Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hunthard: On a clear day (which most are!) I can see 6 (six!) mountain ranges from my home all are forested with parks and some bare ridges (great Elk habitats).
Those mountains are: Pioneer Range, Highland Range, Tobacco Roots, Blacktail Range, Tendoys, Ruby Range and if you please the Sweetwater Hills! Again all of these have varying degrees of forestation denseness.
Here in the wide valleys that come together near Dillon the only natural trees are cottonwoods and willows along the watercourses.
Many of my friends and neighbors cut firewood in the nearby forests.
Some of the forests ("trees") in view from my house are so thick they are referred to as "dog hair" thickets.
Other forests are much less dense.
Good luck in your search.
Remember sales tax is non-existent here in Montana and vehicles once attaining ten years of age are eligible for "permanent registration" - no more yearly excise tax!
And the property taxes are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less here than where my wife and I moved from!
Don't forget Dillon's lowest in the United States electricity rates!
Gas was $2.13 here this morning.
Clean air, no fog, no gray, only 3 days a year when the temperature gets above 92 degrees (100 year averages), only 9.75" of moisture per year - I believe we live in heaven on earth here!
And I been around!
Again best of luck in your search.
(I believe both Wyoming and Idaho have sales taxes - do they not? Someone please correct me if I am wrong here).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what's your price per kilowatt hr, VG?

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oktoberfest almost went through my snout.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wageslave
what's your price per kilowatt hr, VG?

Not sure where VG comes up with his "lowest electric rates" in the US...

Dillon, MT is 9.31 cents per kWh.

Jackson, WY is 5.96 cents per kWh.

Both residential rates...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My wife and I left Missoula 30 years ago because just day-floating the Bitterroot River was getting to be a PITA, especially fighting the traffic on Highway 93 to get back home, and the hunting was crowded anywhere on public land from Missoula to Hamilton.

On the occasions when I have to drive through the area now it's obviously far more crowded. But then I was born and raised in Montana when it had less than 2/3 the people it has now, so my perspective may be a little skewed.

I talk like you when I have to drive into Minneapolis. I think we have reached the "curmudgeon stage".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Two choices that may have been already suggested. Mountain Home, Idaho, and Twin Falls, Idaho. TF is pretty. MH isn't. But both have excellent access to the out of doors. Good hunting, fishing, white water, hot springs, and camping nearby.

For clarification, Mountain Home is NOT in the mountains. It's on the Snake River Plain and is windy and mostly butt ugly. But go in any direction and it soon gets beautiful. Plus its under an hour drive to Boise for shopping, entertainment and the airport.

It's original name was Rattlesnake Station. But that wasn't conducive to selling land sight unseen.

Both towns are Southwest Idaho where the predominate weather is off of the Pacific. So winters are comparatively mild for Idaho.

TF is higher in elevation and colder than MH. If you include the population within thirty miles it may be fifty thousand souls. TF is a favored refugee resettlement city. So is Boise. If that bothers anyone, don't move there. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Why can't they resettle them in Baltimore or Chicago or some other such schithole and keep the West unsullied?

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Best is to move to the general local you are interested in and rent for a year

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Best is to move to the general local you are interested in and rent for a year

this is probably the best advice on the thread! My wife and I are looking to retire/relocate to WY/MT/ID somewhere and this is one thing we will probably do. Also, visit the area in different times of the year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of those choices I'd take over my prospects. Congrats and good luck!

PS- My envy may cause me to hate you just a little bit... wink

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Visiting at different times of year, or renting for a year, are both very good ideas. A friend of mine who, by accident of birth, grew up in the Los Angeles area eventually decided to move out 20-some years ago, partly because his young son was about to start school. He'd spent considerable time hunting in various parts of the West, and decided to build a house on the outskirts of Sheridan, Wyoming.

Choosing Sheridan was due to several factors, but one was locals describing the climate as "mild." He'd been there several times in October and the weather always had been mild, so he bought a chunk of land on top of a hill outside of town, typical of a Los Angeles native where the higher-up you live the better the view and social status. The house had picture windows all along the south wall, so he and his family could admire the superb view of the local mountains.

By the time the house was finished it was early winter. The moving van with his family's furniture could not make it up the steep and ice-covered "driveway" to the hilltop house, so they had to offload everything at the bottom of the hill into my friend's brand-new 4WD pickup. Shortly after that a "cold snap" dropped temperatures dropped lower than -20 several nights in a row, and my friend's pickup would not start even when kept in the unheated garage, because he hadn't had an engine heater installed.

A few months later the sunlight through all the south-facing picture windows heated the house considerably, because the other sides of the house had very few windows that could be opened, in order to save heat in winter. He hadn't had air conditioning installed when the house was built because, obviously, Wyoming is cool during summer--but by the end of that summer he did.

He'd moved to Wyoming to avoid Montana's income tax, but discovered the Wyoming sales tax was enough to make shopping in Billings (Montana doesn't have a sales tax) worth it at least once a month, despite the 250+ mile round-trip drive. He was traveling a lot then for his job, and also discovered driving to the Billings airport was more practical than flying out of the little local airport--which often only took him to Billings anyway.

