Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have a pair of No1 and had two others in the past. it seems the key to future sales is adding new calibers. In my case at least, I have or had enough that it would take something a bit unique to get my attention. I also have two 1885's. I would like a fifty.

I can think of two for the No1. First on my list would be the 500NE. I think that would sell, just as a collector item and a novelty and because it is probably the biggest round that will fit in the No1. Hornady loads ammo. It has a good history in Africa and was chambered in single shots that looked like the No1. I mean historically accurate.

I would also look seriously at a 500 S&W magnum. I dont have a revolver, but; they seem to be very popular. The X frame S&W are found in most local shops. Having the option to get a rifle might be the last push for me to get a smith and a ruger. I think, the 500 mag would make a heck of a rifle. I am really hope this 500 mag is a good idea for a No1.

Either of these would be 'different' and new in a No1. I also like the idea of a rimmed round in a single shot. In a big or medium 50, sub MOA accuracy is not important as it would be in 17 to 30 caliber option.

Winchester and Sharps chambered big 50 in the day. I think one of those might go over well in an 1885. Maybe 2 1/2 inch sharps. There is modern brass for that. No factory ammo.

What do you guys think? The 50 seems to be a popular round in baewolf, BMG, X frame modern world. How an old school single shot?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally I'd like to have a Sharps in .50-90, and I've nearly jumped on a couple of them. The .50-140 is too much of a good thing, even with black powder.

I've shot a Verney Caron .577 Nitro double, and despite weighing 14 lbs one shot was quite enough. frown A .470 Nitro double was not bad at all. My .475 Turnbull #1 - which is basically a short .470 Nitro - is not bad, even though it weighs only 9 lbs with scope & mounts. So I guess a .500 Nitro #1 might be tolerable. For once I might pick the truck axle D weight barrel.

The traditional British single shots, like the Fahrquharsen, the Henry, or the Field's Patent, I think are more appealing in the big Nitro calibers. But of course originals and reproductions tend to be expensive. A Shiloh is a bargain in comparison...and makes the same size holes smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I would like to try a shiloh 50-90 someday. The 140 was never loaded by sharps. I read someplace there might have been an experimental 1885. I am with you too much of a good thing. Shiloh may have dropped that 140 along with the 45-120 which is another round that never was.

The 500NE is probably a must reload round due to ammo cost. That could be a plus for some buyers and a negative for others. I assume some will never buy ammo and just collect it. The single does not have the regulation issues of a double. The 500 takes standard .510 bullets. That leaves any owner with a lot of flexibility up or down the power scale. This is one I would buy for sure.

The S&W 500 X frame cannot be any cake walk either and they sell very well. And here too reloading changes the whole ball game. I see a lot of 500 SW ammo on the shelves. They use .500 bullets.

I think there is a market for guns that are a challenge to shoot or bragging. Or dreaming!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by fourbore
I think there is a market for guns that are a challenge to shoot or bragging. Or dreaming!

"Oh, really?" Um ... yeah. Long live dreaming!! If all we cared about was practicality we'd have .22 long rifle, .223, '06, and ... boredom. Dead stuff, but boredom. I'd probably have to take up golf. frown

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd like and RSI in 500 Linebaugh.

That statement invariable leads to someone saying "better yet, .50 Alaskan".
No, I don't need to be beat up that much.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I found this in wiki pedia on the 500 Linebaugh :

The .500 Linebaugh is a proprietary cartridge and thus has not been adopted by mainline firearms manufacturers. Currently no firearms manufacturers make revolvers specifically for this cartridge.

I dont think Ruger is going to pay a license fee when they could just as easy chamber an industry standard 500 S&W mag with good ammo and component availability. The Linebaugh is a .510 that is a good standard, but more for big rifles than pistol rounds.

For a revolver this looks like a world more practical than a 4.5 pound S&W with an ear busting muzzle brake. That is not my call, the world is what it is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No one makes a production gun in 500 Linebaugh. There are plenty of custom smiths building and "remanufacturing" guns in 500 Linebaugh however, some marked as such, others marked as 500 Magnum.

Yes, a 500 S&W would probably be a better seller. But I don't want one, I want one in 500 Linebaugh. laugh

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For just pure fun and economy the .500 S&W is a great way to go. I have a 4" Smith and 20" Encore and both are a hoot to shoot...

I've settled on 350 grain bullets as they are inexpensive and don't recoil much even with full loads...

I once shot a friends 500 double rifle...it was the only gun I shot once that I was not sure I could/wanted to fire the second round...but I did...just no joy in it at all...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Based on the "Dark Day", I will have to be content with what No1 I already have. No more, of these wish list for the future threads .....

I may look into an Encore in 500 S&W.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
367 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.