Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone using these for carry? Read mixed reviews on all.

Any feedback welcome.

Always wondered about carrying one cocked and locked - wondered about safety.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had the P938 for quite some time. Never a bobble. Great little gun that conceals very, very well for a serious caliber. It doesn't recoil badly at all, especially compared to a Kel Tec of approximately the same size. The only criticism I have of it are it being fairly difficult to fully load a magazine. That said, it is better to carry a bit bigger gun with a double stack magazine if you can conceal it-which I certainly can in colder weather. The latter is commentary rather than criticism, because the little Sig is what it is, just like other slimline compact 9's.

I have no experience with the other gun. I compared the Sig to a bunch of similar pistols when I got it and it was smaller than all of them except the Kel Tec which I have owned and didn't like a bit. For instance, the Sig works whereas the Kel Tec didn't always. A gun that functions is always a plus.

Take the same precautions you would with any other 1911 type with the Sig. If you want to just drop it in your pocket then you better keep an empty chamber and if you do this, you better practice racking the slide as you draw.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 65BR
Anyone using these for carry? Read mixed reviews on all.

Any feedback welcome.

Always wondered about carrying one cocked and locked - wondered about safety.
My Sig P238 isn't 9mm, but .380, however it's the same category of firearm as you're discussing. I've carried it a few times, but in an IWB holster, not in a pocket holster. To me, even this little gun is a bit much for pocket carry. Very reliable and shootable though. Well made little gun.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Take the same precautions you would with any other 1911 type with the Sig. If you want to just drop it in your pocket then you better keep an empty chamber and if you do this, you better practice racking the slide as you draw.
Yep. I was thinking of adding the same comment in my post, but decided against it since he wasn't asking for opinions on single actions for carry, but if you watch a lot of security camera footage of CCW carriers who were forced to draw and fire at armed robbers, it's always a situation were fractions of a second determine the winners and losers.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good points and info. Thanks for those and any others who contribute.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I understand the 938. It has a firing pin block in the slide. The trigger has to be pulled for the FP to be able to strike the primer. This is one of the reasons the trigger pull is so heavy. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hasbeen1945, You are correct, the Sig 938, is not a true 1911 action! That said, my wife has one and loves it. We even got the .22 RF conversion for it. The conversion doesn't always feed reliably, and with the .22 supply shortage, we have used that option much. The conversion may need more range time, hope to use it more when/if .22's become more available. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Memtb, how does she carry hers. I put mine on half cock with the safety on and drop it in my pocket. Never been a fan of cocked and locked. I think about anyway will work with these. Been thinking hammer down with safety off is ok. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
hasbeen1945, My carries in the purse (which I hate) most of the time, or occasionally in pocket holster. She carries, full cocked, safety on. Doesn't want to go through two-steps to put into service. She also added a Crimson Trace! What weights are you running? I'm still stuck "old school", running 147 Gold Dots. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I carry a 938 in the SIG pocket holster as I mostly wear denim jeans. It's on the heavy side for pocket wear, but it works. People in Idaho are used to guns. Other places it could be a problem. For those places a S&W scandium J frame is a more discrete gun carry gun IMHO. This is what works for me

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wanted to use Buffalo Bore but had a lot of misfires. Switched to Remington 124 Golden Sabers , no problems. 9 m/m is the only caliber hand gun that I carry that I don't reload for.
The BB misfires were primer stricks that you could hardly see. I think the cases were sized to small. Been meaning to try them in my P7M8. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I misspoke I don't load for a 380 either. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my hands, the EMP is the only one of these that functions like a 1911. That is, I can grab it and have is ready to fire in one swift smooth motion every time. Those micros with manual safeties - too much fuss and fumble. Yes - it's a personal problem, but it's real. You might want to check that out before relying on them.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good info. The EMP - 3 or 4" ? How did it or does it shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
In my hands, the EMP is the only one of these that functions like a 1911. That is, I can grab it and have is ready to fire in one swift smooth motion every time. Those micros with manual safeties - too much fuss and fumble. Yes - it's a personal problem, but it's real. You might want to check that out before relying on them.

That's the beauty of the 938. You can chose whether to use the safety or not. You can carry it dry and chamber a round when needed . A lot of options. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

65-, I have the Scorpian model P938 and really like it. No misfires, functions well and I can hit with it. I'm a lefty and carry it IWB, small of the back, with a right hand holster with a clip. Revolver capacity but a flatter profile; very compact but a serious piece.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. Good stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I handled the 938 at the local gun store and I liked what I saw,

Then went to a different gun shop that rents guns,

shot the 938 and also the EMP 4".

The EMP followed me home.

You did mention carry use, after I handled the 938, it just didn't seem to make the most sense,

I would rather carry a G43 or a shield. Pure simplicity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think the EMP was available when I bought my 938. That's the best solution if you live near a place that will rent you one to try or have a friend that will loan you one. Then you can pick the one you like. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The P938 makes a lot of sense when you compare it to pistols in the class of it's own size. The EMP 4 is bigger and heavier than a G19. Wouldn't the simplicity point be the same for it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.