Print Thread
Hop To
B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My oldest son has developed a appreciation for my pre 64 model 70's and is interested in getting one in left hand for himself. Are there certain ones he should stay away from or ones to look for? He knows he wants a controlled round feed.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You won't find a left hand pre 64, unless it's special made. Mart has one I believe. Other than that, if he wants a classic CRF he'll have to surf the web or local fun shops. I've ran across some nice ones at the local shops around here, but they are few and far between... What chambering is he wanting?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
He is looking for a .27. I know they didnt make any pre 64,
I have heard that some of the post 64 crf models differ in quality I was just trying to get some direction if there were certain ones to stay away from

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Like most post 64 classic CRF's. I'd stay away from the last ones made. QC was spotty at best... Keep in mind the .473 bolt faced LH models bring the most money. Prices are laughable at times to even astonishing. You'll be hard pressed to find one for less than $1,000.00, especially if you are wanting one in stainless.... Blued models will not bring as much, but still approaching the $1,000.00 mark...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The hardest chambering to find in left hand classics are the 270's blued or stainless... their were two distinct runs of the lefties the first batch were all low 6 digits in the area of 117xxx the next run were in the 7 digits if I remember right majority of them were chambered in the wsm''s

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
The hardest chambering to find in left hand classics are the 270's blued or stainless... their were two distinct runs of the lefties the first batch were all low 6 digits in the area of 117xxx the next run were in the 7 digits if I remember right majority of them were chambered in the wsm''s

I was hoping you would chime in. I know you also bought a left hand WSM and it's been a great rifle, if my memory serves me right..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

I was hoping you would chime in. I know you also bought a left hand WSM and it's been a great rifle, if my memory serves me right..
i never owned a lefty in a wsm but I owned several 7 digits but I do own a 6 digit lefty in 270 and that thing is a tack driver

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a thought - you might be money and time ahead to have Montana Rifle Co. build you a lefty rifle or look for a production lefty by them. Not a true M70, but if it is the form and function you want... it might be an option worth considering.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for all the feedback

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TDN
Just a thought - you might be money and time ahead to have Montana Rifle Co. build you a lefty rifle or look for a production lefty by them. Not a true M70, but if it is the form and function you want... it might be an option worth considering.

I'd also look at a Ruger mkII or Hawkeye left hand model as well. You'd really be money ahead and have a lot left over for a good scope... Just a thunk..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

i never owned a lefty in a wsm but I owned several 7 digits but I do own a 6 digit lefty in 270 and that thing is a tack driver

Man, would I love to get my hands on one of those.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have a blued/walnut 7 mag that could use a new home.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have to echo the advice you've received. Either a Montana 99 or a Ruger 77 LH would serve well and be far easier to find than a lefty 70 in 270. You might score a find but they usually go for ridiculous money. I found one in 30-06 several years ago for $850 and cried like crazy at the time. Now I think I got a pretty good deal.

I have two pre-64 model 70's converted to LH. They are out there, as are a few converted Sedgley's and Griffin and Howes on Springfields and Mausers, but not in great numbers. If you see one and don't want it, let me know. I'd be all over a Sedgley Springfield lefty in 270.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 31 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,449
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.