Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nothing like a cool, windy say in the stand to get you thinking. What is the most effective insulation for clothing?

Not really a backpack hunting specific question, but related. IMO the greatest test of insulation from purely a warmth perspective is the treestand. I am interested in creating a combination of clothes to stay warm in a stand, but not have too much bulk that makes shooting a bow problematic. I also have to hike in a mile or so to some stands.

Right now, I have a bottom layer of First Lite merino wool, then a warm wool sweater, a Cabela's primaloft jacket, Kuiu DCS guide jacket and then I can top it off with a Cabela's Predator® Camo Performance Fleece Jacket with wind block. This works pretty well, but what other options are out there? If the temps are around freezing and the wind is not strong I don't need the fleece. The DCS jacket is compressing the primaloft, I wonder if a looser fit would help retain heat?

What are those of you up north doing to stay warm?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would definitely try another coat that isn't compressing your insulation layer.

I don't have any revolutionary ideas, but things that have worked for me are going to a hooded down jacket (Kuiu) for my insulation layer. I have been very impressed with the added warmth the down hood provides.
I always use a waterproof/windproof outer layer to cut out the wind. If it's brutally cold out I usually go with a down vest to insulate the core as well.

Last edited by KCBighorn; 11/22/16.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wear a down sweater jacket over a couple of insulated long sleeve shirts. Then I cover the down with a thin rain shell. The shell is windproof, and the down is comfy warm and the whole setup is less bulky than most "hunting jackets". Top it off with a hat and gloves and I am good to go down to about 10 degrees. Any colder than that and I swap the down puffer for a warmer down jacket underneath. My legs rarely get cold so I wear midweight long underwear and my regular hunting pants. 600 gram thinsulate boots with regular socks are plenty warm for me as well. My feet get cold if I wear bulky socks.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
I would definitely try another coat that isn't compressing your insulation layer.

^This.

The DCS jacket is pretty slim fit. Sounds like you got some nice gear, maybe add a full weight hooded down coat to your arsenal if you're looking to pick something up?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm of the opinion, on a stand, nothing beats a heavy wool coat. LL Bean may still sell the ones with a thinsulate liner.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
I'm of the opinion, on a stand, nothing beats a heavy wool coat. LL Bean may still sell the ones with a thinsulate liner.
IMO only if they are windproof.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If I'm going out on a really cold day, I'll put on a merino blend base layer (the cheap Costco stuff), military polypro layer over that, then an insulated bib/parka that is windproof/thinsulate.

Keep zip vents open and move slow enough to not sweat, when moving.

Wool knit hat, thick neck gaiter, and heavy OP gloves for sitting around in.

I've popped a Hot-Hands or two and put them inside my parka as well, if sitting around.

Most of the me, if it's that cold, I'm not going out too far or long.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Now there's also this option on a cold windy day.....grin,

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prm
Nothing like a cool, windy say in the stand to get you thinking. What is the most effective insulation for clothing?

Not really a backpack hunting specific question, but related. IMO the greatest test of insulation from purely a warmth perspective is the treestand. I am interested in creating a combination of clothes to stay warm in a stand, but not have too much bulk that makes shooting a bow problematic. I also have to hike in a mile or so to some stands.

Right now, I have a bottom layer of First Lite merino wool, then a warm wool sweater, a Cabela's primaloft jacket, Kuiu DCS guide jacket and then I can top it off with a Cabela's Predator® Camo Performance Fleece Jacket with wind block. This works pretty well, but what other options are out there? If the temps are around freezing and the wind is not strong I don't need the fleece. The DCS jacket is compressing the primaloft, I wonder if a looser fit would help retain heat?

What are those of you up north doing to stay warm?

