-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its hard to hear the noise difference with a suppressor on youtube. Until you hear one in person, it's hard to explain. With full powered loads, its not necessarily "quiet" but definitely brings noise down to a hearing friendly level. Any bullet traveling faster than the speed of sound will have the "crack" that you hear. That sound travels with the bullet so there is no way to suppress it. A good way to hear the difference is to pop a round into the dirt a few feet away. The sonic crack is very very short (obviously) so you really get to hear the effects of the can. Its quite impressive the first time you experience it.

Good silencers bring the noise level down below 140Db which is considered "hearing safe" with limited exposure. In other words, you would want ear plugs if you were firing a full magazine from a AR-15 or something like that but a few shots with a bolt action isn't bad at all. Really like a .22lr with high velocity rounds.

Last edited by wareagle700; 05/30/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RDW
It sounds much louder than a 22, did you have hearing protection?

That is the one reason I am waffling on a highpower suppressor, I don't want to wear hearing protection.

Like I said... I'm standing in the worst possible place to be when a gun goes off. I had no hearing protection on, neither did the shooter. I didn't shoot it without the can... but I bet the muzzle blast from a 17" .300 mag would be pretty obnoxious. My buddy had never been around a suppressor... he said: "it sounds like a pissed-off .22".... that's a good way to describe it.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Here's the 17" threaded Montana in .300 WSM....

Factory 180s at 2825fps... ran it from 300 to 750 today... I think it missed once....

I'm standing 8' from the muzzle in the video, with no hearing protection... directly where you would NOT want to be sans-suppressor. Note A: how quiet it is.... and B: the lack of gnarly recoil normally associated with a 7.5lb .300 Mag....

[video:youtube]7LOlruXAcDo[/video]

That's amazing. Good news (for me anyway). Thanks. DS, sent you a PM.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am puzzled by those that would complain about the added weight. Most systems are removable. If your hunt requires maximum weight saving could you not remove the device in advance and re-zero as needed?

Many people shoot more in practice than in the field and would enjoy the benefits offered by the use of a suppressor.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't read and went straight to the video, sorry.

Dave

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Bump, for the awesomeness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you going to put a can on it?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I plan on it, in the future. Hoping legislation passes to bring them down in price. I was looking for a brake to screw on it for range time. Wife needs to send a lot of rounds downrange before next hunting season.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
LGS boys thought Trump would back off the paperwork and extra fee. Feeling is they might create a form similar to the 4473 and just treat is like a firearm purchase. Would necessitate some language changes but anything is possible.
Another LGS said they would push toward just handing up the cans for sale on the shelf - without any paperwork.
Who knows what really will happen if anything.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
T
As a Kiwi this has been a very interesting thread to read. Huge culture shock, clearly, for Americans in threaded barrels. I Wonder if it has anything to do with the difficulty and cost of purchasing a suppressor?
On the other side of the globe here in Little Old NZ, every man and his dog has a suppressor with some well known world wide brands being made here in Little Old NZ.

Simple as walking in to a hunting Shop, paying a few hundred for a suppressor and throwing it on your rifle here, nothing complicated about it.

Last edited by Timmay556; 11/21/16.
IC B3

G
G
I haven't read this whole thread so apologize if it's been said before. I personally own 7 cans. And I can honestly say a suppressor has no place on a kimber montana. Your POI shift would be crazy.Not to mention the whole point of the kimber is to be LIGHT. Throwing on an extra 14+ oz you should have just bought the browning X-bolt. I suppress nearly all my firearms, but the Kimber is not one of them. You could throw a light flash hider on there or muzzle brake to protect the crown and I would see use for that. Just my .02.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did experience about a 2-in. shift with Harvester on my .308.

I do need to get a brake for bench and practice sessions, though.

Hoping Hearing Protection Act passes quickly. Want to get several more suppressors...

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by generalzip
I haven't read this whole thread so apologize if it's been said before. I personally own 7 cans. And I can honestly say a suppressor has no place on a kimber montana. Your POI shift would be crazy.Not to mention the whole point of the kimber is to be LIGHT. Throwing on an extra 14+ oz you should have just bought the browning X-bolt. I suppress nearly all my firearms, but the Kimber is not one of them. You could throw a light flash hider on there or muzzle brake to protect the crown and I would see use for that. Just my .02.

So if you suppress an x bolt, what would you get?

A kimber would be one of the lightest suppressed rifles. You are going to add 14oz to whatever rifle you put one on.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bringing up an old thread, my Harvester arrived after a 12 month wait.

The only threaded rifle I have now is an AR but I have Montana 84's, an 8400 and others that come to mind, any recommendation for shops to thread barrels?

Dave

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 30 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,575
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.