in the United States of America!) great schools (including a college) and a great new hospital.
Nearest Cost-Co is 105 miles distant, each way!
Other than that its a SUPERB place to live with wonderful friendly people, LOTS to do and low crime rates.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
VarmintGuy,

Thanks for your write up we will look into this area as well. Have been through the area but didn't look around much other than getting gas. Whats the average price for a nice home 2500 sf with some acreage?

Thanks, Tim

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hunthard: I fly fish with one real estate agent and Hunt Ground Squirrels with another - but "I" am not up on values of homes per se.
I will NOT mention your name but can/and will (if you want) get brochures and specific listings for you and mail them to you gratis.
Our son is coming "home" (from the west coast) tonight and we will be spending the long holiday weekend with him - so can get that done next Monday.
Let me know and I will gladly get the info (keeping you incognito) and send it to you.
Let me know by P/M or E-mail me at VarmintGuyaol.com
Let me know if there are any other questions you or the wife may have.
Happy Thanksgiving
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
This is an awesome area!! I have spent much time shooting gophers and fishing here.. Never hunted big game, but great looking country...

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd recommend listening to VarmintGuy. I moved from Wasilla to Rigby, ID (between Idaho Falls and Rexburg), and moved to the Bitterroot Valley 2.5 years ago. (I'm half way between Hamilton and Missoula.)

We moved here to be by family. It is gorgeous, but it is too congested and housing is really expensive compared to some other places. If it were me, I would look really hard at Dillon.

Salmon people drive to Idaho Falls or Missoula to shop a lot of the time. I wouldn't live there, esp. with kids.

They aren't as pretty, and are windy, but Idaho Falls and Rigby have CHEAP housing. They also have great hunting and fishing within an hour. The fishing is minutes to the South Fork.

One warning about Montana and retirement taxes: I'm retired, my wife still works. We made 10K less here last year than the year before in Idaho but we paid 4k more in tazes than we did in Rigby. (Jefferson county is considered rural which has some benefits.) I know the sales tax helps, but Idaho was good to us for taxes and housing.

However, the view out of my bedroom window is really, really amazing! (9600' St. Mary's Peak.)

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would rank Dillon above your other choices. Great area!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I live in Kalispell,MT. Of your choices, I would pick Salmon, over the others. Hamilton and area is too built up and expensive. My sister lives in Darby. I agree with the others though that Dillon is a great area, with excellent fishing and hunting. Most of the Flathead elk hunters hunt down in the Dillon area.
I have thought of also retiring in the Dillon area. Stayed 3 nights this past summer in Cody, it is a big time tourist town and is expensive area to live I believe. Good luck with your search.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
VarmintGuy,

I'm trying to go to Alaska next year on a cruise, but I'll come spend a couple days in Dillon in 2018 and look it over, or next year if the cruise falls through.

I had been thinking Great Falls, but I haven't really started scouting and investigating seriously yet.

I guess my list of potential places starts now, with Dillon.

Thanks for the info!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I really don't know Cody or Salmon, but I'd definitely not live anywhere in the Bitterroot (including Hamilton). Dillon, MT the lowest electricity costs in the USA? Utter nonsense. Personally, I couldn't live in Dillon, but to each his own.

If I didn't live in Bozeman, I'd probably live somewhere in WY. Not sure where, but having spent the last 1.5 years in Jackson, it wouldn't be in a YNP tourist town (Cody). There are other really good towns in ID other than Salmon too.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunthard,
I have spent time in all the places on your list and i would lean towards Salmon of those three.

Cody is nice, too windy and touristy for me.

Hamilton as others have said too congested and expensive, and liberals have discovered it.

Heard Lewistown mentioned and my take on it is the locals are very leery of outsiders, it's not really on the way to anywhere so few outsiders pass through.
Most of the surrounding area is private land and without contacts you have to drive a fair distance to hunt.
Fishing is limited to streams, it is excellent though.
Bird hunting is first rate if you have a place to hunt.
It's centrally located so if you are willing to drive a bit you can have excellent hunting and fishing.

Dillon is great for the reasons Varmint guy mentioned.

I am in the Flathead area and we have excellent fishing, scenery, trees, lakes and little wind.
The downside is cost of living, liberals and fair hunting.
We also have many grey days during the winter.

Have you considered Lander Wy. nice town and would be worth a look.

You mentioned Sheridan's lack of trees Salmon, Cody and Dillon also lack trees.

Just south of Sheridan is a tiny town called Story and it is nestled at the base of the bighorns and has a lot of trees.

Good luck on your search.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What's the word on Libby or Thompson Falls?

Also, Brad:
What are your objections to or your perceived downsides to Dillon? Just asking because I'm curious.

Last edited by DELGUE; 11/23/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Be careful of MT. They tax your retirement which sucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IDMilton
I'd recommend listening to VarmintGuy. I moved from Wasilla to Rigby, ID (between Idaho Falls and Rexburg), and moved to the Bitterroot Valley 2.5 years ago. (I'm half way between Hamilton and Missoula.)

We moved here to be by family. It is gorgeous, but it is too congested and housing is really expensive compared to some other places. If it were me, I would look really hard at Dillon.

Salmon people drive to Idaho Falls or Missoula to shop a lot of the time. I wouldn't live there, esp. with kids.

They aren't as pretty, and are windy, but Idaho Falls and Rigby have CHEAP housing. They also have great hunting and fishing within an hour. The fishing is minutes to the South Fork.

One warning about Montana and retirement taxes: I'm retired, my wife still works. We made 10K less here last year than the year before in Idaho but we paid 4k more in tazes than we did in Rigby. (Jefferson county is considered rural which has some benefits.) I know the sales tax helps, but Idaho was good to us for taxes and housing.

However, the view out of my bedroom window is really, really amazing! (9600' St. Mary's Peak.)

May I ask where you're at?

I grew up off of South Kootenai road. The view of St. Mary's peak is out of my front yard. Kootenai Creek runs maybe 200 yards from my mom's house, directly behind the Kootenai Village retirement center.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
In the northeast Buffalo, Story , etc.. The California crew has found it.. It is mostly private ground and access difficult.. Guides have hogged all the ranches, tough going in that respect..

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,574 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.