Below zero with a wind on stand can be a challenge of willpower. Thin and thick layer of Merino wool, wool sweater, maybe a goose down vest over that, depends on the thickness of the two. Wool pants and wool jacket of maximum thickness - yes they have some weight. Fleece balaclava, and a wool trooper hat.
My wool is Sleeping Indian (now defunct) or King of the Mountain.
Wool or down gloves.
A pair of silk or Thinsulate socks with a thick wool pair over that. If your feet tend to sweat or the walk to the stand is at least a half mile, I'll wear some cotton socks out to the stand and switch them out.
Don't put all this stuff on at the camp or cabin. I carry the wool jacket and keep the cap loose. You don't want to get steamed up and them sit for hours.

Also, I have quite a bit of Kuiu stuff but I wouldn't wear a DCS Guide Jacket in this application.

By the way, we have had to do this very thing in New Mexico in Jan. on our elk hunts. Temps have dropped to -20* and lower in the morning. We actually start hiking quite chilled with extra clothing in the packs. If we get to a spot and believe to be there for some time, we will switch out a sweaty base layer top and put on new wool socks. Waiting and glassing in clammy clothing is not enjoyable.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/23/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've run into the same issue before. I've been hunting in NW and central PA for 40 years (painful to say that....).

I've worn alot of wool but find it way to heavy and when wet is heavier. Last year I bought a set of First Lite Sanctuary bibs and coat. It is fairly lightweight. I'll try it this upcoming week and see how it does.

If it's cold, I plan is to wear Merino wool base layer (icebreaker 260 top, FL Allegheny bottom), FL Labrador sweater, FL Uncompagrhe puffy, FL Sanctuary, Cabelas Whitetail boots (1200 gr). Sounds like alot of clothes but sitting from before daylight till dark in 25-30 temps with high humidity can be challenging, especially if wind is thrown in.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A neck gaiter or buff helps a lot in staying warm w/o adding much weight or bulk.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Now there's also this option on a cold windy day.....grin,

[Linked Image]

I have that option for elk hunting!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm

Right now, I have a bottom layer of First Lite merino wool, then a warm wool sweater, a Cabela's primaloft jacket,
Kuiu DCS guide jacket and then I can top it off with a Cabela's Predator® Camo Performance Fleece Jacket with wind block.

How come you don't have a down mid- layer? You could reduce your complex layering and less effective synthetics
by employing down. - No man-made or natural fibre beats the thermal efficiency of premium high-loft goose down.

http://rab.equipment/us/mens/insulation/positron-jacket-30

1- A skin/base layer mid-weight (260gm) merino 'body fit' Ice Breaker,
2- down jacket (hydrophobic down and 100% wind-proof outer) ,
3- full protective shell layer.....what more do you really need?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Down is a consideration. The primaloft is warm, but the one I have is relatively light. Eyeing a Kuiu super down jacket and some cabelas wooltimate pants with a wind blocker layer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For backpacking I use a silk base layer, merino SS shirt, merino LS shirt, Sporthill 3SP jacket, Costco down jacket mid-layer, and Kuiu Guide jacket outer layer. I ordered the Guide jacket a size large so I could fit a few layers under it. Then I wear a merino toque with a Guide beanie, and a wool neck gaiter.

When I'm not walking too far, Canadian military standard issue wool is about as good as I've found.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I ordered the pants and a larger jacket that should work better with a down layer. I'll have a first lite merino wool base, cabelas wooltimate pants, a Kuhl wool sweater top, Kuiu super down jacket and an outer layer

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've found the fancy technical gear (Kuiu, FL, Sitka) to be less effective for inactive hunting like treestands except for maybe a down layer.

Something I have found useful is a wool cycling jersey as a mid layer with chemical handwarmers in the pockets which are conveniently located over your kidneys where there is a lot of blood flow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Merino wool base top and bottoms
Wool blend socks
Down vest
Wind proof synthetic jacket and pants
Beanie and neck gator

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Down or similar synthetic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tdbob
A neck gaiter or buff helps a lot in staying warm w/o adding much weight or bulk.

Truth. A merino balaclava is a damned good thing to have.

Down or puffy mid-layer is a must-have as well.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,614
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.