Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm sure some have already seen this (they've been on sale for about a week), but Cabelas is having a nice sale on their Euro Instinct 3-9x40 scopes - duplex or ext reticles for $250 each.

I've read good things about the Meopro (which is what I understand these to be) and decided to try one out.

Cabelas link

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a screaming deal, I now own a few of them. These are indeed Meopro, and are essentially the original Zeiss Conquest as Meopta made those for Zeiss.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great deal I love my Meopta fixed 6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bersh; 11/23/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How are you supposed to put a flip up lens cover over that ugly azz fast focus ring ?

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Don't use ugly azz flip up lense covers. The scope comes with much better lense covers anyway.

I have an older Zeiss Conquest and bought one of these with the ext reticles when they were priced at $279 about a year ago. I also had a $99 off coupon at the time. I liked it enough to order a 2nd one at $250 yesterday. I don't even have a rifle that needs one, but this was a $650 scope when it had Zeiss labels on it a few years ago.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
How are you supposed to put a flip up lens cover over that ugly azz fast focus ring ?

I didn't know that was a prerequisite for a hunting scope.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just like any other scope. You must be a Leupold snob and prefer to focus the same way scopes were focused 50 years ago.

The scope comes with rubber flip off covers that are pretty nice, so you don't need the flip caps.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane

It sure the hell is with me. I won't hunt a rifle without them. It's either raining, sleeting or snowing most of the time here during deer season and I won't fugg around with any other type of lens covers when hunting. Unless you live in the fuggin desert or your hunting is in open country with lots of time to prepare for a shot or you hunt mostly out of blinds or you're just a fair weather hunter, they're pretty damned indespensible.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bersh

Just like any other scope. You must be a Leupold snob and prefer to focus the same way scopes were focused 50 years ago.

The scope comes with rubber flip off covers that are pretty nice, so you don't need the flip caps.
Those rubber flip off covers suck azz and no I don't have any use for fast focus eye pieces. All my scopes have the old fashioned ocular bell/lock ring focus and that's the way it's gonna stay.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Like this!

First pic in my Photobucket with one.... I can dig deeper if you want a closer pic. Butler Creek's work fine on them.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It sure the hell is with me. I won't hunt a rifle without them. It's either raining, sleeting or snowing most of the time here during deer season and I won't fugg around with any other type of lens covers when hunting. Unless you live in the fuggin desert or your hunting is in open country with lots of time to prepare for a shot or you hunt mostly out of blinds or you're just a fair weather hunter, they're pretty damned indespensible.

I don't live in the desert. And, I manage.

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Like this!

First pic in my Photobucket with one.... I can dig deeper if you want a closer pic. Butler Creek's work fine on them.

[Linked Image]
Two questions. Do they actually seal over that big grooved ring and have you ever tried to wiggle the fast fucus eyepiece while looking through the scope ? Most I've tried have some play in the ring and you can see the crosshairs move on target when they do.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

It's easy to look good when you hunt in great places.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's easy to look good when you hunt in great places.

I see. You hunt uphill both ways and there isn't a sole that's better at it than you are.
It's a big world - you should experience it sometime.

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Like this!

[Linked Image]
Two questions. Do they actually seal over that big grooved ring and have you ever tried to wiggle the fast fucus eyepiece while looking through the scope ? Most I've tried have some play in the ring and you can see the crosshairs move on target when they do.

They do seal up ok on the ocular, or at least as well as on anything. I've had BC's leak on me before on Leupold's. In FACT, my very first fight on the Campfire (sigh.... nostalgia.... grin) was because I said that, and someone thought that was STRICTLY VERBOTEN to say so!

I have not tried tried wiggling it. Dunno about that. My Conquests have as a rule been very solid mechanically though.

