Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Amazing how hard guys try to get out of actually shooting.

GB1

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
What I'm saying is you don't need to speed all the extra $$ on these turn key systems from these company's to have a rifle that will shoot as good or better, if your willing to put a little effort in the process !

I don't have the time, 4 kids full time job, and unfortunately I live in a major metropolitan area. So I'd rather shoot the 2-300 rounds and year I get to shoot at long range than spend that time screwing around with load development, fine tuning a rifle, and dealing with a Smith and suppliers who don't typically meet schedules. The retail on the parts list on my build is close to 3500, I would have been in it close to 6 months waiting on a Smith. I had mine in a month.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm with WRO. I don't have time to get components together work on loads and spend critical time trying to get a rifle to shoot. I have a full time job owning my own business, six year old twins. Between making time to spend with my family, coaching baseball and soccer running kids to gymnastics and ice skating lessons and all the extra curricular activities I feel I'm money ahead buying a complete system That I know will shoot well and perform. I would rather spend my limited time practicing on a system I know shoots well verses spending time trying to figure one out.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, I guess I can understand that. If someone has the cash, not the time or inclination to do Loony stuff, that seems to work.

Kenny Jarrett, D'Arcy Echols and others have made careers delivering great products, all the work done, including high end custom ammo, for guys like that.

Some of us would cringe, spending all that when we can do almost as good for a fraction of the cost. And, we enjoy building something ourselves.

I'm not saying my guns will outshoot a Jarrett or an Echols, but they will surely be in the running.

Different strokes...

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
I'm with WRO. I don't have time to get components together work on loads and spend critical time trying to get a rifle to shoot. I have a full time job owning my own business, six year old twins. Between making time to spend with my family, coaching baseball and soccer running kids to gymnastics and ice skating lessons and all the extra curricular activities I feel I'm money ahead buying a complete system That I know will shoot well and perform. I would rather spend my limited time practicing on a system I know shoots well verses spending time trying to figure one out.

Totally understand your point, I put my Family first. I really don't have time to screw around with different things and it is a 1 hour drive to my target range . I will have time for that stuff when I retire smile

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Totally understand your point, I put my Family first. I really don't have time to screw around with different things and it is a 1 hour drive to my target range . I will have time for that stuff when I retire smile

And like you I also did not mention the one hour one way trip to a range where I can safely shoot past 150 yards.

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I reload my own ammo, when they did break in and load development, I mentioned the bullet I wanted to shoot. I ended up with a recipe that shoots under .3 every time.

One of the smiths I was talking to prior to buying a MOA rifle was nearly the same cost with components, but no guaranteed delivery, and no load development.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Understanding this even more. Two new rifles to do load development on and 2 ranges closed in the last year. Found a smaller range 30 minutes away but closed on " my" day off. So drive an hr and 20 to shoot as far as I want. An all day affair that used to take 2-3 hrs. Kids are all grown but moma wants me to ride the ponies on days off also.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am lucky and have 100 yards in my yard and it's 15 min to as far as I can see. So for me I build from parts and do my own development ect. If a guy is hours from a range I can see turn key but talk about take the fun out of stuff.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would like to updat a little on my earlier post regarding Gunwerks. Gunwerks actually contacted me regarding the issues I had. Come to find out there were some issues beyond their control is why the could not get my rifle built. I had ordered a TItanium action and they were having a problem with their TItanium supplier. Long story short they went above and beyond to make me happy again and were very apologetic in not being able to deliver on my original rifle build. Although it took some time for them to contact me I am very please with the end result and I would recommend them again.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

606 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,449
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.