He still lives in Sheridan, and of course far prefers it to the LA area. But on more than one occasion he's wished he'd done a little more research before the move, especially about the local definition of "mild."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And to add to that, within a small geographic area, weather can be remarkably different. You can't know that unless you live in a place for a while, and ASK a lot of questions of locals.

Case in point is the little mini "frontrange" of the Bridger's here in Bozeman, aka "Springhill." Lower Springhill is VERY windy. Many parts of upper Springhill have little or no wind. If wind is not part of your equation where you build, you're not really thinking things through.

Also, the oft repeated mantra that folks moving here repeat, "trees, creeks, views." Not realizing, trees = snow. Lots more snow. Most locals are happy living without trees to avoid an additional month+ of an already long winter...

Yes, it pays to rent for a time when moving to a new area. But also realize you bring with you prejudices that may not serve you best in the long term... be flexible.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Visiting at different times of year, or renting for a year, are both very good ideas. A friend of mine who, by accident of birth, grew up in the Los Angeles area eventually decided to move out 20-some years ago, partly because his young son was about to start school. He'd spent considerable time hunting in various parts of the West, and decided to build a house on the outskirts of Sheridan, Wyoming.

Choosing Sheridan was due to several factors, but one was locals describing the climate as "mild." He'd been there several times in October and the weather always had been mild, so he bought a chunk of land on top of a hill outside of town, typical of a Los Angeles native where the higher-up you live the better the view and social status. The house had picture windows all along the south wall, so he and his family could admire the superb view of the local mountains.

By the time the house was finished it was early winter. The moving van with his family's furniture could not make it up the steep and ice-covered "driveway" to the hilltop house, so they had to offload everything at the bottom of the hill into my friend's brand-new 4WD pickup. Shortly after that a "cold snap" dropped temperatures dropped lower than -20 several nights in a row, and my friend's pickup would not start even when kept in the unheated garage, because he hadn't had an engine heater installed.

A few months later the sunlight through all the south-facing picture windows heated the house considerably, because the other sides of the house had very few windows that could be opened, in order to save heat in winter. He hadn't had air conditioning installed when the house was built because, obviously, Wyoming is cool during summer--but by the end of that summer he did.

He'd moved to Wyoming to avoid Montana's income tax, but discovered the Wyoming sales tax was enough to make shopping in Billings (Montana doesn't have a sales tax) worth it at least once a month, despite the 250+ mile round-trip drive. He was traveling a lot then for his job, and also discovered driving to the Billings airport was more practical than flying out of the little local airport--which often only took him to Billings anyway.

He still lives in Sheridan, and of course far prefers it to the LA area. But on more than one occasion he's wished he'd done a little more research before the move, especially about the local definition of "mild."

Taxes are raised in the USA by four methods' incomes taxes, sales taxes, fees, and property taxes. If where you want to live doesn't have one then the others take up the slack. Try to live somewhere you like and were the greed of the State and local governments isn't insane!

Last edited by idahoguy101; 11/29/16.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Brad: Not sure where YOU came up with that outrageous amount of "9.31 cents per kWh hour" but I just got off the phone with my electricity provider (Vigilante Electric 225 E. Bannack St. Dillon, Montana 59725 Phones 1-406-683-2327 or 1-800-221-8271) and they verified what is on my bill as my paying 5.80 cents per kWh!
So your contention/post is ABSOLUTELY incorrect - if you doubt me please call either of the provided numbers and inquire for yourself!

Correct information provided by me is:
Dillon, MT is 5.80 cents per kWh!
I am not sure about Jackson, Wyoming as I do not have a residence there!

Incorrect information provided by Brad:
Dillon, MT is 9.31 cents per kWh - again this is outrageously incorrect!

Each election cycle I attend that monthly meeting of the board and nominate my good friend, gun trading partner and Gopher Hunting partner to be the ongoing President of the Board of Directors of my electricity provider - and I always check to make sure "we" are still contracted with Bonneville Power and are still getting the lowest rates in the United States of America!
Now its been a couple of years since the last election and we have had a SMALL increase but to my knowledge "we" still have the lowest electric rates in the United States of America - if not I bet we are very near the lowest.
Good-day.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
http://www.electricitylocal.com/states/montana/dillon/

http://www.electricitylocal.com/states/wyoming/jackson/

If in fact you have the lowest electric rates in the USA, I'm glad for you. Perhaps Vigilante, being a cooperative, can provide that.

I lived in Jackson, and have been told they typically are at the bottom. Never, ever heard that about Dillon, but Vigilante might just be doing it. But since the former MT Republican administration under Gov Roscoe completely screwed Montanan's out of the best utility in America (Montana Power), I've not heard Montana is anywhere near "cheap" in terms of power. That was the case prior to 1999, but not now. Your little region might be an exception.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For "mild" winters there's Dillon, Whitehall and Townsend. I could live in any one of them. All are small and good hunting and fishing not far from any of them.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I consider anything south of the Yellowstone River as mild(winters).

Other than some high elevation mountain hell-hole.

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/29/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I consider anything south of the Yellowstone River as mild(winters).

LOL, Jackson is anything but mild. Makes Bozeman look like the banana belt. But it is nearly 1,500' higher.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad, foul hook.

That was intended for Varmint.......grin

see edit

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/29/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL, understood.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 39 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,464
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.