Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by irfubar
Hunthard,
I have spent time in all the places on your list and i would lean towards Salmon of those three.

Cody is nice, too windy and touristy for me.

Hamilton as others have said too congested and expensive, and liberals have discovered it.

Heard Lewistown mentioned and my take on it is the locals are very leery of outsiders, it's not really on the way to anywhere so few outsiders pass through.
Most of the surrounding area is private land and without contacts you have to drive a fair distance to hunt.
Fishing is limited to streams, it is excellent though.
Bird hunting is first rate if you have a place to hunt.
It's centrally located so if you are willing to drive a bit you can have excellent hunting and fishing.

Dillon is great for the reasons Varmint guy mentioned.

I am in the Flathead area and we have excellent fishing, scenery, trees, lakes and little wind.
The downside is cost of living, liberals and fair hunting.
We also have many grey days during the winter.

Have you considered Lander Wy. nice town and would be worth a look.

You mentioned Sheridan's lack of trees Salmon, Cody and Dillon also lack trees.

Just south of Sheridan is a tiny town called Story and it is nestled at the base of the bighorns and has a lot of trees.

Good luck on your search.

Huh???

Yes, a lot of the land around Lewistown is deeded, until you gain a little elevation, then you are in public lands. And there are 5 mountain ranges around Lewistown, Snowies, Judiths, Belts, Moccasins and Highwoods.

As to locals being leery of outsiders. Never noticed that. Guessing it depends on the person who is the outsider???

Montana MOFO
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Timber is a must need trees . Does Dillion area have much?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hunthard
Timber is a must need trees . Does Dillion area have much?

Not till you gain much altitude out of town.

We looked at a small ranch halfway 'tween Dillon and Butte a few years ago. We really liked the town.

Salmon is high on our list of a place to retire in also, nice place. Have heard the economy isn't great, but in retirement you may not have to worry about that.

Also spent about a year trying to make a deal on a ranch outside of Mackay. Love that area, just couldn't make the numbers work this time, hopefully sometime in the future.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We also liked Mackay, Cascade but seems a bit touristy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T-Inman, I'm two miles east, in Stevensville itself. I have a friend who lives on South Kootenai. (Bryan S.)
I'm loving the area, but the taxes on my retirement hit us hard compared to Idaho. Lots of nice people here, but it is too crowded for me. I'm just amazed at all the private property compared to SE Idaho.
'
The OP said he had kids. Look at Dillons schools and see how they do with academics and sports and how Salmon's schools do. I was in Salmon Saturday night. Town seemed slow except for the bars. I guess you could go stand shoulder-to-shoulder and fish for steelhead in Shoup with everyone else. (I don't know how to insert a smiley face here.)
In Idaho you about a 50/50 chance to draw a cow tag down there (IIRC), or can put in for a 1 in 4 bull tag, or hunt spikes for a week. Or, if you live in Montana, you can hunt branched bull or cow with an over the counter tag for five weeks west on Dillon.
Don't get me wrong, I really like Idaho. But...

My oldest boy Friday, west of Dillon, OTC tag: (5x2 non-typical.)
[Linked Image]

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
IC B2

T
T
hunthard, Shoot me a call if you like and I can give you all the lowdown on Hamilton, good and bad. I promise I wont try to sell ya a hunt, lol.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
In the northeast Buffalo, Story , etc.. The California crew has found it.. It is mostly private ground and access difficult.. Guides have hogged all the ranches, tough going in that respect..

^^^^^^^ tHIS^^^^^^^^

Lots of Cal. plates during hunting season, to go with the Wis. and Minnesota plates.....Private land here is private( meaning leased up and don't bother asking) fishing is decent and public land is overrun during the hunting season.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by DELGUE
What's the word on Libby or Thompson Falls?

Also, Brad:
What are your objections to or your perceived downsides to Dillon? Just asking because I'm curious.

Libby, while beautiful, with plenty of trees, has had some serious issues... Health issues, cancer rates, etc... Caused by the mine. Property values are pretty cheap though.

Good hunting and good fishing nearby.

My family has a house there that might be for sale someday. Nice old place.

Guy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by GuyM
Originally Posted by DELGUE
What's the word on Libby or Thompson Falls?

Also, Brad:
What are your objections to or your perceived downsides to Dillon? Just asking because I'm curious.

Libby, while beautiful, with plenty of trees, has had some serious issues... Health issues, cancer rates, etc... Caused by the mine. Property values are pretty cheap though.

Good hunting and good fishing nearby.

My family has a house there that might be for sale someday. Nice old place.

