Campfire Regular
Any recommendations for a 9" Logan 400?

[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You'll want an AXA size. Then decide if you want piston or wedge. Piston cheaper, wedge may hold more securely/repeatably. Phase II is pretty good for import or you can pay 4x more for an Aloris. Bostar imports seem to get decent reviews too. I think they are probably all made in the same place.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For 9" swing the AXA is the prescribed holder. I have had excellent service from the wedge model found here.

Shars Tools

AXA set details

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Look for used Aloris or Dorian AXA q/c toolpost and holders.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies. I need to get off the dime and pick one up.

I also see they will take 3/8" tool stock which is good because I have boxes of the stuff.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That is one thing you will kick yourself for not doing years ago.

rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What's your guy's opinions on carbide insert tooling?

I learned everything old school from my Grandfather. A big part of that was grinding your own tools from blanks, including carbide, but the inserts are brazed on. I don't even know if they had indexable bits in his day - he never mentioned it.

I can see where they'd come in handy though - particularly doing threading work. If the tool chipped, you could just swap it out and keep on going.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rlott
What's your guy's opinions on carbide insert tooling?...

Grind your own cutters from HSS or brazed carbide.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both hss and carbide have their uses. A lot depends on what you are working with at the moment. A good, sharp hss bit will many times give you a superior finish on materials carbide won't, and vise versa.

Check out some of the machining sites for really helpful answers as I am far from an expert on any of this. I find The Hobby Machinist to be really good and The Home Shop Machinist has some great guys also.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As others have said, the AXA size is what you'll need. I ponied up for an Aloris, as I try to keep my money here in the US whenever possible. If budget is an issue, watch for used USA made on the on line auctions. Once you start using one, you'll kick your own ass for not doing it sooner!

Jeff

rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks again. I'm putting it on my Christmas list so my wife stops pestering me. laugh

On a different note, speaking of my Grandfather, I was organizing pics and videos and ran across this one that might interest the machinist types on here.

During WW II he built track rollers for the LVT type amphibious vehicles. The stock was thick walled pipe I think about 4” in diameter and about 20 feet long. They would pick it up with trucks at a rail yard about 15 miles from his shop, drag the pipe into the shop with horses, then take the finished rollers back to the rail yard and pick up[ another load of stock. The finished rollers got sent somewhere in Florida for assembly. His shop ran 24/7 for quite a few years and employed half the town. My Grandfather never drank, but he told me when the Japanese surrendered, he went to the back of the shop, killed the power, and the whole shop went to the bar across the road and they all got drunk.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My 12" Logan came with a Swiss MultiFix tool post, which is excellent. My big machine has an Aloris C and it's very solid and repeatable.

Sharp HSS is good stuff but sharp carbide inserts are pretty awesome. Most inserts you'd buy are designed to take a heavy cut (in gunsmithing terms especially) and break the resulting chip. They are for production. May I suggest the very sharp CCGT inserts. They are designed for aluminum and plastic at which they excel, but for light finish cuts in steel, they are superb and you can really sneak up on a dimension, which can be tricky or impossible with the duller production carbide inserts.... they want to take a CUT and will do a skim/grab/skim thing on a very light cut that will make you pull your hair out. The CCGT's don't do that. You can skim a half-thou or less if your machine will do it.

A 10-pack of CCGT's and a holder might be $200 for the good stuff. You'll thank me later. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the speeds your machine turns, hss is the answer. Learn to grind your own and you can get beautiful surface finish at slower speeds. Carbide on a less rigid machine or when slow or stopping is an expensive lesson.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have used Aloris tool posts since I started as an aprentice in the early 1970's, both the piston and the wedge style. In the years since I have used Dorion and Phase III and found both to be well made and well suited. For a home shop or casual user any of these would be satisfactory. Check the classified ads on some of the websites devoted to home shop machining, they can be good sources of equipment at favorable prices that has been well taken care of.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Carbide is great for very rigid high hp lathes and maximizing feeds and speeds for production work and/or for rough high alloy steels and exotic materials.

For one off jobs on older machines and non wonder metals, HSS is your best bet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm partial to the A.R. Warner HSS cutting tools for my Craftsman/Atlas lathe. It's way to flimsy and underpowered to benefit from carbide cutters. As others have pointed out. Nice thing about the ARW tools is, the convenience of replaceable cutters, with the user friendliness of HSS.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/brands.php?brand=A+R+Warner

Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.