Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
These are the towns I'm considering moving to I'm retired military currently in Alaska have two little ones to raise. Good People small town values, hunting, fishing opportunities, and sense of community are important.

Please weigh in if you have any insight on these places .

Thanks Kindly

Last edited by hunthard; 11/20/16.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
hunthard, I can give you a little info on Cody. Overall a real nice town, lots of western atmosphere. I think that sales tax is still at 4%. Although the state/counties hit you hard on vehicle license plates(all vehicles), if it has wheels it gets taxed... plenty and yearly. Wyoming has one of the best educational systems in the states. Pleasant weather(for Wy.), but a little windy. And, the area has almost unlimited outdoor activities! Overall, not a bad place to live!! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/20/16.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Back in 2003 when I retired,we looked at Cody, Billings,Red Lodge and a few other places in Mt and WY. I could not sell what I have and replace it with about the same without taking out a considerable sized new mortgage.Not what I need in retirement years.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

We did exactly the same thing three or four years ago. House prices there were much, much higher for the same sized house in Georgia.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Salmon or Hamilton - either would be nice. Cody is too touristy.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

W
W
I live in Cody if you have any questions.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would look at Idaho falls as another place. Wyoming is nice but every time I driven through their it always been howling wind....

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks All for your input . Decisions!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We want a town of 3-10k not to big or too small .

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will say pinedale Wyoming is a neat little town in the winter in the summer time looks like it gets its fair share of tourist. Another place is ashton Idaho it is smaller than what you are looking for but you are not to far from rexburgh and Idaho falls.

Last edited by 79S; 11/21/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunthard

Maybe you have reasons for the three towns you listed but if I had unlimited choices I would be moving to Lewistown, Montana.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hamilton is a nice town. Beautiful setting. Some pretty good public-land hunting. The Bitterroot is too congested for me. A lot of new settlement from outside the area. Losing the feel you/I would epect or want from a small town in Montana.

Cody is also nice, but as a previous poster mentioned, too touristy for me. Too many people and a huge tourist influx in the Spring-Summer-Fall. No thanks.

Can't speak to Salmon.

Given your description, I would look into Sheridan, Wy. Although the population is above your limit, it does not have the congested feel that Cody or Hamilton have. One of the few places I would consider relocating to in Wyoming.

Might also be worth the time to look into Lewistown. Great location. Wonderful outdoor activities. Reasonably convenient to a large city. Maybe consider Dillon also. Another good ag town that is nestled in the midst of good hunting and not overcrowded.

Last edited by Tarkio; 11/21/16.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For what it’s worth, I see Salmon, ID, mentioned a lot on various websites regarding good places to retire to. That could be good (must be a good place to retire to if lots of sites think so?) and/or bad (if everybody keeps talking about it it will grow and mebbeso quit being so good). I’ve never been there, but will be retiring in 4 years and wanna land in Montana somewhere.

If you are a fur trade history buff, Pinedale has the Museum of the Mountain Man, and it used to have a Rendezvous every year (dunno if it still does or not).

I’ve only been to Cody once, on a day trip to visit the Buffalo Bill Museum. It’s within easy striking distance of Yellowstone, if you wanna take the kids there or camp, and there are several wildernesses in close proximity if you want to hunt.

Good luck on your hunt for a place to move to!

Last edited by DELGUE; 11/21/16.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My wife is from Sheridan and your right its a nice town but just not many trees unless you get creek front property. Sent a PM to Fishn4eyes , I also would like to have a chance to draw a bighorn tag not sure which state would give me the best chance as a resident. Feel free to call me if anybody has some ideas (907)460-0050

Thanks Guys

God Bless

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Maybe you have reasons for the three towns you listed but if I had unlimited choices I would be moving to Lewistown, Montana.

Why do you prefer Lewistown?

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I would pick Idaho.. If I ever sell out here, that is where I will go.. Lots of small game, birds, big game, open country. Plus the fishing is something else, warm water, trout, steelhead, and salmon.. It has it all..

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One big thing Wyoming has going for it is no state income tax. That's a big deal in retirement.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Everything else here is expensive.. I just came back from Billings.. We do much shopping there.. My wife likes a box wine.. Here in town it is $23/box.. In Casper $17/box and in Billings it was $12.. There are benefits of living in a rural state, but cheap is not one of them..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
WyoCoyoteHunter, I Concure!!!!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DELGUE
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Why do you prefer Lewistown?

Great location. Easy to get to Billings. Still a small, laid back ag town sitting amongst a few mountain ranges. Good fishing and hunting. Great community.

Montana MOFO
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1337Fungi, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.