Hey, like what you like, no arguments from me. Just wanted to pitch in since I've used BC's on 4 different models of Conquest and I do hunt in the rain.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Jeff. Might need to give one a more serious look.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You don't need one Ken you don't need one ken you don't need one ken

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If only they had the #4 reticle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
right?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup have the #4 in my fixed 6x for a hunting scope it's my favorite reticle by a long shot!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How does this scope compare the the Leupold VX3/VX3i?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Travis13

I think they are better, but it's a pretty subjective thing. Generally, they are at least on par or in the same class.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This weekend,I compared a new Leupold VX3i in 2.5-8x36 to a new Meopta 3-9x42. They were both good,small scopes. The Leupold is lighter and more compact,its on a Kimber Hunter and seems ideal for the little rifle. I think the Meopta maybe a touch better in dim light,but its larger.

The leupold and meopta both had standard duplex reticles. I think I prefered the leupold,it was a tad bolder and made the leupold about as good in low light as the meopta.

These scopes are close enough to pick based on personal preference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

This weekend,I compared a new Leupold VX3i in 2.5-8x36 to a new Meopta 3-9x42. They were both good,small scopes. The Leupold is lighter and more compact,its on a Kimber Hunter and seems ideal for the little rifle. I think the Meopta maybe a touch better in dim light,but its larger.

The leupold and meopta both had standard duplex reticles. I think I prefered the leupold,it was a tad bolder and made the leupold about as good in low light as the meopta.

The Cabelas 3-9x40 and the Meopta 3-9x42 are completely different scopes. The Meopta has a much larger rear bell, is shorter, heavier, has shorter eye relief, and I didn't like it as much as the Cabelas version. I was able to do a side-by-each in a store about a month ago. The Cabelas version is identical to a Zeiss Conquest (eurooptics version, no longer have an older Conquest in 3-9 to compare to, so not sure if they are the same or not) I have. For $250 this should be a no-brainer.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

The Cabelas 3-9x40 and the Meopta 3-9x42 are completely different scopes. The Meopta has a much larger rear bell, is shorter, heavier, has shorter eye relief, and I didn't like it as much as the Cabelas version. I was able to do a side-by-each in a store about a month ago. The Cabelas version is identical to a Zeiss Conquest (eurooptics version, no longer have an older Conquest in 3-9 to compare to, so not sure if they are the same or not) I have. For $250 this should be a no-brainer.

Is the plex in the cabelas the same thinnish plex on the meopta?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by killindeer

They are similar, but the I think the cabelas is thicker. The z-plex is thicker than the standard duplex, and to my eyes is superior in low light to the duplex.

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow in the daylight.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by killindeer

They are similar, but the I think the cabelas is thicker. The z-plex is thicker than the standard duplex, and to my eyes is superior in low light to the duplex.

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow in the daylight.

Yeah if u could snap a pic id appreciate it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't get my phone to focus on the reticle, but I can say that unless Leopold has changed their duplex reticle this year, the z-plex is heavier than the standard duplex, and heavier than I remember the hvy duplex being. Also, the Cabela's scope is identical to the eurooptics Conquest I have.
**edit**
This is as good as I could get for the reticle - no longer own any Leupolds to take a pic of.
[Linked Image]
Side-by-each of Cabelas and Conquest
[Linked Image]

Last edited by bersh; 11/29/16.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ok, y'all talked me into it. Ordered one today. Figured $220 after my 12% active junky cash back, I couldn't go wrong.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anybody use that EXT reticle?It seems kind of thin.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I can't get my phone to focus on the reticle, but I can say that unless Leopold has changed their duplex reticle this year, the z-plex is heavier than the standard duplex, and heavier than I remember the hvy duplex being. Also, the Cabela's scope is identical to the eurooptics Conquest I have.
**edit**
This is as good as I could get for the reticle - no longer own any Leupolds to take a pic of.
[Linked Image]
Side-by-each of Cabelas and Conquest
[Linked Image]

Oh wow. Im almost talked into one now. Guess they used the zeiss #20 reticle in it? Tempting!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought one two summers ago at the cabelas store in SLC. Same price. They are excellent scopes. Just ordered another. With free shipping and some cabelas bucks I had saved up it was $135 delivered. Pretty good deal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bersh,
What are the scope adjustments like?
I have had several Meopta fixed 6x42 scopes
that were great to look thru.
But were a Royal PITA to adjust when
sighting in on a rifle with the
Funky Little rectangle strip you have to
grip to move the adjustments
Hard for me with my arthritis

Molan Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AMRA
bersh,

That's a tough one to answer, as I'm not familiar with that scope, but I will say to me these scopes are as easy or easier than any other scope to adjust. There is a knurled ring that I think has a good gripping surface. The adjustments are positive feeling and sounding, and are accurate.