Guy

Industrial-related health problems tends to make for cheap property.

Prolly cheap land in Flint right about now, too.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IDMilton
T-Inman, I'm two miles east, in Stevensville itself. I have a friend who lives on South Kootenai. (Bryan S.)
I'm loving the area, but the taxes on my retirement hit us hard compared to Idaho. Lots of nice people here, but it is too crowded for me. I'm just amazed at all the private property compared to SE Idaho.
'
The OP said he had kids. Look at Dillons schools and see how they do with academics and sports and how Salmon's schools do. I was in Salmon Saturday night. Town seemed slow except for the bars. I guess you could go stand shoulder-to-shoulder and fish for steelhead in Shoup with everyone else. (I don't know how to insert a smiley face here.)
In Idaho you about a 50/50 chance to draw a cow tag down there (IIRC), or can put in for a 1 in 4 bull tag, or hunt spikes for a week. Or, if you live in Montana, you can hunt branched bull or cow with an over the counter tag for five weeks west on Dillon.
Don't get me wrong, I really like Idaho. But...

My oldest boy Friday, west of Dillon, OTC tag: (5x2 non-typical.)
[Linked Image]

Thanks. Lots of folks have moved into that area...don't know Bryan S, but I am sure I have met/passed him.

The Bitterroot is getting crowded for sure. Californian's have found it, just like everywhere else decent. Still lots of public land in the Bitterroots and Sapphires, but only so much of it is accessible, winter or summer. Simply too rugged and timbered in a lot of places. Its kind of nice in a way.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
British Columbia or Alberta, Canada: Good schools, average (but free) health care, amazing hunting and fishing, great culture and family values. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty
British Columbia or Alberta, Canada: Good schools, average (but free) health care, amazing hunting and fishing, great culture and family values. smile

My wife has an aunt in Cardston who we visited a few months back.
She talked about a six month wait for a PET scan,
my dad waits about 5 days for his here in the states.

Average?

Black Cows Matter!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is it that bad now? I haven't been back in almost 10 years. An example for why Obamacare is bound to fail as-is... If you can afford to, buy extra insurance and come to the U.S. (best health care for those who are insured or can afford it).

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There are some pretty comprehensive realtor websites out there that could assist hunt hard in his search.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife and I left Missoula 30 years ago because just day-floating the Bitterroot River was getting to be a PITA, especially fighting the traffic on Highway 93 to get back home, and the hunting was crowded anywhere on public land from Missoula to Hamilton.

On the occasions when I have to drive through the area now it's obviously far more crowded. But then I was born and raised in Montana when it had less than 2/3 the people it has now, so my perspective may be a little skewed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am sure that must make you, Sharpnel and Scenarshooter terribly sad.. Make me feel that way!!

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've lived in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. As others have mentioned watch out for Montana taxes and they have high vehicle insurance rates.

Wyoming is alright but plenty of it has wind and you'll spend lots of travel time to get somewhere for shopping or essentials to an hub city.

Idaho? I wouldn't find Salmon the best choice.

Thompson Falls MT is nice and in Idaho anything south of Coeur d Alene down to Grangeville is nice. I really like where the Palouse area meets the woodlands and also I like the St Maries area and little settlements like Deary, Bovill, and Fernwood along the Whitepine scenic drive.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Two choices that may have been already suggested. Mountain Home, Idaho, and Twin Falls, Idaho. TF is pretty. MH isn't. But both have excellent access to the out of doors. Good hunting, fishing, white water, hot springs, and camping nearby.

For clarification, Mountain Home is NOT in the mountains. It's on the Snake River Plain and is windy and mostly butt ugly. But go in any direction and it soon gets beautiful. Plus its under an hour drive to Boise for shopping, entertainment and the airport.

It's original name was Rattlesnake Station. But that wasn't conducive to selling land sight unseen.

Both towns are Southwest Idaho where the predominate weather is off of the Pacific. So winters are comparatively mild for Idaho.

TF is higher in elevation and colder than MH. If you include the population within thirty miles it may be fifty thousand souls. TF is a favored refugee resettlement city. So is Boise. If that bothers anyone, don't move there. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Last edited by idahoguy101; 11/28/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of those three.....
Salmon.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker

Thompson Falls MT is nice and in Idaho anything south of Coeur d Alene down to Grangeville is nice. I really like where the Palouse area meets the woodlands and also I like the St Maries area and little settlements like Deary, Bovill, and Fernwood along the Whitepine scenic drive.

Stop it.
Right now.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
525 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.