Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I want VERY lightweight shooting "sticks" - can be tripod, bipod or monopod (like the Primos Gen 2 Trigger Stick) - for shooting antelope from a sitting or occasionally standing position.

I tried a Harris S25 Bipod but it just ruined the weight and balance of my Tikka T3 Lite 25-06.

I won't be shooting prone because Nevada sagebrush obscures my view of everything when I'm laying down.

Has to be light and easy to carry, and ideally would be easy to deploy even when you already have a rifle in your hands, ready for the shot.

Any ideas?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by czech1022
I want VERY lightweight shooting "sticks" - can be tripod, bipod or monopod (like the Primos Gen 2 Trigger Stick) - for shooting antelope from a sitting or occasionally standing position.

I tried a Harris S25 Bipod but it just ruined the weight and balance of my Tikka T3 Lite 25-06.

I won't be shooting prone because Nevada sagebrush obscures my view of everything when I'm laying down.

Has to be light and easy to carry, and ideally would be easy to deploy even when you already have a rifle in your hands, ready for the shot.

Any ideas?

Three extra tall carbon-fiber XC ski poles. I've gotten some pretty high end pole sets inexpensively at garage sales and GoodWill stores. Usually less than 5 bucks a set. Tightly bundle together with several wraps of bungee cord. Slide the bungee cord to whatever height needed for the shooting position chosen. Spread the poles to form a tripod for shooting. Keep bundled together with a second bungee cord wrap for a sturdy walking stick. I remove the handles so the poles can be neatly packed together when bundled.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Cool idea, and certainly inexpensive! Seems like it would be a bit clumsy to set up, though, and the rifle would have to be on my shoulder while getting it rigged up - likely all the time in sight of the pronghorn.

How do you handle that?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by czech1022
Cool idea, and certainly inexpensive! Seems like it would be a bit clumsy to set up, though, and the rifle would have to be on my shoulder while getting it rigged up - likely all the time in sight of the pronghorn.

How do you handle that?

Like most things, it becomes less clumsy with practice.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Light Weight

I've been using Stoney Point shooting sticks for several yrs.
they weigh 17 O Z. 3 sections, telescoping, Bi pod w/forked top rest.

They scope down for sitting, NOT prone. I'm 5'10" and they're plenty tall for standing. Stoney Point has new & newER models so I suggest you check out their W site.

Being Light Wt. they're NOT strong enuff for walking support.

Mine cost $50.00 several yrs ago. WORTH every PENNY.

I never leave home w/o them.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I use sticks pretty heavily for coyote hunting. I tried several of the DIY versions, as well as a few of the commercial varaints. I found that the Vanguard Pro fit my needs better than anything else I found.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I really like my black diamond flick lock hikers. I loop the wrist straps around the other hand grip and create a basket of sorts to rest the rifle in. Jam the tips in the ground and it's a very stable platform from a sitting position.

I've also used Primo's Trigger sticks extensively in Africa - heavy but amazingly good.

Hunt Africa while you can
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
trigger sticks. I like the tripod ones

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
czech,

This company might have some options for you.
Don't know if it quite meets your weight criteria but they'll last a lifetime.

http://www.ultrec.com/product_cf_qcb.html

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the tall Primos Trigger Sticks. They are lightweight and easily adjustable and quickly adjustable.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Another vote for the Primos trigger sticks - good product but maybe a little heavier than you want.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
After several years of successfully using a Bog Pod tripod, I got the urge to try out a Primos trigger stick tall tripod. I find it easier, quicker, and very stout.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The trigger stick is a nice piece of equipment though overpriced IMHO.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought a trigger stick when I forgot to pack my bog pods for my Montana trip this year.I really like the trigger sticks.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another vote for the Trigger Stick. Added a Hog Saddle, which aids a steadier hold.

Whatever sticks are chosen, go practice shooting off of them. Even a little practice will improve the odds of an accurate shot.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I own the Primos tripod Gen 2 Trigger Stick, and IMO it is the best shooting accessory made today. I have sold off several other shooting aids since getting the Primos, including a Bog Pod and Stoney Point stuff.

I have found the trigger stick to be especially helpful when hunting with my scoped handgun, from sitting or kneeling positions. I highly recommend it.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Full-length fiberglass or aluminum archery arrows, with a rubber band wrapped around them at the pivot point, are the lightest and fastest sitting-setup that you'll find.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the Stoney Point/Primos steady stix for years, they are compact, light, fast to deploy, and very steady from the seated position. A pack wedged under the right armpit adds stability for longer shots.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodhits
A pack wedged under the right armpit adds stability for longer shots.
[Linked Image]

That's a good tip - thank you.

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I really like the tall Primos Trigger Sticks. They are lightweight and easily adjustable and quickly adjustable.

I bought a tall Primos TS/bipod this year and will be using it in the coming weeks.
Can still use it sitting but I like the flexibility to use when standing too. It's not often I get to shoot from a sitting position (when on the ground) due to cover and flat land.

WWP53D
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 24 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,483
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.