The turrets look like this (borrowed photo):
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

[Linked Image]

That is the exact same turret that is own the Meopro 3.5-10x44 that I just got from Cameraland.

Last edited by KoolBreeze; 11/30/16.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If somebody has bought one recently....Is the Cabelas / Meopta Z plex same as Zeiss or is it thinner (in the center) which would be comparable to the EXT/BDC?

I like the older Conquest Z plex but heard the Meopta was thinner.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze

[Linked Image]

That is the exact same turret that is own the Meopro 3.5-10x44 that I just got from Cameraland.

Nice little turrets for what they are. One nice feature is that they are resettable (via lifting) once you zero your rifle. Conquests generally adjust right up easily when zeroing.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AMRA
bersh,

Hmm I've had zero trouble out of the two I've owned. Adjusted like any other click turret and they are resettable like Jeff mentioned which I like.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have taken to using the bottle cap opener on my Swiss Army knife to adjust the rectangle on my MeoPro 6x42's turrets as my older fingers fail. These scopes are worth the additional effort.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can even put a sticker up top the turret (of the 3-9x40) calibrated in yards.... as long as your aspirations aren't TOO far off (500, 600 yards) in my experience the Conquest will put hits on vitals sized targets at those ranges reliably when dialed.

Looks like this:

[Linked Image]

.......... and this is just something I noticed in my Photobucket that cracks me up! smile

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
That's a cool idea.

Looks like he's plugged in. smile

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I just ordered 2. They sold out oft he ballistic reticle which is what I really wanted but oh well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
From what I read here and and elsewhere this is a pretty decent scope.

So...

For the first time this ol'fardt is getting a scope that didn't come attached to the purchased rifle.

Now I will need to keep an eye out for something to attach this to...<grin>

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Phoneman
I just ordered 2. They sold out oft he ballistic reticle which is what I really wanted but oh well.

Check again. Looks like both are available as of tonight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only the EXT reticle available this morning. I went ahead and ordered one.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Called in and the price on the phone orders had the duplex reticle for 249.xx as well. Ordered one at that price. Couldn't go wrong...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any idea what size Butler Creeks are needed?

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good thread. Almost makes me want to buy a scope I don't need.

Retired cat herder.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Tempting, but which reticle? I remember looking through the EXT reticle some time ago and thinking it was very thin. Any real world experience with that reticle?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by orfisch
Tempting, but which reticle? I remember looking through the EXT reticle some time ago and thinking it was very thin. Any real world experience with that reticle?

I have the EXT reticle in a Instinct 3-9x40. It's a decent reticle for distance shooting but hunting in lowlight is challenging at dawn and dusk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by devnull
Originally Posted by orfisch

I have the EXT reticle in a Instinct 3-9x40. It's a decent reticle for distance shooting but hunting in lowlight is challenging at dawn and dusk.

That has been my experience in general with those types of reticles. For punching paper and plinking at long range they are fun, but I don't like them hunting in the woods or in low light.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Yup have the #4 in my fixed 6x for a hunting scope it's my favorite reticle by a long shot!

Same here. Far better than a duplex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If anyone needs one of these in an EXT reticle, I would trade for a duplex or sell outright. I screwed up and ordered the wrong one and the EXT is to fine for my tastes. I just unboxed it yesterday and don't want to send it back if someone else could use it.

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought one in a cabelas for $204. It was the last one they had so they marked it way down. May want to check if you're close to a store

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like ballistic reticles but I am glad I went duplex. Haven't had time to inbox mine yet....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bought one with the EXT to thin returned it. Bought a Minox 3x9 X 40 with BDC much easier to see and use.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (1eyedmule, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Ashworth, 10 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.