Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Not much of a story on this one - was poking around this morning on our family's land and caught this guy chasing does along with a couple of smaller bucks. Rutting mule deer are a hoot - at the shot, this one dropped in his tracks but the does ran straight towards me with the other bucks in hot pursuit. Watched the bucks chase the does for a bit at 50+ yards while waiting to take care of this one. They all acted like they had no idea I was there...

All happened within 100 yards of the truck though it was all blow downs in between for the 'pack out'. Custom FN Mauser chambered in the rainbow cartridge - aka 270, with a Barnes 130 TTSX whistle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It didn't bounce off!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Bingo. Nice work.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet! Gotta love it when they expire close to the truck. Now if could get them to die in the bed of the truck even better.

Last edited by bwinters; 11/22/16.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn 270's.... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Tenderloins didn't make it to the freezer - pulled from carcass in the field, seasoned and grilled one on hardwood charcoal tonight. I didn't share with anyone or have any side dishes - all protein dinner:

[Linked Image]

Not sure if I'll share the other tenderloin on Thursday either - I don't recall enjoying turkey as much...

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice work pretty buck!

Now maybe you understand prison... gay can work if it's all ya got? laugh

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
TTSX will man up a cartridge like that.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice buck!!!!

Molon Labe
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just a quick question.. Most of my mule deer bucks are killed in very early Oct. I killed one on the 13th of Oct. and he was pretty rank compared to the others.. Since this old boy was after the gals, the meat was fine???? A bit to rare for me, but no musky taste???

Molon Labe
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
He smelled bit a stronger than a pre-rut buck, but the flavor of the meat (tenderloin anyway) was fine - not gamey at all. It was pretty tough however - never had a chewy tenderloin before. The tenderloin really toughened up sitting in the fridge overnight - probably rigor mortis related. I guess I'll find out when I grill up the other one this weekend...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks, let us know how it goes!!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Complete "Overkill"...... Everyone knows that you don't use Barnes Bullets or any other premium bullet on any non dangerous game animal weighing less than 1000 lbs. I'm surprised that you were able to recover the deer! Congratulations, on the kill and choice table fare! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/26/16.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I know, right? Not sure what I was thinking using an over-penetrator like that, but this old mouser shoots the darn things better than anything else I've tried in it. The rifle itself is kind of an abortion grin stock has too much drop for a scope unless you use a chin weld, plus it's too heavy. I seem to be warming up to it though (it now wears a Leupold 6X36).

I have thought this one might be a good donor for a 400 Whelen with a receiver sight...

[Linked Image]

Thanks all!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sharp old rifle!!!!

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
It didn't bounce off!

Probably shot it a couple times with a magnum to get through the hide first.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I basically quit hunting mule deer, compared to our coues deer, you can't hardly stand to eat them. Impressive headgear, however.

We killed a bull elk Saturday with a 270 so I know it's possible!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats on the elk! I've only had one mule deer that was basically inedible. It was a bit smaller than this one shot late season in full rut chasing does. Walking up to it, my buddy and I stopped at 50 yards literally gagging at the smell. It was nasty - the dogs ate most of it but I did make some sausage (and had to toss some eek).

Lately, I've been hunting deer in lower country with muleys and white tails running together in the same habitat. I can't tell any difference in taste between the two. I shot a muley a little bigger than this one two years ago on October 31. He was running with does but not all rutted up - he was a little stronger tasting than a younger buck or doe, but very edible. My wife won't eat any venison except in stews, chili and burger (mixed with beef) so I guess it depends on the individual.

I've been experimenting with brining my venison before grilling and liking the results. I did that with the tenderloins off this one and the flavor was great - not strong or gamey at all. I'm optimistically thinking this one will be good on the table. I've always felt what they eat is a factor and muleys / white tails living and eating in the same locale should taste similar. I assume your desert muleys and coues are in the same habitat eating similar feed so your experiences apparently differ from mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish you guys would stop talking about how awful my .270 is. Up til now it has performed great but once it finds out how bad it is, I will have to buy another. I don't want to have to buy another one, I want to buy another one for absolutely no reason at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.